Power steering (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hallo you all, I'm new in this group.
I want to buy a fj45 '83, daily driver for tours.
Is het hard to steer without power steering, my wife has to drive it also.
Thanks in advance.

not on the street but for bumping around the bush it would make things alot smoother and a better day IMO. oem parts can get expensive, you can do power steering with aftermarket parts with mods however it is not cheap either. For ease of install an oem set up would be easiest & fastest if you have access to the parts. There are a few good sites that could put that package together for you, contact Georg at Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids, he has the parts,knowledge, and contacts that may make things easier for you.

Firstly, anyone can drive one, some will need to try harder than others.
Depends what tyres you have on it. Big fat tyres are a lot harder to turn.
On smooth tarmac with skinny tyres its pretty easy driving as long as you're moving.
Hold the wheel firmly - if you hit a hole in the road then it might give you a good tug.

If you expect to palm the wheel from lock to lock while stationary, then forget it.

As with everything 40, it's part of the experience. You learn how to drive without PS in the same way that you learn to live with the very high clutch pedal, the wiper switch on the dash, and zero visibility of the front bumper. Go for it.

City Racer offers an electric power steering that mounts under the dash. May be your best bet as OEM components are rare and spendy

In my opinion, as for what you want to do, Electric is the way to go. @CityRacer, sells a kit that is basicaly bolt on.
I put together four E-Steering kits over the years. If you have fab skills you could build your own for cheaper than his kits. (Only buy a little), But in the interest of time, his prices are more than fair.
The other options are great in my opinion, but not if the truck is going to be a mild wheeler, mostly daily driver.
ELectric is not as invasive than the other options. And, easily reversible if needed.

I too vote for the electric kit City Racer sells. I have the same kit on my BJ45 and we love it. Adjustable gain to increase resistance. If for some reason it goes out you still have steering. I purchased a second kit for the Fj40 we have. In time I hope to put one on my 55. Very unobtrusive. Manufacturer is in the Netherlands, the Blue troopy pictured on their website is mine from a long time ago.

I installed the electric power steering and it works very well for concrete driving and not to difficult to install. Unfortunately, I occasionally rock crawl my FJ40 and it did not work out so I went with Saginaw. The electric option much cheaper than the Saginaw. Just depends what you plan to do with your Land Cruiser.

I installed the electric power steering and it works very well for concrete driving and not to difficult to install. Unfortunately, I occasionally rock crawl my FJ40 and it did not work out so I went with Saginaw. The electric option much cheaper than the Saginaw. Just depends what you plan to do with your Land Cruiser.
We do offroad tours with tourists, so it's partly on the road an partly offroad. But not heavy stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom