tech who installed my OME kit REALLY jacked something up... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ x2. A good pair of diagonal cutters on the crimped portion of the band worked well for me.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

FWIW, I have run cheaper hose clamps on mine with no ill effects. Just trimmed off the excess band after tightening down. Broken enough CVs to not have to worry about long term usage of hose clamps.:hillbilly:

clipped the old shotty ones and cleaned up excess grease and grime.

wrapped new ones around and tightened 'em down.....they're a bit wider than the stocks ones......the fit, but they seem to really get down in the groove of the boot better than the stock bands.

not sure if that's good or bad. they're the SS ones with the rolled edges but i'm still kinda concerned they're gonna cut into the boots after a while. the first attempt at replacement went MUCH better than expected; however, checked after a drive to work this AM and I may have tightened TOO much cuz there was a dimple in the boot directly behind the screw clamp portion. loosed her up a bit, spun the clamp and tightened back down.

will report back.

also, NEITHER clamp was in the position I placed them last night.

still tight, mind you, just facing in different directions. i mean, i know the axle spins but......

????

Yeah. No.

The OEM band/clamp looks to be 8mm.

The ones recommended in another forum from McMaster Carr - METRIC - 9347410 - 9mm - 304 SS clamp - 25-40mm.

They're not only too wide but the portion of the clamp that makes contact with the boot rib is even wider and deforms it ever so slightly with a flat portion that the screw enters.

Should I just go to a dealership???

Where in the heck can I find the PROPER hose clamp???

FYI.......For anybody else.

I picked these up.......i know they're not "smooth banded" or have "rounded" edges; however, I'm hoping that if I don't cinch them down TOO tight, they won't tear/rip the boot.

The others i bought, as stated, are deforming the boot b/c the screw portion is compressing the rubber behind it so i'm screwed either way.

Worm-Drive Hose & Tube Clamp with 305SS Screw, 15/16" to 1-1/2" Clamp Diameter Range, 5/16 Band Width

Part # 54195K24

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=pcjgh0

It's nearly 8MM wide so it'll tuck down in the groove of the boot MUCH better than the 9MM I was recommended earlier.

Wish me luck...

RESURRECTION!!!!

So, check it out. After 2 years, one of my boots split and lost all it's grease. So, I opted for two BRAND new factory axles. Had every intention of installing my Toytec Drop Kit; however, COMPLETELY forgot to do so. Need everybody's professional opinion. I'm personally thinking that the flexing of the CV's from the position they sat from the factory after 100K was the culprit not necessarily the lift itself.

That being said, tell me how these boots look to you and if it warrants me installing the diff drop kit. Crappy cell phone pic I apologize. The glare throws it off a bit. None of the ribs in the boots are rubbing or touching. Really conflicted on this right now. Kit is OME Heavies on 285's. Hate to lose the clearance but not sure if it's necessary.

FINALLY, let's assume that I DO add the drop kit. It simply lowers/rolls the front diff down/forward a bit, correct? If so, even with a minimal change in angle, wouldn't this change the overall dynamic/fitment of the front shaft assembly thus simply shifting stress elsewhere?

Thanks Fellas.....

IMG_3261.JPG

Last edited:
I ran 35's on my FJC with Icon's adjusted to clear, came out to ~3.5" lift in the front, before that, ran honest 33's with OME heavies, never installed a drop diff kit nor found the need for one. Never had boots wear out, maybe because I replaced them before 100k?

I see nothing abnormal in your pic, looks as one might expect with that mileage.

I guess I see CV axles as a wear item that needs replacement regularly and if one gets enough mileage out of a set that they wear through the boots, they might feel as though they got their usable life out of that component.

Cool..........10-4. I'm opting to NOT install the drop kit then.....Determined that the pivoting of the diff also can throw the pinion gear at funky angle and even possibly above the oil line.

Also, that's a brand NEW axle. Less than 200 miles on it........I hope they both last w/o the drop kit. Time will tell, I reckon....

I ran 35's on my FJC with Icon's adjusted to clear, came out to ~3.5" lift in the front, before that, ran honest 33's with OME heavies, never installed a drop diff kit nor found the need for one. Never had boots wear out, maybe because I replaced them before 100k?

I see nothing abnormal in your pic, looks as one might expect with that mileage.

I guess I see CV axles as a wear item that needs replacement regularly and if one gets enough mileage out of a set that they wear through the boots, they might feel as though they got their usable life out of that component.

Same experience as Jerry; 175,000 miles on my factory original cv's and boots, and all but the first 10 or 15,000 miles on an Icon (Donahoe) 3" lift. No diff drop.

10-4

Thanks again Fellas..........Does make me feel a bit better. I think the angles look okay. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom