Builds SouthernSS Build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ASFIR aluminum skids are awesome. I have tested the limits of mine and they hold up :)

which ones fit the gx? Anything from the 4runner or FJ?

which ones fit the gx? Anything from the 4runner or FJ?

They sell an FJ kit that bolts right up. Just call Eli at Camel 4x4 and tell him I sent ya, he will hook you up

Great looking rig, glad I got to see it in person this last weekend. Hopefully next year I'll be able to fall in line behind you and watch this thing go to work.

Funny: My 8 yr old son saw your GX in the parking lot at Super Lift and said "Dad!! Think we can do that to mom's??!". Her '06 will be my DD in a couple years and I'm tempted---especially if you start fabbing those front bumpers and selling them....:grinpimp:

Looking forward to seeing what you do for the rear/underbody protection.

Thanks,
JWP

Great looking rig, glad I got to see it in person this last weekend. Hopefully next year I'll be able to fall in line behind you and watch this thing go to work.

Funny: My 8 yr old son saw your GX in the parking lot at Super Lift and said "Dad!! Think we can do that to mom's??!". Her '06 will be my DD in a couple years and I'm tempted---especially if you start fabbing those front bumpers and selling them....:grinpimp:

Looking forward to seeing what you do for the rear/underbody protection.

Thanks,
JWP
Same for me......I saw this truck last week at the SCC, and it was truly an awesome looking truck! (Started LOTS of conversations) Like you, LR80, my wife's '03 is getting to the age / mileage where it could easily be "repurposed," so I'm looking at possibly transforming hers as well.

SouthernSS, apparently you've seen this as well, but I think there's beginning to be a decent-sized market for GX upgrades. People have finally recognized their capabilities (even though one of the magazines - cant remember which 4x4 mag - voted it 4 wheeler of the year in both '03 and'04), and with the prices finally coming WAY down, I believe you're going to see more and more of these trucks on the trails......why not wheel in luxury, right??

Fully agree :)

Thanks for all the compliments fellas.

Thanks for all the compliments fellas.

I just stumbled upon this thread and could not be any Happier!!!! I just got an 06 gx and have been searching for a worthy bumper thats strong and looks good. I believe this fits the bill quite nicely. Im in Baton Rouge also. Came over from the fjcruiser forum. Any plans of selling these?

I just stumbled upon this thread and could not be any Happier!!!! I just got an 06 gx and have been searching for a worthy bumper thats strong and looks good. I believe this fits the bill quite nicely. Im in Baton Rouge also. Came over from the fjcruiser forum. Any plans of selling these?

Yes, thats the plan. I'm in the final preperation stages before production starts. The IH8MUD forum will be the first to know, I promise.

Thats awesome bonner! That must have taken quite a bit of time. :cheers:

1. drill out the toyota emblems, using smallest drill bit possible.
2. Fill the sunken toyota emblem with bondo and sand smooth.
3. remove lexus symbols from donor caps. I used the es/is/gs center caps for my donors. You should only need some needle nose pliers to get them out. You'll want to keep the mounting legs attached, but only half of the pair that make up a single leg. You'll see what I'm talking about. Snip one of the little suckers off so that you still have 3 distinct securing locations but smaller to allow for error.
3. Using the lexus donor caps, transfer the mounting locations to your newly sanded smooth toyota caps. I placed the lexus cap inside the toyota cap, as if they were spooning, and then blasted the back side with some high visibility paint so that I'd have marked locations to redrill for the lexus symbol.
4. Once you get all of your toyota caps bondoed, sanded, and re drilled for the lexus symbols, you'll just have to paint and then epoxy the symbols in. Once I had the symbol set just right into the newly drilled holes, I used a toothpick and some jb weld from the back side to ensure they didnt go anywhere. This is where you'll see the need to trim the mounting legs, because its difficult to get the new holes in the cap drilled just perfectly so that the symbol fits just right.
5. Drink beer!:beer:

Oh, and dont be too over zealous when you sand the bondo over the toyota symbol. Because you'll have to use just your fingers and sand paper, there will be a natural tendency to dip into the toyota symbol as you sand. THis will cause the original toyota symbol to show through in the background no matter what you do. Fill it up nicely and stop sanding once you get a nice symmetrical little dome over the whole center section of the cap. I stopped with a 180-220 grit.

Have fun....it's tedious, but rewarding! :popcorn:

lol....I hated doing it. It's been my second set after I did mine on my car. I've grown to dislike it very much but have learned these little secrets over the two sets and it was a pain.

I just dont think I have it in me to do it again. Plus, my wife would flip a lid if I sold parts off her truck.

I've forgotten to mention that I'm meeting with the metal fab shop to determine the best way to manufacture these bumpers next Thursday.

*snicker* I am just powder coating my Lexus wheels (17s) flat black vs. changing them out.

I admire your persistence Bonner, but still no dice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom