Question about Imported Vehicles (NOT about importing vehicles) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, first off - first post here. I have searched and read a TON about importing vehicles.

My questions are about what to do with them once they get here.

I want a BJ4x from 79 or so (I want AC, this will be a daily driver in the SE) and am looking at/thinking about trying to import one.

My question is, once I successfully get one into the US, can I insure it? Even if it is RHD? Will I have to 'shop around' for insurance, or will any insurance be okay?

Other question, if I ended up with a RHD cruiser, how hard is it to find a mechanic to work on things that are over my head mechanically (I am a VERY amateur wrench)? How hard would it be for them to find parts?

Finally, with all the people bringing cruisers in from CA, are the US importers not legit (thinking specifically about http://www.globalclassicimports.com/)?

Thanks, if I missed a thread that answers these questions, please point me in the right direction.
/matt

Last edited:
I won't answer your importation questions, but look for a BJ4x that was of the 1981 model year or later. There were lots of revisions in that year that made for a superior Land Cruiser over previous years.

In 1983 the BJ4x models started to get (commonly) power steering, 5 speed transmissions, and a few had A/C. Units of this vintage are quite rare, however.

Be aware that Toyota Canada and Toyota USA will NOT provide parts support. You'll be using Spector or other 3rd party sources to obtain parts that are not in the USA/Canada parts catalogs. If the part you need is in the catalog you'll need the part number first because most dealers either can't or won't look it up either.

Be aware that Toyota Canada and Toyota USA will NOT provide parts support.

I have no problem getting parts for my 70 series from the local Toyota dealer. I give them the part number, and they will order it through the Toyota system. Many 70 series parts are the same as for 60 series sold in Canada till 85, so common stuff like a brake caliper assembly is available through local auto parts shops.

Of course if one asks for parts for a vehicle that was never sold in N.America, the parts folks can't be of much help. But, if you know how to work around their system, it's easy.

depending on state, if its older that 25 years, it may be exempt from a lot of saftey (RHD) and emissions (deisel) regulations making registration/insurance easier.

There is no problem with RHD in the US. In fact there are quite a few RHD built in Detroit for the delivery driver market. The safety issue is related to the construction of the vehicle.

I have no problem getting parts for my 70 series from the local Toyota dealer. I give them the part number, and they will order it through the Toyota system.

Giving them the part number is the key and as long as that number is in the US/Canadian system you're good to go, if not.....

Thanks for all the replys, keep 'em coming!

So I can get parts as long as I know the number, but what about getting a wrench to work on these things? If I was a mechanic I would be somewhat skeptical of working on a RHD car that had never been sold in the states, but maybe that is me.

I know that I could register it in GA (they are pretty lax on old vehicles), but I didn't know if insurance would have issues with a Jap import. Any input on that (or stories of how it did/didn't work)?

What about the US importer(s) (I only know of the one, Global Classic Imports, that is close-enough [in GA]) are they legit? If so, why aren't there more of them? It seems that the demand is there since people are driving in from Canada to bring these cruisers into the states. Maybe I just don't know enough about it though.

/matt

Cruiserdan!!!

You can also get parts by contacting [thread=17873]Cruiserdan[/thread] on this board. He is the parts manager at a Toyota dealer in Albuquerque, and there's almost nothing he can't get! It's a matter of the parts guy being willing to take the time to look stuff up in various systems, and Cruiserdan is willing to do just that.

As others have said, some stuff is available at your local dealer or parts store. For example, NAPA has 24V bulbs, of all things.

Good luck finding working factory A/C on a truck under $20k. ;)

Not by choice I am doing a bunch of NON US work this year. Swing by the shop to see the only Bj41 in NA and I can give you some idea of the issues with parts etc.... If you dont plan to work on it yourself it will get expensive quick BUT if you educate yourself and do some legwork you can do OK.

I would not fool with any BJ40 unless you just want one to have one. A FJ 40 will be cheaper and easier to work on. A 70 series is a great choice, especially a BJ 74, and parts are pretty easy to get either RHD or LHD.

If you dont plan to work on it yourself it will get expensive quick BUT if you educate yourself and do some legwork you can do OK.

I would not fool with any BJ40 unless you just want one to have one. A FJ 40 will be cheaper and easier to work on. A 70 series is a great choice, especially a BJ 74, and parts are pretty easy to get either RHD or LHD.

I like the 40 series-they are one of the best looking truck/SUV's ever and my wife and I have both always wanted one, now we are getting one.

I want a BJ because I love diesels, longevity and mileage, and will convert it to waste vegetable oil. I am an amateur wrench, but have never really worked on anything larger than motorcycle engines (except for changing fluids), but I don't mind learning and can do most anything as long as I have a shop manual to see pictures in and get a little explanation.

Giving them the part number is the key and as long as that number is in the US/Canadian system you're good to go, if not.....
This is not always true for the US.
I tried getting a vacuum pump for my 1HZ from the local Toyota dealer. They said that there was a brand new one in the toyota warehouse in California. But, since the 1HZ was never sold in the US, they could not order it for me. Toyota North America would not allow me to buy the part even though they had it on the shelf! Crazy!
But, the kicker was........that a Canadian Toyota dealership could get it for me but it was more expensive through them than my local dealership. Go figure.

think about it, Toyota Canada has to buy their parts through the states at the mark up attached then they will want to make a profit so you get a double whammy...they are not going to give you the damn thing...

This is not always true for the US.
I tried getting a vacuum pump for my 1HZ from the local Toyota dealer. They said that there was a brand new one in the toyota warehouse in California. But, since the 1HZ was never sold in the US, they could not order it for me. Toyota North America would not allow me to buy the part even though they had it on the shelf! Crazy!
But, the kicker was........that a Canadian Toyota dealership could get it for me but it was more expensive through them than my local dealership. Go figure.

I tend to think that your local dealer doesn't want the hassle. What are folks supposed to do if like me, they have a Canadian market Toyota diesel and suffer a breakdown while they are in the states (it hasn't happened but I do spend significant time in the states during my travels)? Try Cdan and see what he says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom