Shackle Reversal w/ anti inversion shackle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In 1999 we did a 4" lift (Man-a-fre Safari) and shackle reversal at the time we used the anti-inversion shackles that came with the lift kit and it's been that way ever since. This weekend I was rotating tires and added a set of wheel spacers. I was looking at the way the shackle sits and it just doesn't look right to me. I searched and noticed the newer kits come with dog bone shackles and couldn't find any set up like mine. Would there be any benefit to changing shackles? or am I just over thinking things and have a case of tetanus from my rusty 40.

Last edited:
Looks like your hanger is wedged and stuck in between your shackle...Your leaf spring has lost some arch since 1999 and therefore longer now
causing that shackle angle.

Looks like your hanger is wedged and stuck in between your shackle...Your leaf spring has lost some arch since 1999 and therefore longer now
causing that shackle angle.

That makes perfect sense to me, I'll jack it up tomorrow and see if the shackle falls away from the hanger.

Jacked it up and the shackles fall away from the hangers freely. The spring eyes and frame have a small wear mark (dime sized shiny spot).

Do you remember which direction your instructions said to put the front spring towers on the truck? When I had mine installed in 1997 (since removed) my instructions had the front towers mounted the opposite direction (with the vertical face to the front) which led to the often derided "rock finders" reputation of the reversal kits. The shackle mounts bolted to the frame in the stock location on the frame if I remember correctly. The kit was also designed to use stock length shackles at the rear to maintain proper caster angle- may be this changed later as mine had a smaller shackle hanger at the rear than your truck has.

I know that sometime later they changed the instructions to mount them the way you have them. I think that they also had you swap the leaf spring direction to relocate the axle due to the setback of the "ramped" front hanger and the rear frame mount was moved to the rear as well since the front mount was shifted back. Your shackle mount may need to be moved back on the frame... Might want to measure the distance between the two mounts and compare it to stock.
HTH,
Will

I think somebody put that shackle reversal kit on incorrectly . Looks like the shackle hanger sleeve was put on too close to the front hanger . Like tlc762 says you should measure what it is at and compare it to a stock setup .

I'm pretty sure the kit was from advance adaptors it has the ramped side facing forward, I grabbed a measurement of 39.5" from hanger eye to eye. Thanks for the input from tlc762 and too tall, I'm leaning towards the rear hanger is to far forward.

That sounds about right . I would put it at 42.5 . I have redone a few front spring setups and 42.5 center of top shackle pin to center of hanger pin is the measurement I use for shackle reversals.

That sounds about right . I would put it at 42.5 . I have redone a few front spring setups and 42.5 center of top shackle pin to center of hanger pin is the measurement I use for shackle reversals.

Thanks, That will be the plan then. Appreciate everyone's help I will post up how it goes.

It might be easier to have spring shop shorten the springs (if you've got a spring shop nearby).

Hangers moved back to 42.5, hopefully my springs will flatten out and the shackles will relax a little.

The ride and drive are definitely improved, the front-end is much more forgiving on bumps and washboards. It brought the front up less than I thought. I need to drive it some more and see how it goes but at this point I'm really pleased with it.

Last edited:
Flip the shackle the other way up and the inversion pin won't touch the frame when you droop that side . Looks better . I personally like the shackle a little more vertical with a flat spring . I find I get better movement . If the height is too much for you you could always sleeve the frame . If it doesn't screw with your caster too much .

Flip the shackle the other way up and the inversion pin won't touch the frame when you droop that side . Looks better . I personally like the shackle a little more vertical with a flat spring . I find I get better movement . If the height is too much for you you could always sleeve the frame . If it doesn't screw with your caster too much .

Flipping the shackle will negate the function of an anti-inversion shackle. If you look closer at the picture you will see that he has already moved the pin further down on the shackle to allow more movement.

I didn't notice the modified hole . I usually just flip them upside down . They still work just fine in the factory hole position upside down . They will not invert if they are installed upside down .

We did move the pin, didn't think about flipping the shackles. Overall the ride and drive is so much better, not sure how/why I put up with the ride previously.

Reactions: SMG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom