Success with Leatherique (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acf said:
Anyone have any success with crack repair? What did you use and how?

I have used the crack repair on three old benzes and it works wonders where there is minimal flex. If the crack is in an area where there is maximum flex, it will eventually work itself out of the crack. HTH.

tiorio said:
There are two ways to dye leather, spray on and dye and the LC has sprayed on and therefore if you sand you'll be sanding the dye off the leather...not the best idea...

Anyhow, Leatherique will not work miracles after one application on LC leather for the same reason. You need quite a few applications to penetrate the dyed layer on top...

Light sanding may be ok but it's kinda like clearcoat, don't polish too hard or you won't have any clearcoat left!

Actually, almost all automobiles have a sprayed on dye, I am not aware of any truly dye'd leather in automobiles except for maybe fine Connoly leathers that are natural or neutral tones. These technically would not be dye'd but tanned. Anyway, I respectfully disagree that several treatments are required; my first application on my 80 worked wonders as it has on each and every vehicle I have used it on. Keep in mind that the dye is designed to breath and therefore allows the product to penetrate just as easily as it allows your sweat to penetrate the leather. If the spray on dye were really so impermeable, you really would not want to sit on your seats; sitting on the seats would be like wrapping yourself with plastic. A suffocating and sweaty experience. Lastly, I do not recommend sanding the leather unless you are re-dye-ing your leather. If the seats truly are gummed up or gunked up with silicone or other products, just clean them with the cleaner and then do the regular treatment. I agree that 400 grit is super soft as sandpaper goes but trust me, take the time to clean the leather instead of sanding it. HTH

Anyone know of a spray on dye company? My Gray seats in my 93 are looking like they need a 'tune up' and having used Leatherique in my BMW, I can't see it working well in the older LC's with the harder leather.

Jim

acf said:
Anyone have any success with crack repair? What did you use and how?

Yes, several successes with crack repair cream. The crack repair will not work well where the leather flexes lots though. In other words, most of the areas of the leather of the cruiser! The crack repair will work wonders where the leather flexes little if any at all. I've used it on the rear decks and front dashes of two old Mercedes Coupes, I've also used it on door panels but again, most of the cruiser leather flexes lots since it is in the seats that cracks are common. It wont hurt to try the stuff on seats, just prepare for the future to pop the crack repair cream out of the crack. I guess the worst would be that the repair area would want another repair! Also keep in mind that the crack repair cream is not colored so along with the crack repair cream, you will have to get the dye to match the rest of the leather. HTH

Just a quick little update. Ordered myself a couple of gallons of leatherique pristine clean and rejuvinator oil for Christmas and did the rig before heading up to colder climates (to help avoid cracks in the frozen stiff leather)...

Contrary to the experience of others I still get MUCH better results with 3 applications of rejuvinator over the course of 2 days than just one application. Also did the following in this order:

Pristine clean (everything, this stuff is good on vinyl as well)
Rejuvinator oil, hand apply and leave a lot on the seats and in the seams.
Heat up truck (I normally park it in the sun but it's raining in CA??? so I idled it with heat on full and set to recirc)
Let sit for 6-8 hours.
Wipe off nasty oily gum that is pushed out of leather by rejuvinator oil
more fresh rejuvinator/heat/wipe as needed. I needed to do it 3 times to get the tough areas soft again.
Finish with pristine clean again or you'll be sitting on a mess of gummy leather oils!

Also, you might want to AVOID the steering wheel with rejuvinator oil. Where the leather is worn, the rejuvinator seems to lossen the dye/coating and cause it to come off. Pristine clean is fine but don't scrub too hard, the coating on the wheel is most likely pretty worn on most of our rigs!

Is this discount still available?

Hehe, worth a shot right?

They gave me a discount a couple of years ago when I mentioned Mud.

I'm going to give them a call today.

No more discounts. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom