TLCA Official 27th Rubithon Thread, June 23-28th, 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks all for the good times and memories, especially to those who helped spot during the critical moments. My family and I met a bunch of great people from many different places. Thought I would make it through unscathed, but Cadillac got me a couple of souvenirs on the way out! It was a great first-time experience and the wife already has her "list" for next year.

Easier trail to run now I assume?

Yea. Keep thinking that. The phrase of the weekend was "pucker factor".

I saved a roll-over coming off the bridge into the springs with 20 spectators. I dropped the passenger tire off the edge, since I couldn't see it, and no one told me any different. Terrifying and very nearly very embarassing. No pics.

We are eating dinner at Chili's in Carson right now. Should be up there just after 9.
How was the trip out on Cadillac? I soooo appreciated the additional concrete and maintenance that has been done on the trail up there since last year! I remember having to climb up round boulders to just get on top of the concrete to go up the 38 degree angle! :) I tell you the stress put on the drivetrain up those climbs is enormous!

I have not been on the Rubicon since 2009. I heard they filled in rock in many places that used to be difficult? Easier trail to run now I assume?
Yes they have done a lot of trail maintenance. However, I think most would agree that the trail IS NOT easier to complete that in the past. The dirt gets lower and as a result the rocks get bigger to climb over or around. Many a dent were taken home in 2015.... :)

I was pretty happy to get past the pucker factor on Cadillac too, since it was just us and @KT40. We made it without damage or incident, but the P.F. was there, for sure.

Thanks to @Mace and his buddy Tom for excellent spotting on the way in. There were at least two obstacles that I didn't think I could make, but did so without incident, just by following directions.

Thanks to @Marvin, my most excellent FJ40 too. I drove it from home and added 50 miles of USFS dirt between Truckee and Bowman Lake for our Sunday drive. It was about 500 miles and about 11.6mpg avg including Rubicon.

@Bad Coco, I owe you some money. No swag bag, no dinner, no raffle money. :)

Last edited:
Yea. Keep thinking that. The phrase of the weekend was "pucker factor".

I saved a roll-over coming off the bridge into the springs with 20 spectators. I dropped the passenger tire off the edge, since I couldn't see it, and no one told me any different. Terrifying and very nearly very embarassing. No pics.

You dropped BOTH passenger tires off the bridge and had both drivers in the air for a while. I am fully astounded that you did not go plop on that one!!!!

You dropped BOTH passenger tires off the bridge and had both drivers in the air for a while. I am fully astounded that you did not go plop on that one!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen. :) Don't let anyone tell you that Fast Eddy can't drive.

I think it was more of a "panicked step on that floor board thingie" moment personally ;)

Veering to the right to go upstream?????
Blinded my all the camera flashes????
Sounds like trail maintenance needs to shift from Cadillac to the bridge. :)

I like to think there was a crucial steering input as well.

I'd hate to think how the PTSD of such a flop would have affected my trip up Cadillac. :shudder:

Two pics of the scene of the near-tragedy and a video of the same thing happening to a jeep that is probably wider and not as tall as my 40.

DSCN2974.jpg

main.php

Last edited:
I like to think there was a crucial steering input as well.

I'd hate to think how the PTSD of such a flop would have affected my trip up Cadillac. :shudder:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :steer:

How was the trip out on Cadillac? I soooo appreciated the additional concrete and maintenance that has been done on the trail up there since last year! I remember having to climb up round boulders to just get on top of the concrete to go up the 38 degree angle! :) I tell you the stress put on the drivetrain up those climbs is enormous!

The first section of Cadillac was noticeably smoother and less off camber compared to last year, but there was another section further up that was definitely still scary! I think that is where a few people picked up some body damage....I'm guessing your third member stayed attached to the rear axle on the way out?

Perfect weather, great people and good times had by all. Definitely another Rubithon to remember! Rick did an outstanding job leading the wagon run and everyone who helped with spotting kept us moving and our body panels intact. (thanks Andy, Tom, Alvaro, Brock, and others for spotting). The swimming at the springs was also pretty epic this year thanks to the warm temps.. I lost count of the number of times I went off the rope swing. Thank you to all that make this event what it is! Can't wait for next year.

Thanks all for the good times and memories, especially to those who helped spot during the critical moments. My family and I met a bunch of great people from many different places. Thought I would make it through unscathed, but Cadillac got me a couple of souvenirs on the way out! It was a great first-time experience and the wife already has her "list" for next year.

I thought I saw a dent on your rear 1/4 at the pavement. Cadillac was hard this year..Souvenir is the right word!

This was literally as soon as my tires touched the granite behind the damn Thursday @ 10:00am! Had a spare birf but destroyed the axle seal and did not have a spare. Waited all day until Ron from Custom Cruisers FJ40 had one. Thanks again Ron! Ended up going in on Friday @ 7:00am. Worked out well! Bunch of great guys!

image.jpg

Veering to the right to go upstream?????
Blinded my all the camera flashes????
Sounds like trail maintenance needs to shift from Cadillac to the bridge. :)
Good call Redding, Jamboree project this year is to work on the approaches. Also thank your wife for teaching me so much about pouring wine! I only know the difference about how thick the head should be of a stout vs. a lager. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Lots of fun, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom