Project "Sparkles"-1997 LX450 Gen V 6.2 Swap (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is going to be awesome. You would think by now there would be an almost plug-and-play - drop in - easy to do conversion. It's not like this hasn't ever been done before. Or do the people (shops) that have done it before like to keep it a guarded secret?

This is going to be awesome. You would think by now there would be an almost plug-and-play - drop in - easy to do conversion. It's not like this hasn't ever been done before. Or do the people (shops) that have done it before like to keep it a guarded secret?
I think there are so many ways of doing this it’s hard to develop a kit so to speak. Maybe one day. Oh and my spreadsheet has grown/changed significantly. I’ll get that updated tomorrow

I think there are so many ways of doing this it’s hard to develop a kit so to speak. Maybe one day. Oh and my spreadsheet has grown/changed significantly. I’ll get that updated tomorrow
Maybe not a kit but a menu. Those who have done it pretty much follow a specific pattern I would think. Anyway, this will be cool to follow.

Well, a whole lot changed once I discovered Torfab's 80 Series Gen V LT Kit. I cant speak highly enough of him. He answered tons of questions and was so fast to respond. So I made a pivot and switched the plan to a 6.2 LT and 10L80. His kit offers 100% bolt in application. You start with a 6.2 or 5.3 with a 4x4 10L80 or 8L90 and use his adapter to mate it with the LC80 Transfercase. You are able to utilize the factory oil pan and truck style manifolds. His kit also places the transfercase where the factory driveshafts can be used. Tor is also building me custom fan shroud and mounting kit which will house factory style PWM fans that will be controlled by the Gen V ECM. I know Ill have great support once I begin the install.

I also ordered a factory Harness rework, Gen V DBW pedal, ECM Tuning and his "Muscle Car Module" from SwapTime. Mitch over there is a wiz with these things. He specializes in C10 truck conversions but he seems very interested in breaking into the LC world with these LT conversions.

The rest of the swap is very similar to doing an LS. Ill post more once the build commences.

I'll also continue to update the 1st post with build/part info

I'm in the same boat. 1FZ-FE and trans have been pulled for over a year while I save up for this swap. I am also planning to go with the L86 and 10L80. I am just down the road in Tyler.

Following this closely!

I'm in the same boat. 1FZ-FE and trans have been pulled for over a year while I save up for this swap. I am also planning to go with the L86 and 10L80. I am just down the road in Tyler.

Following this closely!
Awesome! I’ll help in anyway I can. I’ve been blown away by the amount of people who have willingly given me invaluable information and taken time from thier days to even chat on the phone

Got my Torfab kit in today. Very well made!

5ED73267-2D80-4EB7-A1AB-432B8BE64FC5.jpeg

Subscribed.

The 8L looks smaller but seems less well regarded than the 10L - did that factor into your choice?

And 6.2 vs 5.3 … was that just about the powah, or something else?

Do you mind measuring your engine+trans combo length?

My driveline was moved rearward in my frame 6-7” when converting my body to the Ute … and the body as well- the frame rails that hold my winch are normal 80 dimensions.

My stock 1993 motor and tranny are still connecting to a stock transfer case. And it’s a pretty tight fit between my radiator and the front of my engine.

Things already different on my truck to make that work: two new shorter driveshafts, front anti-swaybar removed, motor mounts.

A swap such as this is on my bucket list - wishing you well and following with interest.

Well, a whole lot changed once I discovered Torfab's 80 Series Gen V LT Kit. I cant speak highly enough of him. He answered tons of questions and was so fast to respond. So I made a pivot and switched the plan to a 6.2 LT and 10L80. His kit offers 100% bolt in application. You start with a 6.2 or 5.3 with a 4x4 10L80 or 8L90 and use his adapter to mate it with the LC80 Transfercase. You are able to utilize the factory oil pan and truck style manifolds. His kit also places the transfercase where the factory driveshafts can be used. Tor is also building me custom fan shroud and mounting kit which will house factory style PWM fans that will be controlled by the Gen V ECM. I know Ill have great support once I begin the install.

I also ordered a factory Harness rework, Gen V DBW pedal, ECM Tuning and his "Muscle Car Module" from SwapTime. Mitch over there is a wiz with these things. He specializes in C10 truck conversions but he seems very interested in breaking into the LC world with these LT conversions.

The rest of the swap is very similar to doing an LS. Ill post more once the build commences.

I'll also continue to update the 1st post with build/part info
I'll be following your progress closely. After spending all of the money last year doing a re-spray, lockers, gears etc., the next upgrade on the docket is the powertrain. The first page got a little confusing seeing people reference 4-speeds and older engine models. Maybe a note on your first post letting people know the original plan wasn't actually for an LT, thus the older parts discussed?

A few months behind you in the same project (i.e., still planning / plotting). Thanks for posting all this and explaining the evolution in your plans. Glad to trade notes any time.

How in the Heck did you get ahold of mitch at Swaptime.... i've tried phone calls, emails, FB message, IG messages multiple times. I guess smoke signals are next for me.

How in the Heck did you get ahold of mitch at Swaptime.... i've tried phone calls, emails, FB message, IG messages multiple times. I guess smoke signals are next for me.
Oh dang. I guess I got lucky? I’ve spoken to him several times throughout the process. He is a small shop and well worth the wait and patience.

Oh dang. I guess I got lucky? I’ve spoken to him several times throughout the process. He is a small shop and well worth the wait and patience.
Haven't tried in a few months now but tried for about a month straight. Then work slowed down and funds dried up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom