Spare Tire Lift??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would be nice to have an updated page on this mod with pics on how to do it...

Since this is an older thread and most of the pics are gone does anyone have a pic of the spare installed with this mod that shows how much higher the tire is? I don't want to buy a bunch of hardware and spend time on this if the gain is marginal.

my spare tire lift courtesy Adam R actually levels out the tire.

My 315-75-16 km2 fits under there just fine. Before, the front edge hangs down below the axle tube reducing ground clearance. Now it sits perfectly level and my ground clearance is restored.

There is still a lot to be desired from the depart angle viewpoint, but for daily use, it's convenient and low C of g.

details here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/388501-largest-tire-will-fit-oem-tire-carrier-2.html

Am getting closer to doing this and have a question...

I know folks have tried to figure out what size tire will fit in that stock location and there is a lot of guess work with how many washers will fit to raise whichever size tire. Now, with a stock size tire, instead of "how many washers" to do the job, has any one figured the actual amount of space (distance) that the stack of washers occupy? For example..."It took 20 washers...that came out to 5cm..." I ask because I wonder if it would be easier to use a section of metal pipe, etc, cut to the proper length instead of washers?

Why can the guy in the video use 5 inch spacers and others have suggested a maximum spacer of 2.5 inches?

Would that be related to hitch issues and clearance?

He probably lifted the mount higher up but the tire will only go up the 2.5" since it will hit the cross member, if you notice in the video hit tire isn't any further up than ours.

He probably lifted the mount higher up but the tire will only go up the 2.5" since it will hit the cross member, if you notice in the video hit tire isn't any further up than ours.

Makes sense thanks for the info

Might consider trying to get mine done this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom