Supra Turbo Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New Mexico.....close to Colorado as I can
Ok so as I am rebuilding my brothers supra motor for his swap when I saw how closely the manifolds aligned. They are almost the same shape and very close distance. Now the supra has an adapter between the turbo and head. My real question is how well do you think this set up would work with our trucks? I think if I get the adapter machined to fit ours and have a cool little turbo setup. The whole manifold on ebay is about $300 tubing I will weld up between $100-150, one of the lc diesel intercoolers or even a banks for now about $1-300 and just resurculate the blow off so people can't hear it. Finally open the exhaust to about 3 in. so the old girl can breathe. I have the turbo with manifold as my brother upgraded to the single turbo swap so all input would be great. If it works I will make a complete write up with more pictures then details. Also with Christmas season coming up I am stressed and loosing my mind and am pretty sure I am missing some stuff. According to what I have read the fuel system handles up to 20psi with what I think was said if the supra fuel pump is swapped in. I think I also read that the stock internals can handle around 30ish psi. Everyone that has done turbo builds as well the helpful advice would be greatful. Thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

are you trying to run the stock twins or a single? I think stock twins would be too small... actually anything less than say a t61 would probably be too small, but it would be cool to see. I say go for it. But keep in mind theres fuel control to deal with and that can get pricey.

Fuel control I understand I am planning a complete megasquirt computer. Small? I know that the look small but they produce some impressive power. I think it would give a substantial amount of power without having to change much to get it to work and then can later swap over to the bigger single turbo. What you think?

So are you planing on using a turbo set up for a MKIII or MKIV? (One is twin one is single)

Later mkiii with 1j has tt, I think he is talking about the 2J

The mkIII was only offered in north america with the single turbo 7M (87-92). In Japan it was offered twin turbo throughout its production run 87-89 with a 1G and 90-92 with the 1jz. Both the 1G and 1J twins would be to small for the 1fz. The stock twins on my 1J lit off at 2500rpm they are also ceramic turbine and most now are in bad shape. The twins on the stock USDM 2J would be good but they have a ton of plumbing to deal with the sequential turbo setup. You can by pass a few actuators and valves on them but they will not light off well on the 2jz till 4k RPM so on a 1fz it may not be to bad. The USDM twins are also steel turbine and last much longer (rebuildable) at higher boost.

The CT26 on the 7M may work but i think it may choke on the added exhaust the 1fz will pump out.

The stock fuel system with bigger injectors and fuel pump (talking only hardware here) would start having issues around 400-500hp. The MKIV fuel pump runs out of breath at about 450-500hp on a 7m,1j and 2j.

The electronic end has issues around 10psi on an OBD2 95+ 80 series. Sounds like you are getting round that with the megasquirt.

Look forward to see what you come up with.

Ya sorry the2JZ-GTE MKIV twin turbo set up.
IMG_20121217_125729.jpg

Ya sorry the MKIV twin turbo set up.

yeah like I said, should work ok, they have quite a few actuators and valves in the exhaust that may need to be bypassed or eliminated. Search Google for true twin mod for MkIV supra they have lots of info in it.

I always got this in mind .. never had access to spare setup like you .. I believe this will make nice mid range performance on any 1FZ-FE .. and IMOP ( based only in mi crazy mind ) fuel ( injectors and management ) won't be an issue if you stay under 10 - 12 PSI depending on your environment fuel quality conditions ..

I think so as well I was looking at the supra there injectirs are almost spraying what we are with the 1fz and just the swap with the fuel pump and I think this would be pretty easy swap and if I ever see a need to upgrade I will. I think the upgrade valve body bigger pan with lock up conversion and upgraded tranny cooler, oil sump pump delete, engine rebuild, cat delete I am positive this will be la giant amount more power then stock. Also was looking into upgrading the air filter with maybe a CAI but have been having issues I was thinking opening it up to a 3-4 inch with an in closed cone filter to a snorkel but would this be beneficial with the turbo upgrade?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom