Rust on OME? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I already posted on dealing with rust on frame but the leaf springs on the OME are rusty and ugly…I’d like to restore to something that resembles nice without removing. Any advice is appreciated!

IMG_2437.jpeg

IMG_2434.jpeg

IMG_2431.jpeg

I’d like to restore to something that resembles nice without removing. Any advice is appreciated!

Well you have rust and grease but you don't want to remove them. You can only get rid of the rust mechanically or chemically (or preferably a combination of the two). Fluid Film might slow it down but it certainly won't get rid of it. Once you are rid of the rust then you need a protective coating (aka paint). It's difficult to paint over grease. Well actually I guess it isn't but it's not going to help the metal.

If you are dead set on not removing them and dead set on doing something then:

a) Remove all the grease that you can with rags, brake cleaner, etc.
b) Wire brush or otherwise remove all the loose rust (or all the rust you can for that matter but it doesn't have to be perfect)
c) Chemically convert the rust. I prefer Corroseal as it converts the rust to magnetite. Others prefer Phosphoric Acid converters which convert the rust to iron phosphate.
d) Use a brush or rattle can and prime with a rust preventative primer and then top coat with something like semi-gloss black. I wouldn't bother with anything like POR15 in your situation as I don't think you can prep them well enough unless you remove them.

the problem with leaf springs is that the leafs slide on each other and over time wear any protective coating off them. they’ll look nice for a little while but will end up rusting again. if it’s a vehicle you drive any amount just learn to live with it. if it’s a show vehicle then by all means get it clean but i bet it’s a battle you’ll soon get tired of. i’m not trying to be a downer or shoot your idea down. i know id tire of chasing that though

ps the underside of your rig is way too clean already dang!!!

Last edited:
the problem with leaf springs is that the leafs slide on each other and over time wear any protective coating off them. they’ll look nice for a little while but will end up rusting again. if it’s a vehicle you drive any amount just learn to live with it. if it’s a show vehicle then by all means get it clean but i bet it’s a battle you’ll soon get tired of. i’m not trying to be a downer or shot your idea down. i know if tire of chasing that though

ps the underside of your rig is way too clean already dang!!!
Awe shucks…thanks…mostly sits in garage

Get yourself a tub of black moly grease and a brush. It'll look shiny black and not rusty, problems solved (until you hit a dirt road). I mean the only places on my truck that aren't rusty are adjacent to where it developed oil leaks. Lol

Jokes aside, do like others have said and remove all the grease and rust you can, then coat it in some flavor of rust converter, prime, and paint semi gloss purple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom