Re-newbie? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi all,

I'm baaack... I just picked up a new to me '96 after a few years cruiser-less.

I sold my previous '96 a few years ago, tried two Tacomas, two Tundras and have come crawling back. I missed the cruiser, so I just picked up another '96 a couple of weeks ago.

The new one is pretty much the same as the old one when I got it - bone stock, no lockers, stock suspension and tires. It is rack-less, low mileage (103k) and nice and clean. It's the (boring?) green/tan combo, which suits me fine.

Despite the post I made a couple of years ago about staying with the stock replacement OME if I had to do it over again, I am contradicting myself. I just ordered all the bits to do the OME med lift and ARB (winch-less this time) plus the steering stabilizer and caster correction bushings. I got them from a shop that is (relatively) local to me, but like most places they're being drop shipped in, should be here in a week or so.

Overall it is in good shape, but I've been doing normal PM items. Next up is a front axle service.

Like an idiot, when I sold my old one, I sold all the tools I had figuring I'd never have another cruiser...DOH!

Does anyone have a 54mm socket they'd lend, rent or sell me? How about a Slee caster bushing press tool to lend, rent or borrow?

Looking forward to being around here again.

Thanks,
Charlie
Bristol, VT

Welcome back :flipoff2:

Don't forget to post some pics. Green is the best color no matter what anyone else says. :D

Hey - I have a camp in Williamstown and will be up there the week of the 20th - I have a 54mm I could lend. You are probably about an hour away though - but as they say in Vermont "it's just down the road" (I have been sent on three hour drives that were "just down the road" there)

PM if interested.

Welcome back!

Thanks everyone.

I guess I should just buy a 54mm socket to have it. Thanks for the offers!

Still looking for the slee bushing press tool...

Thanks,
Charlie

I guess I should just buy a 54mm socket to have it.

If you have a Sears in your town, they usually stock a 3/4" drive - 2-1/8" socket that works perfectly for the 80-Series hub tool. About $20 or so.

-B-

Beowulf,

Thanks for the heads up on the sears socket. I'll check it out.

Charlie

hes baaaaack!

:flipoff2:

a local machine shop should be able to press those bushings in for reasonable....

any tires in your future?

Hi all,

I'm baaack... I just picked up a new to me '96 after a few years cruiser-less.

I sold my previous '96 a few years ago, tried two Tacomas, two Tundras and have come crawling back. I missed the cruiser, so I just picked up another '96 a couple of weeks ago.

The new one is pretty much the same as the old one when I got it - bone stock, no lockers, stock suspension and tires. It is rack-less, low mileage (103k) and nice and clean. It's the (boring?) green/tan combo, which suits me fine.

Despite the post I made a couple of years ago about staying with the stock replacement OME if I had to do it over again, I am contradicting myself. I just ordered all the bits to do the OME med lift and ARB (winch-less this time) plus the steering stabilizer and caster correction bushings. I got them from a shop that is (relatively) local to me, but like most places they're being drop shipped in, should be here in a week or so.

Overall it is in good shape, but I've been doing normal PM items. Next up is a front axle service.

Like an idiot, when I sold my old one, I sold all the tools I had figuring I'd never have another cruiser...DOH!

Does anyone have a 54mm socket they'd lend, rent or sell me? How about a Slee caster bushing press tool to lend, rent or borrow?

Looking forward to being around here again.

Thanks,
Charlie
Bristol, VT

Welcome back:flipoff2: If you have a Snap On delivery/tool trucks in your neighborhood, get the one that is made by BluePoint (snap on) for just about the same price as the Sears 2 1/8 socket. PM me if you want to rent the Slee bushings press tool.

Murf,

Yeah, last time I had a machine shop press them in. I recall it being a fair bit of money though. They did say it took a big press to do the job though. Maybe a 30 ton? I can't recall exactly.

I'll probably go with the 285 Revos again, if I can still get them. I liked the BFG AT KOs on my trucks, but they are a bit noisy, and the Revo is a nice compromise tire with good street manners.

Charlie

Ting,

Hard to say exactly. I like the solid feel they have and I have always been impressed with how ruggedly they are built. Ever since the time I rebuilt the front axle. They are way over engineered for anything I use it for, but it is comforting to know how well they are designed and built.

Even the tundra doesn't feel quite as substantial as the older cruiser. The one I just sold (06 doublecab limited trd v8) is a great truck, very plush too, but it is too big for daily driving, and the payments were getting old.

Hold on to your cruiser, you may regret it if you let it go. I did.

Charlie

4x4CPOSEADOG,

Thanks. PMed you.

I'm not is quite as much of a rush. The rear coils are on a boat right now so the shipment is delayed until early May.

I still need to send landtank a ten spot for his template too...

I'll check the snap-on truck. I haven't made it to sears and the local Napa place says they can't get the OTC 6612 version. I may just order the socket from a vendor or cdan when I order the parts. This time I'm holding onto it...

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom