Tailshaft Angles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems a lot better, just need to replace the uni's. Diff is set 1 degree lower.
Appears to have some up and down movement in the ball section of the centre pivot of the cardan joint and missing the compression spring.
May not be serviceable, new ball and pivot is worth $150. So will look at getting another cardan joint shaft made.

Another option for a rear shaft is to have a 80 series front shaft cut down to suit the rear length as these uni joint yokes have a larger working angle. Found this option while reading PLC build where his rear shaft bound up at full droop.
He is spring over thou.
I bought a driveshaft from a GX470 a while back based on White Stripe's recommendation. I'm finally getting around to installing it. The problem is that it has a different bolt pattern. The rear pinion isn't a problem, because I already had a multi-drilled pinion flange from Cruiser Outfitters. Luckily, one of the bolt patterns is the same as the 470 driveshaft. For the record, that bolt pattern is 66 mm x 66 mm.

Builds - PLC build

Do you have any interference issues with the rear shock and diff under compression?
I have a very similar set up and I’m going to have to re mount the shocks though I’m running 40 series leafs on 60 series axle with re drilled spring purchases moving the rear axle back 50mm
8D5CBA67-B8A6-4C9E-B3EE-9E7F8A6F223C.jpeg
729707B3-D89D-47BF-B930-E24F23E3B453.jpeg

Last edited:
pics please.

If nothing else, pointing the pinion up past the tcase output on a leaf sprung vehicle is a sure fire way to make the pinion bind and snap under acceleration (and resulting axle wrap).
Like this though mine does not point up.
540AE5C3-447D-4147-A79D-92DDB3E95016.jpeg

My shocks are mounted as per '71 factory mounting position behind the diff housing not on the lower spring plates.
I am running 60 series rear springs and diff.
Cruiser is still not registered so haven't flexed it out to see if shocks are an issue. Seems ok on the hoist thou.
What tailshaft are you running Matt?
Are your tailshaft uni-joint angles equal?

My shocks are mounted as per '71 factory mounting position behind the diff housing not on the lower spring plates.
I am running 60 series rear springs and diff.
Cruiser is still not registered so haven't flexed it out to see if shocks are an issue. Seems ok on the hoist thou.
What tailshaft are you running Matt?
Are your tailshaft uni-joint angles equal?
Tail shaft is heavy duty custom Chromolly 515mm
Angles are equal.

Sorry I don’t. But here’s a close up if that helps. Hard to photograph but if you zoom in behind the No10 bolt you can just see a indent in the casting for more clearance.

F4EDB658-1992-4ED0-B586-148D3EF1F1A2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom