power steering fluid ok instead of ATF?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a small leak coming from what i believe is an o-ring so i had my local shop change the o-ring and change the fluid. he put in power steering fluid instead of the recommended ATF dextron III. is this ok or should i insist he drain and re-fill with the proper fluid? ...he said power steering fluid is very similar and there aren't any noises coming from the system.

Thanks.

Drain and refill, and take your owner's manual in and show him, because he'll likely argue with you.

I can't remember if running power steering fluid over ATF is catastrophic or not. I seem to recall that it might be. Others will chime in. But once you find out how much it costs to replace the pump, much less the hassle involved, I think you're next stop will be the shop.

It should say right on the reservoir cap to use ATF. Take it back and make him flush the whole thing. What a maroon.

Define "power steering fluid" as long as it isn't one of the "special" fluids like for Honda's your good to go. Standard power steering fluid is light hydraulic oil, this is what was in your rig from the factory. ATF is light hydraulic oil with friction modifiers, detergents, etc added to deal with the clutches, etc in the auto trans, unneeded contaminants in a purely hydraulic system like power steering. In my experience light hydraulic oil runs smoother and quieter in Toyota systems.

Define "power steering fluid" as long as it isn't one of the "special" fluids like for Honda's your good to go. Standard power steering fluid is light hydraulic oil, this is what was in your rig from the factory. ATF is light hydraulic oil with friction modifiers, detergents, etc added to deal with the clutches, etc in the auto trans, unneeded contaminants in a purely hydraulic system like power steering. In my experience light hydraulic oil runs smoother and quieter in Toyota systems.

i appreciate your replies.... but since it does say dextron ATF on the cap i had him flush it and put ATF in.

If power steering fluid is the same , without the additives, why then does Toyota recommend ATF and not use power steering fluid?

...he said he told his guy to use the power steering fluid becuase it is "smoother" and better for the system than the recommended ATF. Boy i feel a bit like a schmuck but oh well. He didn't argue with me and he's a great guy and now I have dextron ATF in my system. :beer:

When I bought my 80 series, suppose that the PO add power steering fluid at some point .. you know those sound that you don't want to ear in your PS pump .. well I got all of 'em ..

As far I realice that I'm not running ATF .. I swap all fluid and swap in ATF much less groaning sound and that all .. much better feeling in my PS system ..

Mine had PS fluid when I got it.. Been using PS fluid ever since, and no problems, just a persistent leak...

Standard power steering fluid is light hydraulic oil, this is what was in your rig from the factory.

Well then mine had red PS fluid from the factory...

IIRC every Toyota vehicle specifies ATF for the PS system. Why would they specify ATF instead of PS fluid.

That would most likely explain why my two brother's 60's leaked (may still) P/S fluid, thanks Jon.

Running some brake fluid through the system on my old Ram Charger solved a leak, and no it wasn't a hole in the line, it was the seal on the pump. That must have been 12 years ago, still no leaks.

I wouldn't try it again, but then again, I wouldn't wheel with out p/s in that rig either.

my Power pump was rebuilt after leaking like crazy and making weird noises. still cried and leaked a little due to ps fluid. emptied the to resovoir no flush just refilled with ATF and leak is gone and noise went away. Sooooooooo..... If I completely replace with ATF I bet that it will perform even better....:doh:

Well then mine had red PS fluid from the factory...

Your may have, but I worked on tons of Toyota's in that time frame and all that I worked on had tan fluid.

IIRC every Toyota vehicle specifies ATF for the PS system. Why would they specify ATF instead of PS fluid.

ATF and hydraulic oil are very similar, both will work, ATF is more common in a shop allowing them to reduce the fluid inventory. Hydraulic fluid is more resistant to cavitation, so if the system is stressed, especially in hot environments, it's a better choice and will run smoother.

I must agree with Tools here. (Did I just say that?)
I replaced the ATF in my pump with straight hydraulic oil after fixing a leak and the constant Ford-like whine went away.

My Fluid is brown/gold which had me worried until I saw a post by Tools in another thread saying this is normal. I'm replacing small amounts at a time with ATF though.

Leave it. PS fluid is fine. It's just a hydraulic pump.

Leave it. PS fluid is fine. It's just a hydraulic pump.

If you're talking to me I didn't mean I'm changing it because it's PS fluid. I'm changing because my truck has 206k on it and thought it might like fresher fluid.

Just switched from RedLine D4 ATF to the PSF and now it groans like the old Caprice I had. No knock on RedLine, got it everywhere else, just going back to the ATF. The PSF seemed a lot less viscous than the ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom