Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The cad and turbo looks very nice! hope you get it running soon.
I had to use 1st gear uphill 14% with boat trailer (total 3500 kg I think = 1 horse for 35 kg) but afraid for turbo $ and work, to much work already to keep it road legal :wrench::wrench::wrench:
I will reinstall the turbo whistle in the exhaust tonight :banana:

My manifold to turbo adapter is being welded as we speak. And then I only have to source or make a down pipe. Prolly best to make one. In case anyone wonders, this is where I got my inspiration for my turbo build.
Diesel hj60 turbo set up

Ok so by these pics it's obvious that my hood won't close. What u guys think? Cut the hood or rework the entire turbo placement? Any ideas? I am inclined to cut the damn hood...in the thread I mentioned above the op has the same setup but there aren't any pics of it with the hood closed. I'll try to revive the thread and see if he replies.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg

nice .. I'm pretty sure you already think about this, but be sure your CT26 don't get more than 64 or so PSI of oil pressure ..

I don't really like the idea of cutting the hood but that's my opinion.
There's no enough space if you flip the manifold and turbo? ..nah won't work :meh:
12H-T manifold would do the trick but those are hard to find in the US anyway.

GL!

G'day

It's been more than 15 years since I did this but you used to be able to buy "turbo" manifolds relatively inexpensively for the 2H. These give you more room to work with and are set up to "flow" the gasses correctly and to take the heat.

When I did my first conversion I was trying to save every dollar and had a shopping list of components. I got the manifold first and then spent ages hunting for a turbo at the right price. I used stainless exhaust sections and fabricated my piping and bought silicone joints from a speed shop that was in liquidation. It took a long time and a lot of effort running around and researching but that 'cruiser is still running.

The next time we took a deep breath and bought a Safari kit!

Ironbark

Ok so should I just try to source a manifold? I think I may have to come up with a different way of connecting the turbo to the stock mani. More fiddling I guess.

you can source a one piece exhaust manifold .. that in my books would be an upgrade, but moving the turbo to the low position can be challenging ..

I think I'm just gonna keep the current setup and install a small scoop after I cut the hood. A 12ht mani is 550 sourced from Japan.

G'day

You'd be better off with a correctly engineered manifold:

- gas flow is better
- heat retention lower
- you can easily clear the bonnet, (no need for an additional adapter and the manifold sits lower in the first place)
- the outlet lines up with the inlet

Spend a bit of time looking and sending emails to suppliers and you'll soon enough sort out the right deal.

I usually spend most of my time in the design phase - I work to three complete options within my price bracket and completely cost them out (down bolts and nuts)

Every one has different experiences but I have found that if I don't do this something will surprise me on price. Kits can often be surprisingly cost effective so I don't eliminate them until I have done a total costing on all components needed.

It pays to ask exactly what comes in kits though - gaskets, bolts and feed lines can add up.

Ironbark

I sent an email to a supplier in Japan. I'm waiting for a response. I would prefer the 12ht manifold but where to get one?

Everything else is ready to go, feed lines ,pyro, boost gauge all wired and ready to be connected. I think I only need the downpipe at this point,if I go with the current setup.

G'day again

A 12ht manifold isn't really what you want; the heads are different between the 2h and 12ht. There used to be a few actual makers of aftermarket manifolds for conversions. At least four were available here in Australia without special efforts.

Aside from what I've listed above the problem with inverting the manifold and making an adapter is that you end up with the flange height above the manifold (about an inch from memory?) plus the height of your adapter to bolt the turbo to the manifold (another inch and a half or so - again from memory). A total of 2 1/2 inches.

The turbo conversion manifolds for the 2h eliminate this and are a different casting altogether which is specifically designed for the job. Bushie conversions - inverting the 2h manifold result in extra heat around pot 2 and a lot of pain with pipe routing and chopping of the hood.

As I said - it's been a good 15 plus years since I did this myself - I'm not remembering all that I once knew.

Ironbark

A 12ht manifold isn't really what you want; the heads are different between the 2h and 12ht.
Both heads share same exhaust manifold bolt pattern so both 2H and 12H-T manifolds are interchangeable between these two.
I don't see any reason why 12H-T manifold would not work with 2H and CT26.

I could easily source you a 12H-T mani but shipping would be a PITA.:confused: @mongoose2231

:cheers:

Sorry - it's hard to work out what bits of technical detail are needed and not needed - if you are inverting the manifold for a high mount turbo (which makes much more sense for a retrofit) then you are better off with an aftermarket manifold than a 12ht manifold turned upside down plus there are fundamental differences between the two heads.

I can probably still do one of these conversions without thinking -but if you are fiddling about with the turbo unit you want it up where you can see it - not under the exhaust manifold - there's a lot of plumbing and fettling jobs that are much easier with the unit up top rather than down low. Plus these are pipes and stuff that get in the way.

Please take a look at all the common conversions: denco, axt, 4wdsystems, dts, turboglide etc (might be others!) they were all top mount for very sound reasons.

Ironbark

Thanks for the advice. I have everything ready to go, oil lines pyro everything plumbed and wired. I flipped the stock manifold. And did anticipate hitting the hood but never really thought about buying a manifold. Was gonna cut the hood. Maybe I can get a used one of them manifolds u mentioned on top from Australia. I'll do some searching.

To put this in context most of these conversions were for Utes (pickups I think you call them?) and troopys (troop carriers) these were never sold with the 12ht.

There were thousands of these sold here every year and diesel was and is available relatively inexpensively to agriculture and mining. Petrol (gasoline) is also difficult to handle in really hot conditions. We had petrol V8 conversions here (I had one in a 40 series) but they used fuel at a rate that was unacceptable for remote applications where you might not see a fuel station for 1000km. The 40 series ute I had was great fun but was lucky to only double the rate of fuel consumption of a 2h. If you sunk the boot in things got worse.

Hence an industry has grown up here converting the staple farm and industry ute and service vehicle (troopys) to turbo diesel form. The landcruiser ute occupies the same type of space that the ford f truck series does in the US. It wasn't until well into the 90's that toyota began selling turbo diesel Utes and troopys here and even then they were well beyond what most could afford.

The conversions had to be able to be done in local workshops and then work reliably for 400,000km in 50degree Celsius heat on roads made of dust and rocks. This isn't an exaggeration - farmers and mine workers here will often spend more time with their landcruiser than with their family - and if your vehicle breaks down help can be days away if you can get a call out.

If replicating the 12ht set-up could have been done reliably and cost effectively you can bet your bottom dollar every one of the conversion firms would have done it.

Ironbark

I have a question about my install. The valve cover breather, that would have to be relocated right? As instead of vacuum going down the intake there is high pressure now. Am I right about that, or is that ok for now. I have yet to install/ fab a down pipe. Hoping to start this thing this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom