Builds SouthernSS Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No drilling needed. There is already a hole there on the furthest back bolt. ARB uses a little rod that you insert a nut into, you can then hold the nut in place while you tighten the nut. The rod stays in the frame for you to tighten the bolt. It is quite clever. The front most one i think you do have to drill out a captive nut, IIRC.

Are you also in BR? And yes definitely. I am getting a BIOR rear bumper hopefully by the end of the week. Me and some folks will be installing it probably this saturday if it makes it here by Friday. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up.

Interesting, thats something I'll look into.

Yes, born and raised in Baton Rouge. Are you a member of the Louisiana Land Krewesers? I've been wanting to join up for a while now, but I wanted build up the truck first.

I'd love to meet up and help install the rear bumper. I'll PM you. I'll have to see what the warden has in her books this weekend. Dont tell her I said that.....

Interesting, thats something I'll look into.

Yes, born and raised in Baton Rouge. Are you a member of the Louisiana Land Krewesers? I've been wanting to join up for a while now, but I wanted build up the truck first.

I'd love to meet up and help install the rear bumper. I'll PM you. I'll have to see what the warden has in her books this weekend. Dont tell her I said that.....

Same here.
Yup, member from day one. Lots of good folks in the club, with a few of us in BR.
Bumper arrived today so we will be installing Saturday. Check out this thread for some more info. You should definitely join LLK!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/la-louisiana-land-krewesers/565442-meeting-thread-5.html#post7816972

I'm in Baton Rouge. Did a stint up in Monroe during college, which is where I fell in love with off-roading and my wife, but settled back down here because of work and family.

Finished up designing the lower support brackets. I'm pleased with the design, but they still need final welding. It makes installation a breeze and will make that section of the frame solid, especially so for winching. I used 1/4" plate and 3/16" support and turned it into an angled u-beam. It provides support on the actual bumper itself by those three bolts and also on the back of the 1/8" plate that has the stock frame bolts through it.

Dont mind those rusted out bolts, it was the only thing I could find in my bolt/nut bin. All hardware will be grade 8.

20120808_183631.jpg

20120808_183719.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I am really liking the build so far and am anxious to see it. Is it your DD? I am also in BR and will be helping with the bumper install this weekend. You should drop by if you get a chance so we can drool over your GX custom fab work! :cheers:

It's my wife's daily, but she refuses to drive it until its completely done and painted/bedlinered. I think it looks awesome mad max style.....she does not.

I've gonna try a swing by in the morning, we have this party to attend from my paying job in the afternoon, then watching nieces and nephews the rest of the day.

UPDATE:

got the "splash" guards designed and bolted up

20120810_173008.jpg

20120810_171030.jpg

20120810_171059.jpg

20120810_171155.jpg

Forgot to show you guys the changes I made for flex clearance. It just flexes right past the oem fender now, but still looks like it matches up nicely.

20120810_171143.jpg

ALMOST DONE!!! All I need to do now is design a box for the washer bin, then its off to be finished out! My wife will be SOOO happy to get her truck back.

Last edited:
Man that is looking spectacular!!! You gonna be able to give it back to the wife? ;)

-Daniel

well, I brought it close to the existing structure there to keep it out of the way of the tire track. Are you suggesting that I include a bottom plate there as part of the splash guard? to cover the bracket area from the side view?

I'm picking up some more sheet metal today. I think I'll give it one more go.

I would think you'd want that for tire clearance when you compress the front suspension.

I get what he's saying about a pie shape, but I don't think it's too bad and once it's painted (assuming its black) it will likely blend right in. If you were going to "extend" that section, maybe it should be removable for larger tires?

-Daniel

I dont see your possible fix in yellow, Bonner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom