Questions about E-lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some questions about elocker, My bj74 didnt come with locker so i want to swap e locker from 1998 4runner rear axle and put on bj74 axle and convert into cable locker.. So what kind things should i aware of ? It will fit? need to change the rods inside the axle ?

4Runner lockers will not fit.

~John

The BJ74 uses 9.5" diffs front and rear - the rear locker from an 80 series will fit, but you will have to use a 24V motor and computer, or convert them to cable actuation.

You need to have a long splined shaft for any cable or e-locker application for these units. These are available in the aftermarket.

~John

The BJ74 uses 9.5" diffs front and rear - the rear locker from an 80 series will fit, but you will have to use a 24V motor and computer, or convert them to cable actuation.

You need to have a long splined shaft for any cable or e-locker application for these units. These are available in the aftermarket.

~John

So, Only series 80 rear diff will fit bj74 or it will fit at front axle too ?
why it ll need long splined shaft ?

Okay, clearly you are new to the Land Cruiser addiction.

Until the 80 series came out, the diffs in HD Land Cruisers were 8.875" and later the ring & pinion were increased slightly in diameter and then considered to be 9.5" in overall diameter.

In 1990, the front axles of the range moved to a high pinion 8" diff - much like the 8" rear diff used in the Hilux (pick up) but in a high pinion format. I believe that this change probably took place to allow for a better front drive shaft angles, the use of a rearward tie rod in some models, and to facilitate the change to front coil springs on some models.

The hole in the axle housing that the diff fits into is then basically divided into 9.5" and 8". The BJ74 series ended with the 1989 model year and thus has 9.5" diffs at both ends.

The 80 series was provided with 9.5" diffs in the rear end. These can be used in front and rear full float applications - as found in your BJ74 - that use the 9.5" diffs.

The locker mechanism on the 9.5" diffs uses a dog clutch that slides along a lengthened section of spline on the axle shaft. When you install lockers into your diffs and use the e-locker or cable locker 9.5" centre section, you need to have the longer splined axle shaft.

Hope this provides enough info for you.

~John

~John

Hi John,

Any ideas on where the long spline axles for a BJ 74 can be gotten from ?

E-lockers can also be converted to air with the addition of an air operated ram instead fof the solenoid.

John covered it well...
you need 24V so get them from a post 90 7* series instead of the 80 series. Dave at Japan 4X4 can help you out here. he also can source the proper axles shafts you need.

search crushers hzj40 build thread for the low buck e locker controller using a rocker switch..... I'd consider putting the 12v US lockers in and wiring them on a separate 12 v circuit with your stereo

Photos for you to explain...

This is from an HZJ73 ( and now in an HZJ77:D )

~John
IMGP7327.jpg
IMGP7325.jpg
IMGP7330.jpg

And the rear axle shafts. The front high pinion diff does NOT use a longer splined axle shaft, but the cable lockers and full-sized rear electrics do.

~John
IMGP7321.jpg

I did that on my FJ40. I got 2 rear third members off'n an 80 series. All that I had to do was notch the axle housing for the acruator fork, swap out a few of the differential housing studs and I was set. If you have the HP front end, then you can get the F&R locker thirds.

The front long spline axle shafts you can get from Longfield, the rears you can get from Poly Performance here in Estadio Unidos. And you can get a 12/24V converter for your 12V needs. You can hodge-podge a ECU out of Toyota parts, or see 12voltguy.com, he makes a dual e-locker switch panel with wiring harness for about $280. Downey used to make a cable actuator setup, he may have some kicking around. I used his cable actuator, it worked fine.

Or go ARB air lockers:meh:

Last edited:
unless your hard core about oem stuff arbs might be your most cost effective bet.
Either way your going to get a good product.
I am a toyota locker fan just because I like OEM stuff.

ARB = problems

the wiring for the Elocker is easy, look at the HZJ40 build and you will see a simple and effective way to wire the locker.

ARB = problems

the wiring for the Elocker is easy, look at the HZJ40 build and you will see a simple and effective way to wire the locker.

I don't like having to wire a compressor. One more thing to go wrong and that your relying on.
What I do like is if you get stuck and you need to put your lockers on you can just press them and they will engage instantly.
Toyota lockers are tough. I haven't heard of anyone grenading them.
ARBS get condensation and junk in the lines.

crushers whats your beef with em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom