Sleeping Platforms w/o removing backseat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On my short bed Taco....I built a shelf that pulls out to extend my platform. This allowed me to sleep in a 50" bed! The only problem is you have to sleep with the back open.

I have thought about this a little bit but something like below. I want to set up a cage something like this: https://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marketplace/376809-speski-off-road-cargo-barrier.html that could fold up and down and you could lay on if needed. It would hinge on a rear drawer system that I am planning on building.

I don't like the pieces folding back and not being able to slide things in easily. Sorry for the quick 'paint drawing...
Rear Drawer setup.jpg

I really like that idea. Using the piece that would fold down as a barrier instead of it folding down on the drawers, so that it's functional in both positions.

My only concern with that system would be finding a way that would make it easy to take down from the cargo barrier position, and if it'd be something I'd want to do while out and about to use it as a sleeping platform.

From the pictures of the barrier you sent it looks like it's a pretty permanent set up, or at the very least, something that'd be a pain to take down and put back up when out camping, but maybe there'd be someway to design a quick release pins or something on each position to make it easy to switch from vertical to horizontal and then back again?

I am very much still in the planning fase of this system. What gave me the idea is the thread posted before and https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/514927-milford-cargo-barrier-pics-installed.html. My rear storage/sleeping platform that I would like to use is similar to this: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/381803-line-xd-my-interior.html.

I am sure a quick pin system could be put together for it or just a couple of bolts would be okay for me on hinge system. I don't have the measurements to even know if using a cage would be long enough or to long to even work.

mmuthart, could you post a pic of one of your folded sections at 90degrees please? I would like to see its clearance with the roof/door pillars etc.

Thanks!
Richard

mmuthart, could you post a pic of one of your folded sections at 90degrees please? I would like to see its clearance with the roof/door pillars etc.

Thanks!
Richard

I think I see where some are going with this. Unfortunately, there's a problem. To get the 'leafs' in a full upright position with the 2nd row seats in their up position, the hinge on the platform will have to be moved towards the back of the vehicle. This will end up shortening the length of the bed. Jrob80 suggested a bi-fold of some sort on the leafs to get the upright barrier and a full length bed.
LeafUp1.jpg
LeafUp2.jpg
LeafUp3.jpg

Here are some pics of my rear drawers. I only run one seat in the back to save on weight and to give me a little extra space. It converts to a bed pretty simple all I do is fold the passenger rear seat down and put two stiff legs in 4 screws and my bed is ready. I have storage on the left and right hand sides of the drawers too. I could have used hinges but some Velcro stapled to the wood works just fine for the side storage .
image-3731566012.jpg
image-2661881814.jpg
image-2628941099.jpg
image-606969106.jpg

RSHARPfzj80 said:
Here are some pics of my rear drawers. I only run one seat in the back to save on weight and to give me a little extra space. It converts to a bed pretty simple all I do is fold the passenger rear seat down and put two stiff legs in 4 screws and my bed is ready. I have storage on the left and right hand sides of the drawers too. I could have used hinges but some Velcro stapled to the wood works just fine for the side storage .

Wow. That thing looks stout. Is it 3/4" ply?

A few more pics. .
image-3115337799.jpg
image-1825816177.jpg
image-221677901.jpg

Yeah it's 3/4. I used 3 &1/2 sheets

Last edited:
The basic design that's been discussed here is pretty much what I did with my 60. Here are some pics of my setup. One of the first projects I attempted after I got my 60 about a year and a half ago. Came out pretty decent and gave me a lot ideas of how to approach the project when I eventually redo it.

I started by gutting the interior.

%255BUNSET%255D

I should also note that I live in a small apartment, no garage, no driveway, no workshop. So between working in the street and in my kitchen, I think this came out alright.
%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

I laid down some sound dampener (Quiet Crap) and cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting from home depot that I used to replace both the original cargo area carpet as well as line the cargo box.

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

A few beers makes the process go much more smoothly...

%255BUNSET%255D

I threw it in the back of the truck and put very low profile rubber feet on the bottom to keep it about a half-inch off the floor. When its empty I can literally pull it out in 2 seconds, but otherwise it fits really snug and never shakes or moves around. I think this was pure luck as I was doing all the cutting with a circular saw and my lines are certainly not straight.

%255BUNSET%255D

I just used a couple L brackets on each side to support the removable side panels, along with a small piece of 2x4 that I secured to the quarter panels. Not very professional, but it gets the job done.

%255BUNSET%255D

When I fold the rear seat down, I just slide this sleeper panel into place and screw those two lengths of pipe. I saw that setup somewhere here on MUD and copied it - alas I cannot remember who I stole it from, my apologies for lack of proper citation. I like to give credit where it's due.

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

I used quarter-inch plywood for everything. At first I thought it might have been too thin, but it holds my 180lb ass, my much smaller girlfriend and the dog no problem.

%255BUNSET%255D

So far so good with it. Multiple camping and wheeling trips up in the Sierras and a two week venture through Baja. Just enough room for a 6' guy to stretch out and the drawers underneath hold 4 gas cans nicely.

IMG_2584.jpg

WadeGreenwood, that's great. Exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm going to copy your design but with 1/2" ply for my somewhat heavier ass.

Thanks for posting those pictures up.

Glad it was helpful. A few notes regarding things I learned during the process:

- 1/2" is probably a good call for overall durability.

- The sides of the wheel wells (at least on my cruiser) are not perfectly flat and vertical. We're talking fractions of an inch here, but the space between the two wheel wells is slightly less as you move up than it is when you measure at the base of them. Take this into account when building your box.

- I really like the storage setups that guys have done inside the rear quarter panels, I tried to build my box with access to these in mind, though I'm still toying with what the optimal setup would be.

- I have one large piece of plywood that slides into place for my sleeper panel. I'm planning to cut it in half and put a hinge on it because when the rear seat is up and this piece sits on top of the storage box, it makes accessing the little side storage units difficult because the 'lids' are under this sleeper panel.

- I would also recommend putting some padding between the top of the box/sleeper panel and the carpet. I always use a sleeping pad when I'm back there but a little added cushion would be nice. The dog has also requested this for when she's riding back there.

If I had to do mine all over again I would have probably went with 1/2 inch, but since it's been in the truck for about 2 years I guess I'll just have to leave it. It has definitely served its purpose for those cold and rainy nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom