Please help with PTO install on a '65 fj45 pick-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am in the process of building a '65 pick-up. I am putting a 2F with a 4 speed tranny and a PTO winch in the truck. I have the engine in and when I tried to put the pto gear box in there seems to be a clearance problem with a U shaped channel on the underside of the floor board. Will I need to cut a section out. It would stand to reason that the pto would have fit the three speed (being shorter than the four speed) with out modification.

I am not sure if the body and motor mounts are stock/proper, which could effect the clearance.

Thanks for any help.

Martin

ps I am kind of new to this and first posted in the 45 & 40 Tech page, was unsure of the proper place

Thanks

The question could be asked in the 45 section at the bottom of the main page. Probably get the best response there. I've run a four speed in my 68 FJ40 with a PTO with no problem. What I did do was use some fender washers on the front motor mounts that angled the back down. A body lift could also help but then your dealing with raising steering box which isn't easy to do if your still using the factory steering box held in place by a clamp. Not sure how much clearance you need, a picture would also help. I have 65 pickup waiting to be restored. But I don't have it here with me to look at. Plan on running a four speed as well but with a split transfer case and PTO. So I'm interested in this question. I plan on using a cowl from 78 FJ40 and possibly some of the floor. Any U shaped channel I cut I would want to beef up some other way.

Thanks for the reply. The U-shaped channel is the sheet metal re-enforcement around the rear of the transmittion opening. I hate to cut and re-enfoce it as the tub is in great shape. I might try a combination of a small body lift and the shims under the front MM's.

I will try to get a pic posted soon.

Here are a couple of pics that show the clearance problem. 20150708_205056.jpg 20150708_205128.jpg

So only the lever is hitting the U channel. Personally I would do some custom bending of the rod going to the shifter and bend the lever towards the inside so it clears the channel. Wouldn't do a body lift or shimmed the front motor mounts for that.

My later split case PTO that lever is on the front side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom