Strange Headlight Behavior = Dirty Fuse! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd seen this a couple times before, but it goes away before I can track it down. Today, it happened again. I was behind a shiny car and noticed one side of my headlights seemed dim. When I got to work, I popped the hood and wiggled the ground wires and headlight sockets, no help. I then flipped it to high beam and they all worked, and when I flipped it back both low beams were good again. Crap! I hate a problem that goes away before I can locate it!

On my way home, sure enough it was back to dim on the right and bright on the left. The strange part was that the right low beam and both high beams were dimly lit. I was thinking a bad ground, so I measured the voltage at each ground connection with respect to battery minus, expecting zero volts if good, and something between zero and 12 if it was a bad ground connection. They all measured out fine.

This time, I was careful not to try high beams as that made the problem go away each time before. I opened the fuse cover under the hood and when I pressed on the Right headlamp fuse, all came back to working again! Ah Ha! The fuse filament looked fine, but the connector tabs on the fuse were kind of dull gray. I replaced it with a new shiny Littelfuse 15A and it is good again. The old one appeared to be original as it was made in Japan.

I may still have a bad or deteriorating fuse socket, and I didn't change the Left (driver's) headlamp fuse. I did pull the Left one, and it behaves the same way - 3 dim but right low beam bright.

It also seems like previous times were when it was rainy out, like yesterday. Hmmm...

Now, why do the other 3 light up very dimly? If you look at the EWD you will see there is a path through those 3 lights that becomes the preferred and only path when a fuse is out.

I just wanted to share. If you see this, you will now know why too!

Cheers!

20150417_170055_edited.jpg

I've always heard that fuses are not a wear item, basically only replace them if they blow. Do you think this was a one-in-a-million/poorly manufactured fuse situation of would there be a case for preemptively replacing all your fuses? If you all ready have a set of spare fuses (everyone should, costs like $5) maybe theres a case to be made for replacing all of them to avoid electrical gremlins. Curious to see what people have to say.

I've always heard that fuses are not a wear item, basically only replace them if they blow. Do you think this was a one-in-a-million/poorly manufactured fuse situation of would there be a case for preemptively replacing all your fuses? If you all ready have a set of spare fuses (everyone should, costs like $5) maybe theres a case to be made for replacing all of them to avoid electrical gremlins. Curious to see what people have to say.

The funny thing was that when I went to grab a new fuse out of my drawer, it also was all gray instead of shiny. I then opened a box that had new fuses and they were shiny, so I used one of those.

I think the better approach would have been to use some De-Oxit spray. Maybe pull the fuse, spray the socket a bit, work the fuse in and out to clean the contacts, and go on about what you were doing before.

There are some s***ty fuses out there, and I had a couple in my interior fuse panel. They have a strange numbering font on them compared to the rest of the fuses.

I also had one of those big square things go bad on mine. I think it is listed as a fusible link, but not the fusible links everyone is familiar with. There are two of these in the interior fuse panel, one pink and one tan, IIRC. I shotgunned them both.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom