Shackle bolt stuck— need advice — cool pictures of rig included to encourage help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow cruiser heads,

I need advice on a little problem I have ran into whilst installing a OME/Dakar 2” kit. I got the front all bolted on and it was a breeze, just time consuming.

On the back I hit a snag with a shackle bolt getting stuck and need some advice for people that have overcome this challenge already. For background info, my truck has very little surface rust under it, every shackle bolt came out by sledging it hard as crap. This one however is stuck. I beat it until it mushroomed, heated it with a heat gun, pried on it, etc. I believe I need to cut it out or torch it somehow but I have no idea how specifically approach this. I do have an air chisel, grinder and a torch available.

Thanks for everything this community provides, picture of the progress so far, putting airbags in the rear that I will post when I finish the job!

IMG_2911.jpeg

IMG_2910.jpeg

You may be at the point of cutting the bolt. Cut it right at the inside ears of the mount(on the edges of the bushing) and just replace the bolt. Will be much faster than messing with it!
That seems pretty simple. Pretty funny how I just kept banging on it and stressed out.

Thanks!

1mm cutting wheel on angle grinder every time for me.

Sawzall both sides of the bolt between the hanger and the shackle. You’re gonna get some rubber hot so there will be some smoke. Then use a drill with a 3/16” bit and drill through the bushing (around the pin) a bunch of times, like 15-25. Then whack at it with a chisel or drift or beefy flathead screwdriver. It’ll come.

I melt the rubber bushings with a map torch and then hit it with an air hammer. Normally works, it just smells really really really bad. Maybe get the little one far away from the fumes hahaha

You can also flame the stubborn end until you get flaming drops of molten rubber Bushing, then the bolt pops out.

Melt/burn it out with a torch (propane will do just fine). it is stinky and smokey. But it works every single time. ;)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom