ROTW: Paulwolfs Warthog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is the best and the worst time. You heard it run and you can't wait to drive it so all you do is start it every time you walk out to the garage until you finish all the little details. :D

Still a few weeks (or months) away, I am a shocker once I hear something, so I am finishing all the little jobs, tranny fiddly bits, exhaust, drive shafts and wotnot so I can at least drive it around in the yard. Thats why i am working on finishing the chassis welding, then onto my auto, then drive shafts, then fuel tank and lines, then rest of motor

Paul

ps, Randy, what you think of paint, and stance with wheels and tray on?

Love the paint! That yellow will really stand out and the stance is dead on. You should get some good departure and approach angles with the shorter body. Can't wait to see some pic's of that suspension flexed to the max and a v-8 rooster tail off the back! :D So you didn't give it a name?! Looks like Big Bird on Steroids to me. ;p

P.S Tell your son he made a good choice on the paint!

Mutley, I agree with ya, panel damage ia a PITA. I have been working on a white 60 wagon as well as my yellow ute. Every time it goes out it has more damage to fix. He is too scared to let me chop his too, but it will come to the point where it will have to happen

I did mine to prove something to myself, and to everyone that told me its too hard. Once, I have mine engineered it will let evryone know how best to go about it

Randy, it is now called BFO Warthog, dunno why, one of my mates started calling it that and it seems to have stuck........big bird is apt too coz its a big tall old girl, I will probaby put some big bird stickers on it

ps BFO is for Big Funk off coz it is so tall

paul

When you get this beast rolling make sure you get some good shots of it in action. Sure am curious to see how well that V-8 is going to launch that light chassis. :D :steer:

been doing a bit more work to the Warthog this weekend, pulled the pan off the Turbo 400 and replaced the pan gasket to try to stop it leaking and built myself an exhaust.............
21062008001.jpg

21062008004.jpg

21062008.jpg

twin 3 inch into 3 1/2 inch single through the small muffler and out near the rear wheel, should be plenty loud and V8 growl.

photos taken with my phone so they are not perfect quality but hey...............you get that

Paul

Cheers on your build mate! I've been lurking on your build thread since you started. Your audacious cutting of the body gave me inspiration: My wife has given me permission to cut one of ours in a similar fashion!! :beer:

Also, thanks for stepping up as a ROTW writer. I am moved by the pleasure and joy you had as a kid when your father was bouncing around out in the bush. Your son will be the receipient of what wes born by your pops, so cheers to you and your family!

Rick

I hope the lad is out in the yard with you "helping"!

So after 9 months I bet you are all wondering what has happened to with the warthog. Well truth be told I have been slack with the posting

There was a big 4wd event planned by our club for the 20th september 2008, and the warthog was gonna be there, so true to my post, I got all the liitle jobs done, fired the V8, which started rather painlessly for something that came form about 10 different cars across 4 different models.

I then pulled it into first gear and proceeded to drive it around in the yard, however reverse gear wa nowhere to be found, nothing ,nada, another neutral. So after a bit of pondering I drove it out to the street, onto a truck and off to my mates shop.

I dropped the pan and valvebody and noticed the reverse band had come adrift and became apparent that the transmission was going to have to come apart to put it back in place.

It also became apparent that this is what happens when a transmission falls off your workbench tail first onto the concrete, with no external damage

So the work I had just completed was all undone and the tranny removed and shipped off to a tranny guy. He dutifully repaired it and another problem I was not aware of over the next 5 weeks, (I was not in a hurry), and in December I had all of the bits of my truck back home again.

With the christmas break and 2 kids to parent, I did not get back to the cruiser till mid january and got the tranny back up onto the motor, and decided to go right through the transfer case so problems like above were eliminated. Transfer was completely disassembled (it was already off the tranny) cleaned and checked over and given a clean bill of health except for the bearing in the adaptor, (i use a marks adaptor), which had 0.010 end float, so more shims had to be added.

This brings us up to yesterday when I re assembled the transfer onto the transmission.

I will update my pics soon too

Paul

Ps for anyone following this thread in june 08, last week I purchased an Eaton M112, and some bits for an intercooler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom