Looking to be educated --why use a hook or a flatlink on a winch line? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LWC

Threads
I don't think i understand the point of the factor 55 flat links and other things like that....

It looks like the standard way of setting a winch up is for the load path to go: winch -- line -- thimble in a spliced loop of line -- hook -- whatever you are connecting to. This is shown in the image of the truck bumper.

Why not just connect the thimble in the spliced loop of line (shown in the second picture) directly to whatever you are pulling on with a shackle and take the hook/flatlink/sidewinder/whatever out of the system? even if they're strong, it seems like more weight, complexity and additional points of failure.

See the red factor 55 pro link connected to a shackle connected to a strap below.... The diameter of the pin is smaller than a shackle pin, so its not really doing anything to prevent the thimble from crushing. Why bother with the pro-link as a middle man?

hook.jpg
loop.jpg
ProLink-with-shackle-and-strap-768x576.jpg
ProLink-blue-disassembled-680x510.jpg

They look cool. In my opinion the splice on option seems like a better option where it's actually eliminating a connection point.

Reactions: LWC
They look cool. In my opinion the splice on option seems like a better option where it's actually eliminating a connection point.
No doubt that the red one makes you faster. Agree that the splice on option seems better, however, even then I am still wondering what it adds beyond that it looks way cooler than the thimble that comes with the winch rope.

edit: words

Last edited:
the thimble shown is trash and gets smashed easily.
the "point" of f55 is closed loop, meaning no hook to fail or fall off.
but you are correct. look into yankum ropes winch rope termination.
i personally run f55 flat splicers. i like to have a little bit of weight on the rope in case i have to toss it.

I don't think i understand the point of the factor 55 flat links and other things like that....

It looks like the standard way of setting a winch up is for the load path to go: winch -- line -- thimble in a spliced loop of line -- hook -- whatever you are connecting to. This is shown in the image of the truck bumper.

Why not just connect the thimble in the spliced loop of line (shown in the second picture) directly to whatever you are pulling on with a shackle and take the hook/flatlink/sidewinder/whatever out of the system? even if they're strong, it seems like more weight, complexity and additional points of failure.

See the red factor 55 pro link connected to a shackle connected to a strap below.... The diameter of the pin is smaller than a shackle pin, so its not really doing anything to prevent the thimble from crushing. Why bother with the pro-link as a middle man?

View attachment 3312598View attachment 3312599
ProLink-with-shackle-and-strap-768x576.jpg
ProLink-blue-disassembled-680x510.jpg
Great question, I dont understand the point of some of these things either. My Warn came with a steel cable ending in a loop with a hook on the end. Why would I need anything else?

I prefer the hook. It's easy to hook onto many things. Especially in an emergency where you'd need to loop around a roll cage of a rig in it's roof in water or on a ledge.

I'm sure the fancy rope ends are fine. I just don't really put much value in them vs the normal hook ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom