Repair broken intake hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I didn't know about how brittle those intake hoses end up getting and wound up cracking probably 2/3s around one of the flex ribs. I'm going to order one asap tomorrow, but can i limp along with a ducttape special fix for the time being?

Any leaks in this area will cause a very rough idle.

As long as you do a good job with duct tape it should work well for a few days.

I did the same thing to mine over the weekend. I cleaned it up with iso alcohol and a scotch brite pad. Then I used aluminum tape and used a bondo spreader to apply it. No rough idle and no codes after 75 miles. Not to say that it is a permanent fix, just saying that it can work.
J

I used the foil tape used to seal duct work.
Ran it a couple of months like that no problems
X2 must be sealed good

I used duct tape on mine as well. It held for a good month before i replaced the intake with a new one.

Bought mine with a cracked intake hose that had been "repaired" with gorilla tape... had me throwing codes.

Local junk yard let me have a serviceable one for free. That was going to be my temporary fix until I could order a new one, but I've been in the clear for a few thousand miles now.

Duct tape will work, but a quick trip to the pull a part (if accessible) might be a decent solution too.

Any tape that'll hold within temps for the engine bay should be good.

I would use Rescue Tape personally. (not affliated, but I did wrap my PHH with great success until I was able to replace several months later.)

Had a crack in mine, Gorilla taped it 2 years ago, still running fine with no problems, and no codes. Used a whole roll of tape over the whole thing.

Jeremy

Lesson is to remove intake hose and Air filter cover as one unit, you are asking for trouble otherwise.
Never leave this to a grease monkey because they will take the easy route and bend the intake which then causes cracks.

Shoe Goo (for shoe sole repair) is a great, tough repair material for this. You can find it at sporting good stores.

Careful what you use does not break down and get sucked in.

Add something like stainless steel gauze(mesh) to act as a binder.

Anyone know if an intake tube from a different vehicle will work? The ones they have on J**p Libertys look to be about the same diameter.

What type of rough idle did this cause? I have a slight rumble in Drive and rpm's drop to about 625. Can figure it out. It just started a couple weeks ago.

I replaced mine as well. Duct tape will hold for a bit do it. If it idles crappy you didn't seal it

I've found that several layers of electrical tape works better that duct tape.:hmm: It stretches a provides a good seal. I've run a repaired intake for several weeks without incident.:cool: Get a new one ordered, you will need it.:steer:

repaired intake

Damn I twisted my intake hoses and it broke in half the outher day.Where can I get a used one ??I live in a small town and do not have a yota dealer here.:crybaby:
I put duct arount it but it still must be leaking It will die at a stop in gear .

Yea use something that wont fall off and get sucked in ...duct tape isnt to good with the heat
A new one is a good pm. There are probably cracks you cant see and its probably as old as the rig

93cruisere: try the coupling shown in the link above from Home Depot, post #15; it looks perfect for a temporary repair job. I used Duct Tape but would have used this coupling if I had known about it.
Fernco plumbing coupling.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom