1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

soa ?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by kc_chevota, Apr 7, 2003.

1. kc_chevota

kc_chevota SILVER Star

for those of you who hav done a soa how did you do the u bolts on the pumpkin side? ??? i did turn my axle and now it looks like im going to need to make custom bolt plates and a strange shaped u-bolt for the long one. pics would be great also :dunno:

2. cruzer

cruzer

Use the spring spacer that is on top of the axle. grind it off and put it on the bottom. also take a look in the tech section...there is a ton of SOA info there....

Stew

3. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    For that front u-bolt that doesn't wanna wrap around the center section....PITA....

I used a fairly long u-bolt....installed it first onto the plate and it is maybe 2-3" ahead of the center pin where you want it aligned. A pry bar, some careful tightening, more pry bar work, and I effectively twisted it into position to align properly. When mine comes off now it's still tight, but it has flexed itself into a pretty good fit. No problems after more than 5 years.