Rollcage as compressor tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.highoctane.nl
It could be a space saving solution to weld the (family)rollbar airtight and connect it to the compressor. There is a pretty large volume available obviously.
Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks!

Also, it ends up being a very small volume (all things considered) with multiple possibilities for leaks. Pretty much a PITA.

But, there is no reason it would not work.

Bumpers have greater volume and less issues as air tanks.

Huge pain in the ass to connect the cage at every joint. You have to drill hoses to let the air through. Even then you're not going to have squat for volume. And you will have leaks.
When I mounted the York, I bought a little 2.5g air compressor with a bad motor on in. Took the compressor off and had a tank with a pressure switch, blow off valve, gauge, drain cock and air line fittings for $20.

Hendrix motorsports offers their buggy chassis' drilled for air tank use age. It can work, but as the others have said, volume is minimal.A bumper/ tank is more pheasable, and easier in the long run.

It could be a space saving solution to weld the (family)rollbar airtight and connect it to the compressor. There is a pretty large volume available obviously.
Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks!
My cage is plumbed as a air tank. Not a lot of volume, but I don't have a lot of room to put a tank somewhere else. As the mods increase, it seems space decreases. I use a FJ60 ac compressor, if I turn up the idle to 2k, it's like having shop air. It wasn't hard at all to setup. I have a moisture separator on the in line. My cage isn't very complex, it I added to it, air volume would increase a lot.

Huge pain in the ass to connect the cage at every joint. You have to drill hoses to let the air through. Even then you're not going to have squat for volume. And you will have leaks.
When I mounted the York, I bought a little 2.5g air compressor with a bad motor on in. Took the compressor off and had a tank with a pressure switch, blow off valve, gauge, drain cock and air line fittings for $20.
You just drill a 1/4" hole in each tube junction, it's not really time consuming. About 5 extra minutes before you tack another tube in place. If a skilled welder does it, leaks aren't a issue really. Most air tanks have welds.

Thanks for your replies. Good input there! I didnt thought about the moisture trap yet. That could ove rtime become an issue with rot from inside if it would be really wet constantly.
I'll see where it ends up. eiter external tank or in rollcage.
Cheers

Lol. Ok.

You get .09g for every 1' of cage. So plumbing 25' of cage is less than finding space for a 2.5g air tank.
I think I have enough reserve to remove one wheel with the impact, its been a little while since I paid attention. I only keep 100 psi in it though. I should probably turn it up to give the air tools a little more power. I really don't have room anywhere on my rig for a regular tank. Space is pretty limited on a 40 that is used to carry 4 people. If it was just me, I guess I could put a big tank on the rear floor. I use a ac compressor for compressed air, so even with a small tank, as long as the truck runs, I have plenty of air.

I'll bet there is enough room under the rear floor for an acceptable sized tank. I made one and mounted it on the drivers side fender under the hood. Look around a little there's all kinds of room you just haven't thought about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom