Builds Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The reason I chose to put the radiator in the bed was to keep the 80 frame, motor mounts, axles all in their stock locations. In hindsight, I would have just put the cab where it needed to be for front axle clearance, and move the drivetrain back to fit. Its a 6cyl in a 6cyl hole, I was just stubborn. The 4.7 swap putting the radiator back up front fixed everything though. Great build, keep the pics coming.

got it! thanks. I'm finding with the 60 frame the fan sat too low and hit the low rad hose and the frame diagonal that sits there.

I found some small parts I was looking for, so hopefully this week I'll start mounting up the front bib, rad and motor mounts.

I'm leaning away from the RHD tub right now, but still considering it.

got the bib mounted. anyone know the gap measurement between the bib and rad mount in a 40? mine is not stock anymore so I can't reference it.
one thing I need to make clear now...my fab skills are not up to the likes of D'Animal, Waggoner5 or most of you here. make fun of my welds and fab if you feel the need, I can take it. :D I actually did pretty good this time, but consistency isn't there yet. for anything structural, I tack it up and have a real welder do the final burn in.
DSCF0482.jpg

I know my progress is kinda painfully slow.:D I only have about 1-3 hours every couple days. once I get the motor mounts in, it will pick up because I can then transport it again to work and back. I'll get like 8 hours every third day then.

today my 12 year old and I made the radiator mounts. simple, but effective. there will be about 1/2-3/4" between the bib and rad support.
IMG_9734.2.jpg
IMG_9737.jpg

Nice Shawn...

Let me know if you need the other wiring harness parts.

By the way, I would definitely use correct 1FZ isolators and custom-make the mounts to the frame. The Toyota OEM stuff is really good.

...Let me know if you need the other wiring harness parts.

By the way, I would definitely use correct 1FZ isolators and custom-make the mounts to the frame. The Toyota OEM stuff is really good.

if you don't need them, yes I'll take the harness parts.
the 1FZ isolators are the motor mount parts? if so, yes, I'm using them. 1 needs replaced, but is good enough for mock up. I'm thinking of using the motor frame brackets from the 60 and extending them. they might look like crap, but will be strong. I got the steel to fab up my own too.

Nice project and when you get it down you'll have to bring back up to SD to run it through its paces!!! Keep up the good work!!

Nice project and when you get it down you'll have to bring back up to SD to run it through its paces!!! Keep up the good work!!

we had a blast up there! will certainly have to do that.
it got super cold here and so I have had no motivation to work on it in 30* weather. I have to work outside and in gravel.:rolleyes:

we had a blast up there! will certainly have to do that.
it got super cold here and so I have had no motivation to work on it in 30* weather. I have to work outside and in gravel.:rolleyes:

30* weather is like t-shirt weather in the winter up here most of the time!!!

being from southern Az, I do better in the hot weather than cold...:D

weather has been warm for a long time now.:rolleyes: my son has been bugging me to work on this with him (good boy!). so I ordered an aftermarket radiator. yesterday he ground out a notch for the new radiator and opened up the drain plug access, then cleaned the rusty nuts in the rad mount. next up is mounting the new Taurus fan.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

slowly getting more done. We pulled the frame mounted hard fuel lines since they have to move to the driver side. front motor mounts are tacked in. we used body mounts that were cut off the rear of the frame. very minor mods and they fit great. I don't like the penetration I got on the tacks, so the ratchet strap will stay in for support for the time being. next up is transmission mounts. they should go in tomorrow.

attachment.php

more work done! transmission mounts are tacked in. the drive train is now suspended in it's own mounts. I know I don't have the super cool fabbed mounts I see others in the hard core corner doing. frankly, my skills aren't that good yet.:lol:

attachment.php

the fan mounted in place. the frame to radiator bracket supports will push the radiator away just a touch for a little more space.

attachment.php

and the body mock up looks perfect. plenty of space for the motor at the firewall.
next up is making the cab part of the body so we can mount it to the frame.

attachment.php

you are correct. the 60 frame is shorter in front of the front x-member. that pushes the axle farther back on the 40 body. still deciding if I will move the axle forward, or just go ghetto and cut the 40 body back. I'm making my own fenders anyway. that will be farther down the line. this is no purist project.:D
the rear axle will most likely be moved back as well, so balancing the 2 and not have a 125" wheel base is gonna be tough. if I can keep it to 112-114, I'll be happy.

I don't know if the 60 springs are asymmetrical like in a 40, if they are couldn't you just flip them to get the axle forward? The wheel just looks too crowded back there, and I bet there are bound to be rubbing/clearance issues with it that tight. It's worth looking into making it proportionally correct, and functionally solid.

Just one man's opinion, but that's an awful lot of work to not have it look and function like a million bucks.

Best of luck on the project. And it's good to see your boys taking an active interest, it can't help but serve them well as they get older.

lefty b

I just measured them. it will move the axle up 1/2". it will get a SOA and shackle reversal anyway. I do have room to move the springs up 4.5" to the end of the frame. ideally the back will move rearward 4-6", but that's 116-118" wheelbase. not a deal breaker, but I'd like to keep it under that for fairly hardcore rock crawling. so hope for it to work like close to a million bucks.
these are good ideas and considerations. one reason I posted it here. :cheers:

also, the tub will move back about 1". it's too far forward in the pic.

edit: yes it is good to have him involved. he has been helping with every step so far. we have 3 years 'til he's 16. should be done before that!

lots done today! I made the top and bottom rails of the cab. I don't have a square tubing bender, so I have to be creative. I am doing all this with mostly hand tools. I don't have a shop or cool tools.
so I bent some strap up.
attachment.php

I used an old hard top side as a template.
attachment.php

they were squared up and welded in. my welding is not very good, but it'll hold.
attachment.php

then I started boxing them in. they will get boxed completely, but I need more steel.
attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom