Potential New Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys (and gals),

I've been a long time lurker in the dark here and now down to getting serious about getting a cruiser.

I'm a former born and raised Edmontonian but had to move 3 hours south to work in the patch... Would love to be back in Edmonton though!!

Anyways, I have a potential cruiser 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser - Edmonton SUV, Crossover For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton What are your thoughts?

I'd really like to have a diesel. I'm quite familiar with the workings of a diesel. I especially love the fuel mileage of a 3B. The price seems a little cheap... I just got the fellows phone number today and will give him a call but I just wanted to see what you guys thought or are maybe familiar with this cruiser. I'll post up what I hear.

Looks like he's also selling an HJ.

Cheers,

Geoff

A little bedliner and fiberglass and that could look pretty decent for a bush truck, not going to be a beauty though... kms seem nice and low considering what it is. It has a 5-speed as an 84, right? Make sure you check the frame, that could be a deal killer. If you come up to have a look, and I'm around town at the time, I'd be happy to look at it with you.

Curtis.

Pretty clean considering the diesel 60's usually have a lot more rust.
Check out the glow system to ensure that it works well, sometimes you don't realize that until the temps drop. Otherwise the frame as mentioned by RockDoc is the only thing that really goes on these units. Take the cruiser on a highway run, check if it pops out of 5th, a common issue for worn out units, but this one is a low miler in my opinion. Also the condition of the rad / rad hoses is good to make a point of, since they need a rebuild / replacement after 26 years.

ahh, I hope I am not too slow in responding!! I talked to the guy and another couple is looking at the cruiser and is taking it to a mechanic tonight... I was a little surprised that they would take it to a mechanic seeing as its a $2500 truck but none-the-less I am second in line.

I asked about the HJ and he said its not running, needs batteries. I take it hasn't been ran in quite some time.

Good luck, hope it works out for you. he never responded to any of my emails.

Cruiser-less :(

It sold last night. The couple that were looking at it the day before snagged it. Too bad, it seemed like a gem. The mechanic inspection went well the seller said. All it needed were brakes and some front pinion work (not sure what he really meant by that though... I didn't push the point)

Well, the hunt continues for my BJ60.

Dont worry too much, I found a great deal on Kijiji about 2 months ago, an 1985 BJ60 for $1500, when you see a deal like that you have to jump, fast! just keep watching every day.

When you see a deal like that you have to jump, fast! just keep watching every day.

I looked throughout Alberta for a solid 3 months, several times daily before I came upon the ad for my current truck. I called the guy less than 20min after the ad was posted, had the truck held for me, drove down that weekend and picked it up.

That's why they have such ridiculous prices for the condition they are in, because they all sell like hotcakes.

I'm guess it was the brown 84 you were hoping to get?

Yeah, I was hoping for the brown 84. He has an HJ but its an auto and I am really not wanting an auto.

That picture in your profile - was that for sale on Kijiji in the south side of Calgary a few months ago? It looks vaguely familiar. Glad someone from here picked it up and will properly wheel that beast.

Yeah, I was hoping for the brown 84. He has an HJ but its an auto and I am really not wanting an auto.

That picture in your profile - was that for sale on Kijiji in the south side of Calgary a few months ago? It looks vaguely familiar. Glad someone from here picked it up and will properly wheel that beast.

Yea, that was it. I overpayed, but I'm not regretting it. The truck had been swamped crossing water, and the carpets were not removed to air out. By not doing this under the carpets were full of mud, mildewy, and the whole truck is rusted out around the wheelwells and floorboards cause of all the wet mud. I've already put $2500 into the rear end, $1500 in tires, and it still needs quite a bit of work.

The rear wheelwells had rust holes inside you could stick your head through once I cleared out the bad metal, the lower mounts for the rear seat backing were rusted almost completely off. I managed to weld most of it, but it still needs lots of work. There are also leaks in the air lines to the lockers I need to sort out. The frame is super solid though.

The engine itself is also in super shape, and so is the transmission. The front end has serious pinion play, and the starter is cranking slow.

I meant to take pictures of the rust and stuff before I fixed it, but I forgot.

It's a big piece of s***, but I love it at the same time.:D

Hey all,

Been shopping for awhile - like all others here it seems and I had actually looked at the brown BJ60 mentioned at the start of this thread (I also backed away from Jo's non-running HJ).

Anyhow a guy down the street has a '82 BJ (4 Speed) usual rust but what got me was that once the engine warmed up it started making a funny noise. I looked at the guy and he said that "it was just" one of the rod bearings - my intial thoughts was "rebuild" and "run"

What does the peanut gallery say?

Thanks for the help

What does the funny noise sound like? It sounds like when the oil warms up and gets thinner something is making a noise. But you have to let us know what the noise sounds like so we can get an idea. If you want to rebuild it I can do it for cheap labour, you just have to supply me with the parts.

Anyhow a guy down the street has a '82 BJ (4 Speed) usual rust but what got me was that once the engine warmed up it started making a funny noise. I looked at the guy and he said that "it was just" one of the rod bearings - my intial thoughts was "rebuild" and "run"

Is this down the street in Edmonton ?
Because I know of a BJ42 in Edmonton that has been parked for at least 7 years...all the seals are probably shrivelled up and cracked. Wouldn't buy that unit unless the motor was going to be rebuilt.

Hey - sorry I should have been more specific. The truck is a 60. I am going to take another look at it this weekend I hope and take a better look at the frame and the engine.

Hey - sorry I should have been more specific. The truck is a 60. I am going to take another look at it this weekend I hope and take a better look at the frame and the engine.

Called me last night and told me he decided not to sell.

:frown:

Back to the search.

What price range are you looking at for a new cruiser ?

Is this down the street in Edmonton ?
Because I know of a BJ42 in Edmonton that has been parked for at least 7 years...all the seals are probably shrivelled up and cracked. Wouldn't buy that unit unless the motor was going to be rebuilt.

South Edmonton? I know of a property that has a blue BJ42 on the yard, and a red BJ60 on the driveway. They have been sitting for years.

^ Yeah that Blue BJ42 is rusty in the rear wheel wells and many other places.
That owner is keeping that Cruiser for his grandson....to grab interest in it.
Who knows when that will happen?

I was going to drive up Saturday to see it... I'll have to give this guy a call and make sure its still around! He's a bit of an odd duck so I'll have ot make sure I don't make a 6 hour drive for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom