Builds SLOW 71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Small update on my rear axle. Some of you know I had ordered a Rough Stuff axle housing, waited two months and never got it done. I since learned about Front Range and their Diamond axle, so I went with them and everything turned out good. If I had questions or problems, I called and talked to Brian the owner, very nice.

There can be a lot of small details that pop up that you just have to work through. We used 4runner brakes which I used up front, also. Thinking that would work with my wheels, oh no, I had to grind on the calipers and used a 1/4 spacer to keep them off the wheel. pulled everything apart and put in longer ARP wheel studs.

Then there's the parking brake cables. Not that easy to match up two 4runner cables to one 60 cable, a lot brackets and experimenting. Just about have it wrapped up and I'll move on to the exhaust leak at the header collectors. Need to get this done, CruiseMoab is coming up fast.

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

I'm very happy the way things turned out with this axle, a good company and I didn't feel bad spending money with them.

That sure looks great and really stout. Should get a lot of miles out of it.

Yup, Cruise Moab 20th Anniversary is coming up fast, alright. You are going to find the Diamond axle to be bulletproof so you might as well sign up for Pritchett, Behind the Rocks and everything else difficult!:clap:
One question: did you look into the 4+ U-bolt flip kit for the front and rear axles? Sorry if I missed earlier discussion if you have.

I had the 4plus kit on the back when I suffered with the stretchy nut syndrome. We had to jack the back in order to get a socket on some of the nuts. After that ordeal, I went back stock position. Also upgraded to 5/8ths U-bolts and hopefully no more stretchy nuts. :)

We picked some of the same trails as last time, hoping you'll be leading again.

Ron,

Couple questions, when you say “We used 4runner brakes which I used up front” are you saying you used the same calipers front and back or 4runner brakes front and back? How did Front Range and or Diamond axle address the oil seal at the hub side to prevent oil from mixing with the bearing grease?

Looks good!!

Jim,

the front brakes are from a mid nineties 4runner and are front brakes, dual pistons. The backs are from a 2007 4runner and are rear brakes, single piston. I just assumed they would be fine with my wheels, so much for assuming.

The Diamond axle has an inner seal at the end of the tube, next to the pumpkin.

Small update on my rear axle. Some of you know I had ordered a Rough Stuff axle housing, waited two months and never got it done. I since learned about Front Range and their Diamond axle, so I went with them and everything turned out good. If I had questions or problems, I called and talked to Brian the owner, very nice.

There can be a lot of small details that pop up that you just have to work through. We used 4runner brakes which I used up front, also. Thinking that would work with my wheels, oh no, I had to grind on the calipers and used a 1/4 spacer to keep them off the wheel. pulled everything apart and put in longer ARP wheel studs.

Then there's the parking brake cables. Not that easy to match up two 4runner cables to one 60 cable, a lot brackets and experimenting. Just about have it wrapped up and I'll move on to the exhaust leak at the header collectors. Need to get this done, CruiseMoab is coming up fast.

View attachment 1419375

View attachment 1419376

View attachment 1419382

I'm very happy the way things turned out with this axle, a good company and I didn't feel bad spending money with them.

Crazy! So that is the 4Runner parking brake set-up?

Yes, Front Range has a machined plate that the brakes bolt to and takes the FJ60 hub. You have to use the newer 4runner brake cables, then build something to adapt them to your cable that runs up to whatever handle you use. I have an FJ60 handle mounted outside of my seat with the cable running back. The bracket I made holds the two 4runner cables and will pull tight when I set the brake. I'm on revision 5 today! :) Should of just went with Line Locks.

I had the same issue with wheel clearance. I took the easy way out and put 16 inch wheels on though. I too have thought about line locks, we had them on out fork lifts and they worked great. Let me know how they work out when you install some.

Problem is, I already have 16" wheels. I did some grinding and added a 1/4" spacer. I'm determined to get the cable brakes working, but still might add Line Locks, just for back up.

once you get the cable drama worked out, you'll feel fine with the mechanical ebrake.

I'm back on it today, hopefully get past it and on to something else. I've got to notch one of the frame braces, so the cables function smooth. Sat under the 55 for an hour yesterday with three different cutting implements, testing which will work the best. Sure it's in the worst spot possible!

the best ones always are...

Headed back to the hot rod shop to get the exhaust fixed. This should be one of the last big projects, but never say never.

Here's a couple of shots next to the big boy..

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

I'm not liking the stink bug look it has now. I put two leaves in the back, so it wouldn't droop and now the front has settled down. it is empty with a half tank of fuel. What do you think?

Headed back to the hot rod shop to get the exhaust fixed. This should be one of the last big projects, but never say never.

Here's a couple of shots next to the big boy..

View attachment 1425277

View attachment 1425279

I'm not liking the stink bug look it has now. I put two leaves in the back, so it wouldn't droop and now the front has settled down. it is empty with a half tank of fuel. What do you think?
Give it time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom