should I skip cb and just go to HAM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just put another CB in my truck, to replace the ~12 years old Radio Shack radio that was in the process of a slow death.

Yes, 50w on my 2m radio is sometimes fun, but for trail chatter with the next truck that's 200 yards away, the CB works very well.
Uniden 520 ($40 on Amazon), firestick antenna on the fender, and an SWR meter to tune the antenna.

Sometimes I can't help thinking that this CB vs. HAM deal is really too much bother.
It probably depends a lot on what you do where you go and who you are with. On longer trips across Nevada we often get spread out over 20 or more miles, with CB you are relaying messages from the lead rig to the tail gun. Even on the Rubicon we can get spread out beyond CB range, or at least usable CB range.
Cost isn't much of an issue now that you can pick up a decent Chinese HT for $50 on E-bay.

Compared to what $$$$ I've sunk in the truck over the years, particularly over the last two years (it was all must-haves, I swear...:) ), the cost of a radio isn't really anything to worry about any longer.

We typically stick together on trails so that spotting can be provided at a call's notice. And I very much doubt my wife will bother do become a licensed HAM radio operator... :)

Personally, when I did my license, I thought it was an interesting topic, but that interest has faded; I really don't need another hobby. And based on experiences in my profession, I really dislike the extensive use of abbreviations, in written text and spoken word - something the HAM folks apparently delight in...:rolleyes:

Get both.
As many others have stated already, what's the point in having a 2m radio when you are the only one using it and all the others have CB?
I would start (as I did already) with a hand held HAM radio and as your needs will grow get a bigger more powerful radio (semi)permanently mounted inside the car.
The hand held one would still be relevant as you get out of the car or just have someone spot you using it.
Even at 4W they are still really good in terms of transmission distance is concerned. With an external antenna the are even better. I was able to hit a repeater 39 miles away with my Baofeng 4W with it's originally equipped little rubber antenna, from inside my bedroom behind the window.
I got a lot of good things to say about it.

Tried that, didn't really work out lol
Just talk one guy into it. Then tell everybody you are trash talking them on 2M. Before you know it everybody will have a ham license. ;)

Every person I've gotten to get their ticket has enjoyed using 2m FM on the trail. The fidelity compared to AM is night and day. CB all day on the trail get exhausting to listen to.

I find it amusing how people resist getting a ham ticket. For some it's scary to take the test or not knowing were to go to take the test. My ham ticket was the best thing I ever did it helped me get started in my career 18 years ago. Hiring manager was a ham and this helped me get a leg up on the other candidates.

For trail use nothing more than the tech license is needed and the test is very simple. If you can fill out a tax return you can pass the test with a few hours of study. Multiple study guide resources are available on line.
practice test:LINK------>>>>>> Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ.COM

Most, if not all of the GCLC guys were resistant to changing over to ham radio, myself included. CB is the defacto standard here in the northeast, but after you use any ham radio for the first time, the advantage is clear. A $150 CB radio is like Dixie cups and string compared to a $29 ham.
We now have a majority of club members on ham and getting more every year. CB is virtually useless.

Because the FCC insists on having us use AM on our CB's here instead of the EU standard on FM, which is superior.

I have hated CB since I started into this while thing back in 2000. I have been a champion for HAM for mobile use, wishing that CB would die the horrific, firey death that it deserves.

However, I know more people with CB than HAM, and CB is a requirement for TLCA events (and part of why I don't attend TLCA events any more).

I was on a trip this weekend with a friend who has a CB. Hers was fine, but mine was transmitting trash. I think due to the fact that it was mounted in the Land Cruiser for a long while and it got wet due to rain.

I'm currently (and VERY begrudgingly) CB shopping. I wish I could get a mobile HAM setup that also does CB frequencies. But I guess I have to have separate radios for that...

Because the FCC insists on having us use AM on our CB's here instead of the EU standard on FM, which is superior.
Do you really want unlicensed operators on FM? Hang out by a truck stop or the interstate and monitor your CB for a few hours then get back to me.

I have hated CB since I started into this while thing back in 2000. I have been a champion for HAM for mobile use, wishing that CB would die the horrific, firey death that it deserves.

However, I know more people with CB than HAM, and CB is a requirement for TLCA events (and part of why I don't attend TLCA events any more).

I was on a trip this weekend with a friend who has a CB. Hers was fine, but mine was transmitting trash. I think due to the fact that it was mounted in the Land Cruiser for a long while and it got wet due to rain.

I'm currently (and VERY begrudgingly) CB shopping. I wish I could get a mobile HAM setup that also does CB frequencies. But I guess I have to have separate radios for that...
It is more likely in the antenna connection than the CB. Check for bad grounds etc before you replace the CB. If you need to this unit works very well and won't cost you much.
Uniden - 40-Channel CB Radio - Black

Why not? What's wrong with having 11m on FM instead of AM?
Just go monitor CB by a truck stop for a while and tell me you want CB to have more range. Vulgar would be a kind description of what you hear. The words lunatic and fringe also come to mind.

It is more likely in the antenna connection than the CB. Check for bad grounds etc before you replace the CB. If you need to this unit works very well and won't cost you much.
Uniden - 40-Channel CB Radio - Black

I did have the CB connected to a power source that is electrically separate from the rest of the truck (and the surface the antenna was mounted to). That might be it.

Also, the CB I am using is the Cobra version of that uniden: https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-19DXIV...=UTF8&qid=1474515597&sr=8-3&keywords=cobra+cb

I don't spend my time listening on what others are chatting about at a truck stop. I really have a lot more important things to do in my life.
I really couldn't care less. Have you tried changing the channel?

Same thing as with HBO. If you don't like the language, just change the channel.

I did have the CB connected to a power source that is electrically separate from the rest of the truck (and the surface the antenna was mounted to). That might be it.

Also, the CB I am using is the Cobra version of that uniden: https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-19DXIV...=UTF8&qid=1474515597&sr=8-3&keywords=cobra+cb
The antenna and power supply need a common ground. 95% of the problems I have helped fix with radios were related to antenna and/or radio grounding. Disconnect the antenna lead at both ends and inspect for rust/corrosion on the center contact and the shell threads. also check the antenna mount ground for corrosion.

Radio Shack use to have those radios on sale a couple of times a year for less than $20 badged as Midland. who makes them is anybody's guess. They work great for trail comm where you don't need many features.

I don't spend my time listening on what others are chatting about at a truck stop. I really have a lot more important things to do in my life.
I really couldn't care less. Have you tried changing the channel?

Same thing as with HBO. If you don't like the language, just change the channel.
Just making my case for not improving CB. don't get yer jockies in a knot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom