Recommended Highway / All-Season Tires ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeking recommendations for all season tires.

Been using OE-spec Michelin LTX M/S in OEM size 275/70R16 since I bought the '99 LX470 new, but have always had problems with tire runout / force variation -induced vibration.

Road Force balancing helps, but costly and does not fully resolve the problem.

Today I tried some new Michelin LTX M/S, and they were the worst looking I've seen yet, with excessive runout. After mounting 6, I gave up and had the tire seller put the original tires back on. Now looking for something better.

Not really interested in chunkier mud/trail tires, I rarely go off road and the mud/trail tires are heavier, stiffer, and noisier on the road. (All else being equal probably also more difficult to achieve smooth ride due to likely greater force variation.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA...

I have used LTX M/S and M/S2 with zero problem and vibration in our Sequoia. Usually Michelin produce excellent tires - not saying I dont believe you here. Have you make sure that everything else is in good shape? I would imagine old worn out shocks or bushings may cause vibration. Also I assume the wheel is straight?

Seeking recommendations for all season tires.

Been using OE-spec Michelin LTX M/S in OEM size 275/70R16 since I bought the '99 LX470 new, but have always had problems with tire runout / force variation -induced vibration.

Road Force balancing helps, but costly and does not fully resolve the problem.

Today I tried some new Michelin LTX M/S, and they were the worst looking I've seen yet, with excessive runout. After mounting 6, I gave up and had the tire seller put the original tires back on. Now looking for something better.

Not really interested in chunkier mud/trail tires, I rarely go off road and the mud/trail tires are heavier, stiffer, and noisier on the road. (All else being equal probably also more difficult to achieve smooth ride due to likely greater force variation.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA...
I just mounted a set of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S which replace the older LTX M/S and it was a huge jump up in ride quality from the LTX M/S previously mounted. It is the quietest and most comfortable highway tire I have ever used and I am very happy with the 265/75/16 size which is 1" larger in diameter than the stock 265/70/16. Seems like you have had a bad experience with Michelin though so I get if you are looking for another brand.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S

I have used LTX M/S and M/S2 with zero problem and vibration in our Sequoia. Usually Michelin produce excellent tires - not saying I dont believe you here. Have you make sure that everything else is in good shape? I would imagine old worn out shocks or bushings may cause vibration. Also I assume the wheel is straight?

The runout problem was obvious looking at the tires on the balancer. Wheels not the problem. Tire seller saw it too, offered to put my old tires back on when he saw it.

I've always had this problem with these particular Michelins in this size. This is just worse than previous. I've had good Michelins, and others like this model/size that were not so good, with respect to runout and force variation problems.

Never had an issue with Michelin. Take a look at the Michelin AT2. Not very aggressive and have a very nice appearance.

If you insist on all-season, then the Mich LTX M/S is very good on the white stuff, better than coopers dedicated snow and ice. I also had no issues with the michelins. But you have to use a higher pressure than specified in the owner's manual, for longevity.
Another tire that works well, I've heard, is BFG at ko2 with extra siping for winter grip. The ko2 is quieter than the old version. Remember to have it siped before it even touches the road.
Edit:
BTW, the Mich LTX at2 looks like it would be awful on snow. Maybe with good, deep, dense siping, but then we know that the BFG would work well.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with any Michelin tire for the last twenty years. Check the spelling on the sidewall.:D

Michelin LTX M/S2 are amazingly quiet and show no visible wear over the last 20K miles.

Like one of the post suggested.

Try changing out UCA bushings or new UCA. I've had issues with vibrations and wheel balance did not do it's trick. Changed bushings a couple weeks ago... now it's driving beautifully. Now can go 75 to 85 mph without feeling nervous.

I should note that I have LTX.

I had M/S Michelin on my Astro van. Put 70k miles on them and they had half the tread left. Couldn't believe it. They were unbelievable in the snow, the AWD van was unstoppable here in AZ when we has 4 feet of snow in 3 days. Its strange that we can have different experiences with tires. Maybe its different vehicles just don't work with some tires.

... Maybe its different vehicles just don't work with some tires.

Yes, my old Benz absolutely hated Michelin tires, yet the LTX M/S tires were absolutely awesome on my 100 before I got my 18's.

Last edited:
Its strange that we can have different experiences with tires. Maybe its different vehicles just don't work with some tires.

yes, it is in my experience, e.g Micheline Primacy MXV4 was an excellent tire on another vehicle I drive a lot, but it took a back seat to Pirelli P4+ on the third one..

I find that these land cruisers are very sensitive to tires, issues seem to get amplified. I have new cooper AT3's and not 100% happy with them, I am thinking of getting michelin latitude tour to put on a second set of wheels.

Tried JonD suggestion, the Defenders available from (local major tire chain with three letter name) in one width smaller, 265/70R16 (OEM is 275). The Defenders had significant lateral tread runout, but I gambled on them anyway and the ride turned out OK. (Lateral runout usually causing less vibration problem than radial runout.)

The 100 is definitely more sensitive to runout and section modulus variation that combine to produce force variation and thus vibration at high speed regardless of balance. This LX had a problem with it with the new OEM Michelin LTX M/S tires that came on the new vehicle, and it has had a problem with every set of the OEM spec Michelins I put on it since. I've done a road force balance on every set to reduce the problem (Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix), but it has always been a problem.

Other vehicles are less sensitive. I had a 1996 GMC Sierra pickup that was so numb that it damped extreme tire runout and force variation to an unnoticeable level. But it also rode and drove horribly, worst steering and handling feel of any vehicle I ever owned.

"A tech that has no idea what he is doing"? Maybe. I only mounted and balanced thousands of tires when I was a pup (along with other auto tech work), followed by BSME and automotive engineering in major Japanese OEM manufacturer and a couple suppliers for some years. So, yeah, I still have a lot to learn. (But the topic was the tires, not the OP. :) )

Thanks to JonD, the Defenders seem to be the ticket.

I had a small local tire shop installed and road force balanced my 5 KO2 per advice from this forum. This local store is a small family store and has earned high reviews online, so I thought I would give a try there. So far it runs smooth over the highway up to 80 mph - I have not driven it faster, and most of the time it only driven in town by my wife. I would say regardless what tires to choose (lots of good brands and model to choose), definitely find a store with the equipment and tech that knows how to balance it properly.

Last edited:
Tried JonD suggestion, the Defenders available from (local major tire chain with three letter name) in one width smaller, 265/70R16 (OEM is 275). The Defenders had significant lateral tread runout, but I gambled on them anyway and the ride turned out OK. (Lateral runout usually causing less vibration problem than radial runout.)

The 100 is definitely more sensitive to runout and section modulus variation that combine to produce force variation and thus vibration at high speed regardless of balance. This LX had a problem with it with the new OEM Michelin LTX M/S tires that came on the new vehicle, and it has had a problem with every set of the OEM spec Michelins I put on it since. I've done a road force balance on every set to reduce the problem (Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix), but it has always been a problem.

Other vehicles are less sensitive. I had a 1996 GMC Sierra pickup that was so numb that it damped extreme tire runout and force variation to an unnoticeable level. But it also rode and drove horribly, worst steering and handling feel of any vehicle I ever owned.

"A tech that has no idea what he is doing"? Maybe. I only mounted and balanced thousands of tires when I was a pup (along with other auto tech work), followed by BSME and automotive engineering in major Japanese OEM manufacturer and a couple suppliers for some years. So, yeah, I still have a lot to learn. (But the topic was the tires, not the OP. :) )

Thanks to JonD, the Defenders seem to be the ticket.
Awesome! Glad to know they are working out for you. If you are on pavement most of the time, I don't think there is anything better.

If you insist on all-season, then the Mich LTX M/S is very good on the white stuff, better than coopers dedicated snow and ice. I also had no issues with the michelins. But you have to use a higher pressure than specified in the owner's manual, for longevity.
Another tire that works well, I've heard, is BFG at ko2 with extra siping for winter grip. The ko2 is quieter than the old version. Remember to have it siped before it even touches the road.
Edit:
BTW, the Mich LTX at2 looks like it would be awful on snow. Maybe with good, deep, dense siping, but then we know that the BFG would work well.

Don't sipe the ko2. They have 3d sipes and the mountain snow flake, so they're awesome as is. Switching from the LTX M/S I got about 30% better braking on light snow and much better ice performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom