Ford School Me on Excursion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy Ford Fans,

I am thinking about a used Excursion.

Can anyone familiar with these beasts fill me in on the pros and cons of these things?

It looks like engine choices are the V8 & V10 gassers and the 7.3 & 6.0 diesels?

There are 4WD and 2WD models, correct?

I welcome any and all perspectives!

What would reasonable price ranges be for 4WD?

TIA,

If i were you i would go with the 7.3 diesel. And depending in the 4x4 or the 2x4 it would depend on were u live and if u do more freeway driving then. The 2 wheel drive would do a little bit better on fuel then the 4x4. Ive owend 2 and the only problem i had with them is the window switch.

Not to one up the previous post, but I am on my third Excursion.

The 7.3 is the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would take a V10 before a 6.0 diesel (have blown to sets of head gaskets on two different superdutys.

I had a 7.3 with 30,000 and paid $32,000 about 6 years ago

Had one with 160,000 and paid 16,500 about 3 years ago

Now I have one with 155,000 miles and paid $11,500 for it
(this was a steal, I bought it from a retired Navy Seal, Virginia truck its whole life, no rust anywhere)

All of my Excursions have been 7.3L diesels and 4x4 limiteds

If you plan on doing any diesel mods try to buy and 2000-2001 they have a lot stronger connecting rods.

If its going to be a stock truck don't worry about it

Maybe the excursions are different, but in the trucks, they stopped using forged rods in the 7.3 after '99...

From 'Diesel Power Mag' Powdered-metal rods were phased into the 7.3L's assembling process starting with engine serial number 1425747. But in order to deplete its inventory, Ford reverted back to the forged-steel units starting with engine serial number 1440713 and running through number 1498318. Engine serial number 1498319 until final production utilized powdered-metal rods

So you need to check the engine number on the driver side of the valve cover.

Don't let this scare you though the powdered rods are good till 400 rwhp, and that is not an easy accomplishment in a 7.3. The forged rods are just better for big H.P. that takes some money in a 7.3.

These are different beast then the Duramax and Cummins , you can get that kind of power out of a programmer in these vehicles.

I agree with the above. I did lots of research. Bought mine from a mudder 1.5 years ago. I specifically wanted the 7.3. We love it. It's my wife's DD and is her favorite rig ever, even more than out 80. Down here, they command a high dollars, so I went to Colorado to get mine, saved about 2 grand after travel and got a trip to Denver. ;) Let me know if you have any specific questions.

arcteryx said:
I agree with the above. I did lots of research. Bought mine from a mudder 1.5 years ago. I specifically wanted the 7.3. We love it. It's my wife's DD and is her favorite rig ever, even more than out 80. Down here, they command a high dollars, so I went to Colorado to get mine, saved about 2 grand after travel and got a trip to Denver. ;) Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thank you! We are still trying to figure our finance plan - do we fix her car? Or move on?

My dad had one with the V-10 and really liked it. It did have the odd quirk of burning not quite a quart every 6000 miles from the time he bought it until he got rid of it (he put about 40k on it). The diesel fuel economy will be quite a bit better. He was getting about 14-15 hwy.

KaiserM715 said:
My dad had one with the V-10 and really liked it. It did have the odd quirk of burning not quite a quart every 6000 miles from the time he bought it until he got rid of it (he put about 40k on it). The diesel fuel economy will be quite a bit better. He was getting about 14-15 hwy.

Thanks!

From what I have read/researched, majority of owners of both 7.3 and 6.0 say to buy a 7.3. MOst of the later 6.0 models are decent, but still no where near the 7.3 reliability. If you do go with the 6.0, you will need to do head studs and EGR delete, which is a few grand, like 4-5K. Here in Texas, the newer models go for a few grand less than 7.3s.

Personally, there are some aesthetic items I wish the earlier models had, but reliability took priority. Find a 7.3. 200K is nothing for these things. I have 212K on mine now and have put on 50K. Needs GP or GP relay and an alternator. Oh and brakes, but those could actually fall in the maintenance category.

We've had no mechanical issues with our 7.3L 2000. I installed a K&N cold air intake and chipped it with a Hypertech ECON. We have a ton more speed off the line and much better mileage.

On another note, I had to replace two door lock actuators in the rear doors. Neither was very difficult. I also just replaced the PS front window motor. Very easy to do. I also lubed all of the window tracks with silicon spray and all function much better now. :cool:

I too had to replace the rear actuator, easy to do.

Recently, I had to install new brakes/rotors/calipers on the front and ended up finding out the wheel bearing was shot. So I replaced the entire hub on the PS, and once I cracked it open, found out the outer axle needed to be replaced too since the needle bearings thrashed it. And while I was this far into it, I replaced the ball joints which last about 100K, and I havent done them in the 60K I have owned it. I need to do the DS too I guess, now that I have done it, it should be easier. Oh, and the locking hubs (ESOF) were a pain to remove, they were so dry inside and I couldn't turn it without using a hammer/screwdriver. I ordered some WARNS and they are going on over the holidays. Seems like the ESOF is a common prob and the WARNS remedy this. This was by far the most work done to it.

See the Excursion forum on DieselStop. Seach for posts by me and you will get quite a bit. Then look in the 99 & up 7.3 engine and drivetrain forum and the 99& up 7.3 modifications and upgrades forum. Mine is quite fast without expensive mods. I pull a 8000lb JC Tritoon 300hp mercruiser with triple axle trailer to Lake Superior often and go 80mph for hours on end.

I have owned two. A 2001 with the V10 and currently have a 2004 with the 6.0l both 4x4's. Get a 7.3 or a V10, both are very reliable and have more power than you will need. The 6.0 is a great engine when it doesn't break down on you. The only issues I have had are brakes wearing out and lock actuators like everyone else. And the overhead instrument cluster recently went out but thats a common Super Duty issue and a $40 fix so no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom