Rivnut and Nutsert tools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to buy a rivnut or nutsert tool. I have used one type before when I built aircraft but there are many types/brands out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best type/brand? I will mostly be using it for FJ40 tub inserts.

I've had very good service from my nutsert tool. :)

I bought mine a couple years ago at Harbor Freight, no problem with it as yet.

Jerry D.

While I really like the pneumatic one from aircraft spruce, my current budget allots for the $40 one from Amazon.

i picked up a astro pneumatic kit. i was under 80 bucks i though and has metric and sae dies. the HF one broke on me after a little bit and wont handle larger inserts.

I have the tools for aircraft and they work fairly well for vehicles but for larger diameter fasteners or thicker base material I too need another tool. The McMaster Carr nut inserts up to 1/2" look pretty good.

One can be made or if you do not access to a mill and lathe just use a next size up nut with some some washers on each side. Helps to put some grease on the washers. You can use a couple hand wrenches or a impact, just take it easy.
DSCN2237.JPG

If your only going to use threads up to 6mm or 1/4" a pistol grip handtool is all you need.
Can struggle with 6mm or 1/4" STEEL nutserts, and will not install stainless steel nutserts.

threaded-rivet-nut-insert-setting-tool-rivmut.jpg

If you want to use bigger bolts 4mm - 10mm or 5/32 - 3/8" you will need a long arm nutserter. May not install 10mm or 3/8 Stainless steel nutserts.?

tool1.jpg

You can also get attachments for you battery screwdriver

407-logo1.jpg

The pneumatic ones will do right up to 12mm but unless you buy a quality one with a clutch (expensive) they tend to pull the threads out of the aluminium ones and the smaller diameters.
The nutserts come in a few grip ranges like rivets. e.g upto 2mm grip / 2 - 5mm grip etc

I got mine from Fastenal. Works great and they sell the Nutserts also.

I have a marson 325rn I have been using it for years . Works very well , the biggest I have used is 3/8" but it does that size easily.
325rn(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom