Speed bleeders dripping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used speed bleeders on both front calipers when I replaced them.

My FJ60 is in the middle of a V8 transplant, so it hasn't moved sInce I installed the calipers.

Today while I was under there, I noticed a drip of brake fluid down the caliper and dust shield. They are as tight as I dare torque them.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I will dig the stock bleed screw up and swap them, but I am surprised.

I put them on my 60 and my 80. One year later they were in the trash. (This was 5 years ago.) One might have leaked, I don't remember, but seems like it. Main reason was that 3/4 of them simply froze up, so they wouldn't bleed. The old-fashioned two person method takes time, but always works. I eventually copied ntsq's vacuum pump method, that works awesome.

I have not had them leak when they are seated. Maybe you have some rust or crud the seat that is preventing a good seal? Were the calipers new new or newly rebuilt--If the latter, could the seat be pitted?

The speed bleeders I got came with some sort of thread lock compound on them. This is now worn away and they are a little loose when backed off the seat and I worry about air leaking into they system past the treads. But I have not experienced them leaking while seated.

Tried them on the front this weekend, could never get them to stop streaming fluid. Got to the point I just didnt want to tighten them anymore without fear of stipping them. I have them on the back though and they have worked great.

Sounds like a bad set.

If they seat properly, there is no way for them to leak.

This is the Speed Bleeder to use for the 60 series. In Stainless Steel. It will never rust.

speed bleeder sb1010_ss fits FJ60.jpg

Installation instructions are available HERE.

It does not take much torque to tighten them up so they'll seal. See link above.

Alternatively, a Mityvac hand vacuum pump comes with a bunch of accessories, including a brake bleeder canister. It works really well too on normal brake nipples.

I used for them a few years but have gone back to stock. Jam jar & a piece of rubber hose works just as well.

Tossed mine, too. And unfortunately, like Seth, am back to the pickle jar, hose and unhappy :princess: pressing the brake pedal!

Alf: No helper necessary. Pour a few inches of brake fluid into the jar, clamp the hose to jar so its submerged, pump, refill reservoir, repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom