RTH: pressure in fuel system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rhodescreations.com
99 lx470. Came across i40 this morning from OK into NM. Stopped at lotaburger for a breakfast burrito. Noticed a drip from the driver's front frame rail... Gas. Can hear a slight hiss/bubbling noise from the evap system. Opened gas cap and there was a noticable "whoosh." Could this be as simple as a bad gas cap?

En route to Valley of Fire by sometime tomorrow, then north to WA.

1000002608.jpg

Stopped again for gas after ~100 miles with new hat cap. Tank still released a lot of pressure when I unscrewed the new cap. Leak from EVAP does seem to have stopped though

If your picture is showing wet/stain area on frame and you smell heavy gasoline fumes. You may have a leak at fuel filters line to fuel rail. You need to open the hood. See where leak come from!

Rodents nest where? Rodent's like to chew wires. They may also chew a hole in a fuel line.

Last edited:
Fuel was coming into the frame rail from the EVAP overflow. I replaced the fuel cap and that helped a bit... But there's still a lot of pressure behind that cap when you stop for fuel. No more dripping fuel though. Going to dig into when I'm back in Washington.

The nest was on top of the engine block. Not related as far as I can tell. I bought one of those "grabber" tools and used it to remove the grass a bit at a time. Wasn't causing an issue, just didn't seem particularly safe to have heat/fuel/tinder all together in that general area...

Only 450 miles to go tomorrow, 4,000 down this week. Truck is really running great. Just a couple issues to did into when we are home.

Could be bad evap cannister, I've been dealing with the same issue since last summer's trip to Moab/Colorado. Started happening as we hit altitude and then continued through the trip. A new gas cap didn't solve the issue for me either. Did another long trip to Big Bend NP last month and ran into the same issue. New evap cannister is $700 (ugh!) so I've been postponing it, and I don't experience the issue when driving on the highway, it's only when offroad and at altitude (I live only a few hundred feet over sea level).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom