tech who installed my OME kit REALLY jacked something up... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
at least, that's what it looks like to me.

what in the HELL is this white, creamy colored grease stuff that blew out of BOTH of my CV Boots !!!!!

Please tell me this is normal after compressing or installing a suspension.

This sounds like it's gonna cost me thousands.

securedownload.jpg

securedownload2.jpg

securedownload3.jpg

Last edited:
yup.....boots are shot.

apparently, he said it's the new angle.

he said I need to lower my differential with some spacers but that I wouldn't lose any ground clearance as a result. ????

maybe from toytec?

help me out fellas......i'm dyin' over here and have LIMITED funds.

what is this gonna cost me in parts alone?

BOTH sides are blown.

he said i'll need to replace the "axle" as well.....dammit.

I knew this was a bad idea. shoulda left her stock

Am I really going to have to replace the entire assembly? I understand the premise behind the seals being broken and grime, grit, dirt but I can't really afford a thousand dollars plus in parts labor.

Also, how long do I have with highway driving before things go drastically wrong and the assemblies completely fail?

Finally, any reason to fear that prolonged use if I can't afford to fix these things may cause damage to any other components or parts of the truck?

Should I cease running 4 wheel drive?

Thanks fellas.

Sure that's CV spooge?

Looks white, to me, and guess I've never seen one new enough to not be nasty.

How are the boots shot?

Wipe it off, keep an eye on, and if it continues to spooge, can search for any number of aftermarket boot clamps.

My opinion, there's no need for a diff drop for the lifts the IFS is capable of, being 3" or less, as the angles are well within range of what the OE joint is capable of.

Ain't the end of the world and nothing I'd be overly concerned about.

Do what? Really? Looks pretty freakin bad to me. I reckon I could be blowing out of proportion. I doubt it though. The seals have obviously been compromised.

I thought I was right in not worrying about a diff drop from the get go as well.

Is the grease inside if these things NOT white?

Is there any possibility that this was an isolated incident and if so how do I add the grease that was lost?

Do I need knew clamps? I'm on a dirt road so it's fair to assume that at the very least I need to break them down, clean, reassemble and regressed, no?

I never used a differential drop bracket over the 6 years I owned mine.

I'd wipe things down and watch if it reappears. It does not look like the "normal" CV grease to me either. Yes, there is a band clamp fix, I used SS clamps from West Marine that fit perfectly.

I'm with Chris above, take a deep breath and watch it...

Edited: ^^ MTBCoach snuck that one in, but reiterates the following.

How new is your FJC?

I've torn into several CVs and have never seen white grease. Bought new OE CVs for LT axles and it wasn't white either.

There's are some CV lubes that are, so not saying it's wrong, but I ain't seen it before.

It requires a special tool to tighten the OE band clamps and it can't be done on the truck, to my knowledge and devices. The aftermarkets are foil proof, aren't any better, but for those that have significant seepage, it allows for shooting more grease into ends of the boot with an automotive syringe and reclamping, to extend the life of the joint.

By the looks of it, your installer may have allowed for boot to disfigure when installing, forcing a little grease out, who knows?

Like I say, I'd wipe it clean and keep an eye on it for more signs of spooge. If it it's slinging grease everywhere, then an issue that needs to be addressed and there are aftermarket options to reboot/reclamp.

I never used a differential drop bracket over the 6 years I owned mine.

I'd wipe things down and watch if it reappears. It does not look like the "normal" CV grease to me either. Yes, there is a band clamp fix, I used SS clamps from West Marine that fit perfectly.

I'm with Chris above, take a deep breath and watch it...

+1

I've had a 3" lift on mine for almost its whole life (150,000 miles) with no diff drop, and I'm still on my original cv boots. I've also installed dozens of lifts and only ever used diff drop spacers once at the owner's insistence. None of the non-dropped ones ever had any problems that I know of.

While we're all here and cozy....

I have good CVs and new OE axle shafts sitting in a box in the garage that I'd love to be rid of, al broke down.

Would make good trail spares, or if someone wanted to jack with aftermarket boots, make good axles, as they're in good condition, and I'd be willing to offer up in the spirit of Cruiser karma.

I have my hands full, but trying to minimize the size of the horde, and have no use for the axle shafts. Don't want to expend the effort and money to sell as spares, since I doubt I could recoup, anyway.

Last edited:
cool......thanks for easing my mind fellas.

1911 - Is it possible that the boots, being that they sat in one position for 100K miles, shot some grease b/c they were thrown at a different angle and might be good to go moving forward? i don't see any damage persay (rips, tears, etc) to either.

if some grease came out, couldn't some grit and moisture get in?

- based on those pics, how much lubricant did i lose and should I needle some back in?

- going to get some brake cleaner and shop towel and clean up really well and monitor.

- it looks to be the small end of the INNER boots only. anybody know the WIDTH of the clamps I need. I found the estimated diameter (1" - 1-5/8") on another forum is somebody can verify.

- finally, is it true that inner boots take lithium based grease and outer boots take moly based grease?

delancy, what dollar amount we talkin?

my buddy who put my kit on said 100.00 per side and then the diff drop which i'm torn on.

FWIW, I lifted my former 100 series at about 75K miles. It had OE CVs and spooged the same colored grease out of it. I simply reclamped them with McMaster Carr clamps obtained from Pfran on the 100 side of this site. Never had any additional leakage.

I realize it's not an FJC, but the CV axles are at least somewhat similar ....

yeah, roger that....funny you mentioned.

i just ordered some of the SS rolled edged clamps from McMaster an hour ago.

i still concerned about the loss of the grease.

i wonder if i should clip the clamps on the outer/larger sides, gently peel them back some and shoot some white lithium grease back in to replace what was lost. DuPont makes a Teflon White Lithium which looks good.....Still can't find what to use online though.

Inner boots get lithium and outer boots get moly. Any truth?

Personally, I would not worry about it. Unless I am missing something in the pics, you really have not lost that much grease. A little bit goes a long way when it is being flung by the axles ....

If you are worried about the grease, I'd see if Mr. T offers a reboot kit. They do for the 100 series LC and they are not too expensive, just a real pain to install.

You probably didn't lose enough grease to cause a problem. Clean up the boot and replace with a high end marine grade adjustable clamp like what you bought. Make sure the boot isn't torn to be safe.

Don't use cheap wide non stainless bands like most people are familiar with. You need all stainless, a narrower band, and the edges need to be curled up to help not cut into the boot. West Marine has them in singles, McMaster Carr sells them in quantity, and we sell them too in kits with instructions.

http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...duct_id=3&virtuemart_category_id=57&Itemid=33

Don't use cheap replacement axles. They will break off road much easier. I've seen it happen.

NICE NICE NICE

Thanks for all the words fellas......clamps inbound. the SS 9mm wide rolled edged ones too.

replacing this weekend. hoping for the best.

thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom