Builds OL'BETSY ZX: 1991 HZJ77 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to LED-out my truck too.

Which exact Carhart seat covers did you get? Do they sell an actual 70 series option in Canada, or did you get one for a different truck?

I need to LED-out my truck too.

Which exact Carhart seat covers did you get? Do they sell an actual 70 series option in Canada, or did you get one for a different truck?
While we were lucky in northern North America to get the BJ70 for a few years, that was back in the 80's so no aftermarket options exist. No, this was a universal with separate headrest covers. "Carhartt Universal Nylon Duck Canvas Fitted Bucket Seat Covers, Durable Seat Protection with Rain Defender".

I am happy with the white LEDs so I think I'm going to get the red and orange for the tails and indicators as well.

It was a beautiful sunrise as I drove my commute this morn, but actual speed vs reality was fairly optimistic...
PXL_20231121_143150378.jpg

When I got home this evening it was time to finally fix it. My methodology was ummm. Unconventional.
PXL_20231122_003946527.jpg

I drove with GPS telling me actual, then stopped and lowered the resting point a few times until it was within 4 km/h of accurate. Still slightly high, just to keep some optimism. 🤣

Yes I know this is a terrible way to do it but after needle cracked and had to come off for repair it was showing 20 km/h high.

Never ever claimed this thread was a how to. But at least now I can assure you it's a "how NOT to". :rofl:

It was a beautiful sunrise as I drove my commute this morn, but actual speed vs reality was fairly optimistic...
View attachment 3488442

When I got home this evening it was time to finally fix it. My methodology was ummm. Unconventional.
View attachment 3488453
I drove with GPS telling me actual, then stopped and lowered the resting point a few times until it was within 4 km/h of accurate. Still slightly high, just to keep some optimism. 🤣

Yes I know this is a terrible way to do it but after needle cracked and had to come off for repair it was showing 20 km/h high.

Never ever claimed this thread was a how to. But at least now I can assure you it's a "how NOT to". :rofl:
I realize diesel Land Cruisers are rumored to be slow but starting off with a negative number is something new. : )

View attachment 3488442

View attachment 3488453

This is one of the rare but fun unique characteristics of a Land Cruiser. They can tend to take on a personality of their own, sometimes in the strangest of ways. I can recall having similar issues with one of the clusters on one of the BJ42's I owned. After repairing twice, I finally purchased another used cluster for it.

Not saying you will have to do the same, as obviously this is a completely different design. I was confused at first, I thought you were bending the needle to adjust, but then I read further and I remembered you had to fix the needle. I assume you were popping it off, and adjusting it that way? 4km out is better than 20km out!! With my winters on, I am about 5% out (they are only 31" tires) to the positive (at 100, I am only doing 95) and with my 35" on in the summer it is the other way around (at 95 I am actually doing 100). But I can live with this spread and adjust accordingly with the right foot.

Thanks for sharing Phil! :cheers:

I use a simpler method to determine my speed…..
If I’m being passed by a heavily laden log truck ….. I speed up.
If I have more than 10 cars behind me (some of which are making rude gestures with their hands)
….. I speed up.
—————————————————————————
I‘ve yet to find a reason to slow down (considering it takes a lot of effort to get up to speed in the first place). 😊

Last edited:
I realize diesel Land Cruisers are rumored to be slow but starting off with a negative number is something new. : )
Actually, starting with a negative speed makes perfect sense! No wonder I'm the last one off the lights. I have to get to zero first! Genius, Charles. Pure genius.

Well, a few things are on the way for olBetsy. Seems like a while since I've updated here, which maybe is a good thing?

So it's time to do the clutch. It's been time for 3 years really, but given the 1HZ 's rather gentle approach to acceleration, I could probably milk it for another 3 or more. But .. slightly jumpy in reverse, not super smooth off the hop, and some rattles and noise from that area, so I think it's time.

I'm getting an aisin pressure plate and clutch disc. (the disc and other bits are coming from partsouq, but rockauto had the (heavy) pp in stock, so I was able to save some money with a cheaper price/ less shipping for the pressure plate.) Also have a rear main coming, along with tob, input bearing, clip, all the shifter bushes, and boots. And maybe some other things I've forgotten.

Meanwhile, front brakes suddenly started making noise so I now have pads sitting on the bench. Hoping I can get away with just pads for now: Advics as specced for the old 4runner/pickup. I'll post numbers when I get going on it.

Finally, I have a bag of t10 24v bulbs for the couple of burned out dash lights. So a few things coming up for the old girl!

Yesterday I rolled up 280k kms. So really still a young gaffer...

@JDM Journeys …… “but given the 1HZ 's rather gentle approach to acceleration,“
——————————————————————————————————
I had heard that the 1HZ “slowly gathers momentum” but I think I like your description better. 😁

Front pads are now replaced. Sliders got the wire wheel and some fancy purple grease. (Gen2 4runner/pickup pads... Advics: made in Japan)
Having not done brakes on this rig yet, I was happy to see how the calipers worked .. pull clips and pins and slide in and out. No rotating calipers. No mucking about. Love it!
PXL_20231209_223006843.jpg

PXL_20231209_173548764.jpg

Okay. On to the rears...
FJ cruiser rear pads for the win. For the rears I got Bosch (I was in a hurry but they seemed okay). Rear calipers are not as cherry as the fronts so I'll probably end up doing them in the short term.

But even a quick pad change all around has improved the braking fairly dramatically. The old ones were worn, glazed and old. Goodness knows that any extra stopping power on these behemoths is a good thing.

(Edit: apparently my brain put the brakes on since I called "calipers" "rotors" 4 times in one post. Yikes)

Last edited:
Put a diesel heater in the garage a few days ago so winter wrenching will be a little warmer when needed.

Meanwhile, my wife got me awning Wall 1 for Christmas! Had to try it in the garage even though the tent and awning are hanging from the ceiling at the moment. ;)

PXL_20231228_003731306.jpg

And I got wireless android auto to play nice with my Sony headunit so that'll be handy.

Happy New Year all!

Had a new buddy ( @veiloctane ) drive my truck, and he thinks the rattle that I've complained about on and off for a few years is a normal part of the 1HZ "character". He also felt like she had plenty of power and went pretty good! I'm pretty sure that is the first time she's ever been accused of having anything more powerful than asthma, but we'll take it!

I was poking around today after doing an oil change and a new drain plug and washer (thanks @janyyc for the part numbers!) Still need to do the drain/fill plugs and washers on trans/tcase/diffs, but this is a start. Anyways, my outer pulley on the crank pulley assembly has some lateral play, and I'm wondering if it could be contributing to the noise? I put my stethoscope right on it but at idle/not under load it is hard to tell. Hmmm... those suckers are NOT cheap.

And no, I'm not doing the clutch this week. We decided to leave it a bit longer. The rear main is a bit weepy, but not major yet.

Oh, one more thing... I migh have sort of accidentally ordered WALL 2? Oops... This would complete the enclosure. If I in fact do have it on the way? :eek:

31vTlR+9MdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Had a new buddy ( @veiloctane ) drive my truck, and he thinks the rattle that I've complained about on and off for a few years is a normal part of the 1HZ "character". He also felt like she had plenty of power and went pretty good! I'm pretty sure that is the first time she's ever been accused of having anything more powerful than asthma, but we'll take it!

I was poking around today after doing an oil change and a new drain plug and washer (thanks @janyyc for the part numbers!) Still need to do the drain/fill plugs and washers on trans/tcase/diffs, but this is a start. Anyways, my outer pulley on the crank pulley assembly has some lateral play, and I'm wondering if it could be contributing to the noise? I put my stethoscope right on it but at idle/not under load it is hard to tell. Hmmm... those suckers are NOT cheap.

And no, I'm not doing the clutch this week. We decided to leave it a bit longer. the rear main is a bit weepy, but not major yet.

Oh, one more thing... I might've have sort of accidentally ordered WALL 2? Oops... This would complete the enclosure. If I in fact do have it on the way? :eek:

View attachment 3523479

Noise from crank pulley kinda rare unless all the rubber has fully separated but that pulley would look super wobbly. What does the pulley look like? Wasent wobbly when we had it at idle and bring up the revs. I changed mine on the 1hd-t as preventative measurement. Had surface crack but can’t really poke anything in between to confirm separation.

The time you have the oil sump out for the turbo drain is the time to check your BEBs if your worried. Probably can get a feel of it if you push up and down side to side on the on the end caps.

Noise from crank pulley kinda rare unless all the rubber has fully separated but that pulley would look super wobbly. What does the pulley look like? Wasent wobbly when we had it at idle and bring up the revs. I changed mine on the 1hd-t as preventative measurement. Had surface crack but can’t really poke anything in between to confirm separation.

The time you have the oil sump out for the turbo drain is the time to check your BEBs if your worried. Probably can get a feel of it if you push up and down side to side on the on the end caps.
Yeah it's just a little side to side on the a/c part, and some signs of cracking but zero wobble when running so probably not worth spending on yet. Turbo drain? Whatever do you mean Mr. B? :cool:

Photobombing the diesel heater? Yep, that's Olbetsy!
PXL_20231225_232930435.jpg

TURBO IT!!! You have 75% of the parts already.

Temps have dropped into a polar vortex so it was a good time to test the cold start and all the fixes I've done this past year.

Yesterday she sat outside all day (I had to supervise an exam at a remote location). There were no working plugins. But... a single cycle of the glow plugs gave me a perfect start and virtually no smoke. Now that's not to say she wasn't suffering... the tach needle didn't move for five minutes, the egt gauge was flashing all kinds of nonsense and the speedo cable was complaining. But she started on the first go. Pretty good for an old diesel with close to 300k on her!

Today was even colder. So me and olBetsy worked from home.
Screenshot_20240111-170719.png

Last edited:
Temps have dropped into a polar vortex so it was a good time to test the cold start and all the fixes I've done this past year.

Yesterday she sat outside all day (I had to supervise an exam at a remote location). There were no working plugins. But... a single cycle of the glow plugs gave me a perfect start and virtually no smoke. Now that's not to say she wasn't suffering... the tech needle didn't move for five minutes, the egt gauge was flashing all kinds of nonsense and the speedo cable was complaining. But she started on the first go. Pretty good for an old diesel with close to 300k on her!

Today was even colder. So me and olBetsy worked from home.
View attachment 3530681
That’s COLD! 🥶

Last winter I fired mine up a couple of times in the -20 area. I double glowed it and it fired right up. I think 24v spinning everything helps!

The Manitoba Red River Valley is balmy in comparison! Currently -18 and “ Ice crystals”.
IMG_6442.png

We should start a new thread “Why I didn’t work on my 70 today”! 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom