should I skip cb and just go to HAM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Something to consider - quad band radios do the CB frequencies (29m), and FM and AM, and the normal HAM frequencies along with 800mhz which is the emergency (cops). You can only scan 800 and radio frequencies (though I understand you can over come this - though I'm not terribly hip on becoming a felon for transmitting on cop frequencies).

There are a few other things. First is relays - all cell towers have HAM repeaters, HAM repeaters don't transmit cell frequencies - meaning, no matter where you are, if you can hit a repeater you can get help anywhere. On the upper HAM frequencies that help could come from Russia.

I have all sorts of radios, Kenwood to ICOM to the Baofeng $30 radios. I like the $30 radios because they work really well and are well-price if they get lost.

To the CB question - the TYT radio, quad band, was $239.00 and $70 for an antenna. I like having multiple radios but that's because I do emergency response so more radios can be really useful.... though if I had to choose just one, it'd be the TYT and maybe a motorcycle MP3 system that I tied the TYT into (it has a speaker out). Chinese radios are decent quality - the Kenwood has nice features and the ICOM is as reliable as a brick, but they cost 3x the TYT.... and that price difference (to me) really isn't all that.

About broadcast on HAM frequencies - I know people who got cited very recently and the scuttlebutt is the Feds are cracking down on unlicensed use of those frequencies.... prior to them being cited, never heard of anyone being cited but now there are 4.

Most of those people cited are jammers and in one location.
When you are communicating in a mobile manner, you can't be caught. especially in a city. If you are the only car in the middle of nowhere, that's a different issue.

I know nothing of which you speak. But I'm gonna post this anyway.
Many logging operations around here will post a CB channel at the bottom of the road. So it's handy, even if you are out on your own poking around, to be able to hear where the log trucks are, announce where you are/going if necessary, and stay out of the way.

Something to consider - quad band radios do the CB frequencies (29m), and FM and AM, and the normal HAM frequencies along with 800mhz which is the emergency (cops). You can only scan 800 and radio frequencies (though I understand you can over come this - though I'm not terribly hip on becoming a felon for transmitting on cop frequencies).

<SNIP>
Do you have a brand and model for that radio? I am unaware of any radios that operate in the Amateur frequencies and in Citizens Band.

Just go monitor CB by a truck stop for a while and tell me you want CB to have more range. Vulgar would be a kind description of what you hear. The words lunatic and fringe also come to mind.

Then again. Some of what I've heard on one of the 2m repeater around here doesn't instill a lot of confidence that we're actually (still?) living in a civilized society... :)

Please note these quad band radios will only receive AM on select frequencies, they will not transmit on AM.

Neither one of those radios receive or broadcast in the 11M band where CB is. The FT8900 will not receive or broadcast in AM, I know, I own one and the 10M and 6M bands are just about worthless because they are FM only. I'm pretty sure the FCC does not allow radios to be sold that work in both amateur and CB services.

I have one radio that works in on most radio service frequencies but it is a hand held and has to be modified in software to work outside of the amateur band. The VX-7R covers 2M, 70cm, 6M, 222 MHZ, and with mods CAP, MARS and CB. IIRC it can also be programmed to work with FSR and GMSR. It basically receives anything from DC to Daylight. The legality of the software mods is questionable, but if all you want to do is monitor there should be no problem. The HT is also relatively low power so chances of interference is low.

I didn't know about the mod at the time Steve Fossett crashed but I bet CAP was burning up for a few weeks there. It would have been interesting to monitor.

What do you have to say about this 2m repeater compared to the CB talk you mentioned already?

I assume you are directing this at me. One can always find an exception if they look. The reason the 435 is famous is because it is unique. In most areas the owners would be fined and their equipment confiscated.

If you really like CB that much have at it, I am not trying to convince you to do otherwise.

Neither one of those radios receive or broadcast in the 11M band where CB is.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_636/erc8oiu0imgjefu84hkx.jpg

Under this class assignment, a CB radio is classified as a "Personal Radio Service device". The frequency band is HF,26.9650 MHz to 27.4050 MHz (40 channels), power output is 4 watts for AM and FM and 12 watts PEP for SSB. Channel 9 is reserved for emergencies, and channel 11 is a calling channel.

not sure what you mean by 11m band...

not sure what you mean by 11m band...

Lol. That's because you don't understand basic radio. The wave length (actual length) of CB frequency, is approximately 11 meters. If your real interest is search and rescue, good for you. You would be well served to study for and take the Ham general exam. You'd get a great dose of antenna theory, and have a much better appreciation of the benefits and the limitations of Ham radio. CB is a lost cause.

if. lovely.

so the OP asked why not HAM over CB. The sole reason to not HAM is people like who just responded. My lord, they make Gollum look pretty damn sane. Discussion turns into confrontation - why, exactly? dunno... who cares what meter CB broadcasts on? I've actually broadcast from my HAM radio to my CB; but according to the internet jockeys it doesn't work. They are utterly worse part of HAM, what's funny is these people are probably the nicest people you meet in person; but their writing skills are inverse to their knowledge skills. I had to learn HAM. I couldn't care less about HAM but it works for what I need it to do and is useful. The absolute last thing I'll do is get stuck in a test rather then go out wheeling or (allegedly) saving someone's life....

But you win. it doesn't work o_O I have a technician license, I have a half-dozen radios that I use nearly daily.

Back to the CB on the TYT - the hardest part was programming it because to find the frequency step was something no one seemed to have ever asked Google.

Last edited:
I am surprised you are such a radio wiz but had no idea what I was talking about when I referenced 11M. The test for tech is pretty basic, which is why people shouldn't be reluctant to take the test, but I believe it covered the relation between wave length and frequency.
I am also surprised that you can get the TYT to broadcast or receive in the CB band, according to the FCC report it does neither.

Anyone can get in a car and drive, not everyone understands how a car works. Understanding how radios actually do what they do improves your ability to trouble shoot problems when they arise, and get the best performance out of your equipment.

I hunt and wheel alone most of the time. I have an "old" CB, and a 500 watt linear. As many have mentioned, it is the antenna and SWR readings which really make the difference.

When I am up in the White Mountains of AZ, yeah, I can reach West Texas, but the majority of the traffic I hear is the Native Americans from the local tribes, who use CB extensively.

I am considering going the ham route, and from what I have heard, there is a fairly strong ham community here in Tucson.

I have never had a really well tuned high dollar CB setup. However, the setup I did have ran a 40+ inch antenna off of NMO dead center on my roof, very low SWR. The $30 Baofeng that I bought last year is far clearer on transmit and receive. I can't tell you if there is a reach difference. I know on the way back from CO last week my wife was able to transmit to me from 5 miles down the highway and that was about the limit.

My current mobile setup is a Kenwood 281 with a 1/4 wave where the old CB whip went. I like that its only a short little 18 inch whip sticking up. If I had to do it over I would run the coax back to the rear hatch and run a 1/2 wave so it would be protected a little better.

I am by no means an expert on HAM. In fact the whole reason I went with the 281 is because it doesn't offer as many bells and whistles as the others. You have to learn the basics before you can step up to the big leagues. I do understand radio theory as far as wave lengths, ground planes, etc. However, step - +, trunking, use of repeaters, its all foreign to me. Which is what I am hoping to remedy before the next big outing. Probably just need to start attending the monthly club meetings at the library and make some new friends.

@half k cruiser By far the easiest way to learn the use of a ham radio is to find an Elmer to mentor you. Ham clubs are the best way to meet local ham's.
IMHO starting with a simple single band radio is a great approach.

don't follow the people knocking Ham radio... There is no comparison between CB and Ham with regard to range and quality of the audio. Keep your CB...no one said you had to give it away, but don't argue the point that HAM somehow sucks when compared to CB. There are plenty of references on the web for good information related to HAM. Like anything there are idiots in every bunch... the people using HAM improperly...and those that abuse CB and use improper language and equipment. So you don't want to use HAM....so what!....have a nice day, but the truth is that HAM is superior in every way to CB. If you don't like the rules...stay off HAM its that simple. I think some people would argue that the grass is green.

The only real gripe i have is that HAM can really get complex for those who use the other frequencies and various high end radios. The best choice in my view for a HAM for offroad is simple 2m setup, like many things you can spend what you want to...but for the average person I suspect the simplicity of the low end 2m radios far out-weights the high end features and options of the more expensive stuff.

Get a decent CB and get a decent 2m Ham radio....(good)

don't follow the people knocking Ham radio... There is no comparison between CB and Ham with regard to range and quality of the audio. Keep your CB...no one said you had to give it away, but don't argue the point that HAM somehow sucks when compared to CB. There are plenty of references on the web for good information related to HAM. Like anything there are idiots in every bunch... the people using HAM improperly...and those that abuse CB and use improper language and equipment. So you don't want to use HAM....so what!....have a nice day, but the truth is that HAM is superior in every way to CB. If you don't like the rules...stay off HAM its that simple. I think some people would argue that the grass is green.

The only real gripe i have is that HAM can really get complex for those who use the other frequencies and various high end radios. The best choice in my view for a HAM for offroad is simple 2m setup, like many things you can spend what you want to...but for the average person I suspect the simplicity of the low end 2m radios far out-weights the high end features and options of the more expensive stuff.

Get a decent CB and get a decent 2m Ham radio....(good)
I agree except that I would urge people to start with a single band radio then move on to a unit that covers 2M and 70cm. There are many repeater systems that use 440MHz, Rubicon for one, IIRC Moab also has a 440MHZ system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom