OM606.692 Turbodiesel into FJ40 (SBC Swap) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm totally into everything you're doing, completely epic!

I'm just wondering why not do a 12hdt/h55 swap? By the time you've paid for adapters, ect you could have picked up a ready to drop in Toyota setup.

Again, just curious. Keep up the good work.
Aaand... From the little I've read, due to the availability of modded injection pumps from the performance merc hackers in northern europe, i'll be able to pull between 2-3x the power out of the 606 that a 12hT can produce. Nicely within milage and engine tolerance, too. Or so I'll find out. I also prefer the ratios and bulk of the NV4500 vs the H55. But that's just justification, or something.

At the end of the day:
Dumb and unnecessary, but damn skinny peddle is fun. Especially 800 miles into the setting desert sun...

I had a run in with bendtsens trying to buy an adapter a year ago but you got me thinkin maybe I should try again. I called and the girl working there was nice and helpful but told me I needed to speak to bob. he never called me back but thankfully I read more about the issues you guys have been having with his adapter. im ruling him out again. I actually just ordered one from Koch (again I have an OM617 though) as I found out my bell housing will mate their adapter. they were very helpful and friendly to work with. prompt replies too. too bad they don't make an adapter for your engine ...yet!

Sweet! Good luck on your swap - 617 is an amazing mill - and good call on your adaptor vendor choice.

Sadly, in my case, beggars in a hurry don't get to pick much, so Bendsten's it was. And although Ron!!! has gotten them to stand by thier product and mill correct adapters, my timeline doesn't afford pulling the engine and exchanging the adapter.

After talking to a few folks, the clocking of my trans due to the incorrect alignment of the behousing represents a modest bit accepaptable risk to the trans. Since it's a personal vehical and the warranty is backed by my sorry ass, Time and miles will tell.

Ok here is my 2 cents, I am doing a606 install in a FJ 45 in the near future after involved research and bringing in my past experiences, I have gone with the diesel flavor. This is subject to an opinated decision towards something other than the 350 chev that is a standard but just dident fit my fancy. What swayed me is the increased fuel milage and low end torque. Many pros and cons.

Subscribed. Please update as things materialize! Good luck!

Hello I was needing some help finding the correct turbo for my 606 jk I've been working on for about 3 years. I have an hx 30 on it now it is the best as of now but still not happy with the performance. Have 8 mm plungers so fuel won't be a problem. Any ideas would be greatly apriciative.

How much power are you expecting from your 606. If things are set right you should be getting about 300 hp+the way it is set, tell us what you have done. One thing comes to mind is you injector nozzles size might need to be changed. Post up.

How much power are you expecting from your 606. If things are set right you should be getting about 300 hp+the way it is set, tell us what you have done. One thing comes to mind is you injector nozzles size might need to be changed. Post up.
The pump homemade exhaust and intake manifolds. Been trying different turbos since I got it going last week. First I tried hy35 and couldn't get it to boost till 3k and when it did if it didn't blow the hoses off it would blow holes in them. Was a dog up until then so that was no good. Then h1c, no good, wh1c with 12 cm housing better but still no good then hx30 and it is now got me grinning a little. 100% better than the other turbos. Still feels like it's not a good match. I feel like it should move more effortless than what it does. Feels like it's under a load like the brakes are on not literally but feels heavy like not enough engine. I don't think I have the combination yet.

The pump homemade exhaust and intake manifolds. Been trying different turbos since I got it going last week. First I tried hy35 and couldn't get it to boost till 3k and when it did if it didn't blow the hoses off it would blow holes in them. Was a dog up until then so that was no good. Then h1c, no good, wh1c with 12 cm housing better but still no good then hx30 and it is now got me grinning a little. 100% better than the other turbos. Still feels like it's not a good match. I feel like it should move more effortless than what it does. Feels like it's under a load like the brakes are on not literally but feels heavy like not enough engine. I don't think I have the combination yet.
What kind of injector nozzles would be good size wise? On power not sure just want it to move down the road with v8 power but Not sure if I'm asking to much?

I've looked into the Cummins 2.8 ISF lately. Seem to get lost finding a source to potentially find one. Thought about the 1.9 TDI from VW. Haven't research Mercedes that much. I would like an available, efficient yet powerful enough engine as a potential swap.

x100

Here's my list:
Available
Enough Power
Reliable
Efficient
Bullet proof
Affordable

I want it all... to bad you usually only get to pick 3... :D

I'd go with a 7.3 PSD to match my other truck, but it's a little to much motor for a 40... would be fun though... :D

Not sure on the nozzle size that would be determined by the nozzle expert and pump specs. That turbo is one that spools up quick and should have a burst of power way before you are getting it. Does your pump have an Alda valve ? If not that is one thing. It advances the rack for more fuel it is determined by your settings. Yes there are many things to take into consideration. 8mm slugs are just one piece of the puzzle and have to be tuned and adjusted to your needs.

Not sure on the nozzle size that would be determined by the nozzle expert and pump specs. That turbo is one that spools up quick and should have a burst of power way before you are getting it. Does your pump have an Alda valve ? If not that is one thing. It advances the rack for more fuel it is determined by your settings. Yes there are many things to take into consideration. 8mm slugs are just one piece of the puzzle and have to be tuned and adjusted to your needs.
The pump does not have an Alda and the fuel advances on boost witch starts advancing at about 8 psi and will really get down if boosting, its just I'm not racing and by the time it starts boosting my rpm is 3000 and I'm wishing I could have shifted a long time ago. Not wanting compound set up just want a little of both.

x100

Here's my list:
Available
Enough Power
Reliable
Efficient
Bullet proof
Affordable

I want it all... to bad you usually only get to pick 3... :D

I'd go with a 7.3 PSD to match my other truck, but it's a little to much motor for a 40... would be fun though... :D

Would sure have the torque.

If you have things set up right your boost should start at about 1800 with that turbo and have noticeable torque at 2500. Full boost at 3200 and feeling it in your pants. You getting any smoke at full throttle of the line ? How many CC's is the pump set at with those 8 mm slugs. Who set up the pump. Might need more fuel off idle meaning
1500 rpm and that is where it all begins.

Dieselma
If you have things set up right your boost should start at about 1800 with that turbo and have noticeable torque at 2500. Full boost at 3200 and feeling it in your pants. You getting any smoke at full throttle of the line ? How many CC's is the pump set at with those 8 mm slugs. Who set up the pump. Might need more fuel off idle meaning
1500 rpm and that is where it all begins.
Dieselmaken set the pump up and not sure on the cc.

He is the man contact him he is great about solving these kinds of issues I am sure he will come solution. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Sorry I was thinking I needed to put the factory exaust manifold on and get the drive psi on the hx 30 before I contacted him. I have so many unknown things don't want to waste his time. Today I pulled off my adapter plate and ran it to machine shop need 5mm takin off because my crank sencer picks up one min and don't the next. This should put it exact. My computer will shut down power if it doesn't see it within a few seconds. No power no electric fuel pump. I will for sure let you know what is happening. I found an hx35 and getting ether 6cm housing or 9cm exhaust housing for it. I'm thinking for sure one of these will work for me. I will have less than 300 in this set up and if nothing else can sale it get my money back.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom