Odd pulsating squeaking sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would anyone be able to identify this rubbery-like pulsating squeaking sound? Comes from the front of the car, only when cold, can be heard inside and outside, and seems to somewhat be connected to engine revs. Goes away when car warms up.

Thanks!

Have tried pulling the drive belts to see if goes away?

All above plus, a quick test to see if the noise is coming from the belts is to spray water directly at the belts while standing in front of the vehicle. If the noise goes away for a couple of seconds then comes back you have your answer.

Tips: stand back or you'll get a shower. Don't spray water on the distributor because there are a couple of breather holes where water could get inside, or directly into the alternator (realistically little if any will get in when it's spinning). You can use a garden hose, aim it toward the crank pulley (largest pulley lower front/center of engine) Be careful not to put your hand or the hose into the fan blade, it becomes invisible when spinning.

Check your idler pulleys, too. Since you haven't ID'ed the year or engine (gas or diesel), can only suggest the 1FZ has 2 idler pulleys. One on the twin belts (US driver's side) and one on the AC belt.
Ah good point, forgot to say: it’s a carb 1FZ (1994) and both idler pulleys have been replaced as well.

Okay. Sprayed water somewhat liberally on the belts and pulleys but no change.

I feel like if I stand at the drivers side (US) and look at the engine from the front fender, it’s almost as if the noise is coming from the right side - towards the firewall. Is there even anything that pulsates in a pattern like this there?

IMG_5805.jpeg

A mechanics stethoscope might help you narrow down the source of the noise.

A mechanics stethoscope might help you narrow down the source of the noise.

I guess I have to try that as the next step. Was hoping someone might be like "oh yeah I've heard that before, it's XYZ", but I guess the belts were the only possible suspect there.

If the belts are not OEM (or don't have the correct angle for the grooves in the pulleys), or if they've been over-tightened, they can make a repeating
squeak-squawk-type noise.

Can you get another video/sound clip from above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom