North Rim/Jacob Lake July Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20160725_145258.jpg
20160724_150952.jpg

Great ROTM, everybody! From the drive up with Rudster and Verruckt on Friday morning, through to the departure on Monday - great trail options and things to see and do for the entire weekend.

The ability to see Happy Point (*and turn back early to get a nap in), along with the Lodge at the North Rim (with rain and occasional light hail) made for cool weather when we knew it was 114F in Phoenix. Looking over Jason's shoulder gave me a quick look at the general location of our campsite for the weekend, but I still managed to miss both turn-off's on the way South toward the National Park:
wtg1aw.jpg

Seems like we made quite a few stops at Jacob's Lake for gas or as a staging point heading down to the North Rim or around the general area. Some bought cookies in bulk for family back in Phoenix, and they have a great 'Bull & Onion' sandwich, but be sure to leave enough time for them to kill the bull and grow the onions:
5f0s44.jpg

*Note new Trasheroo, which was used extensively after my last one bit the dust.

Here's the view from the North Rim Lodge, built in 1913 and rebuilt sometime later on. One of our campers said this is one of her most favorite places in Arizona, and I can see why when you spend a few minutes staring out into the canyon from the comfort of a leather easy chair:
23shwjo.jpg

The 'Scottle' got used a few times (here for beef, later for Fried Rice), and I think Steve liked the challenge of trying to get good results:
34pz5v8.jpg

(cont.)

Last edited:
The view from the North Rim walking path, showing some of the storms which seemed to drift in throughout the weekend;
3013vaq.jpg

Here's the FREE, LIMITED EDITION souvenir which CJ and I collected by parking at the North Rim Visitor Center (apparently where we shouldn't have...):
29asdiv.jpg

And lastly, a picture of @Saddletramp and his camp trailer on the way to Lee's Ferry headed home;
zxld0j.jpg

My wife thanked me for taking her along when we got home - which is a testament to the fun she had on the trail. She's not the best at bumping around in the LandCruiser, but was a trooper for the weekend, and we both agreed that 3 nights is about our limit for tent camping anymore.

Special thanks to Jason and Erin as ROTM organizers, and to everyone else who provided great company. The movies under the stars were a big hit with everyone, and Alvis even scored a new set of tires for his ride especially for this run! On that note, Mark - don't forget to replace your passenger side front body mount lock nut; I happen to know that it's a 14mm flange nut, which are hard to locate when you really, really need a spare one.

Last edited:
I will write up a trip report once I am sober enough to do so, headed in for surgery in about an hour. Was definitely a good weekend to finish off the rest of my summer with 2 useful arms.

I will write up a trip report once I am sober enough to do so, headed in for surgery in about an hour. Was definitely a good weekend to finish off the rest of my summer with 2 useful arms.
Good luck Jason with your surgery! Youll be swinging for the fences by the time the weather cools off!

Looks like a great trip. Some of the pics look like the drive out to Point Sublime. That is a great place to camp. You just have to plan in advanced to pull the permit.

Man these pics make me wish I could've stayed all weekend. Thanks for organizing such a great trip!

Thanks for the great pics. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Jason, glad your surgery went well and hope rehab doesn't take too long.

That is such an awesome area! Looks like a great trip. This pic looks like it could've been taken on Last Dollar.

20160723_135854-jpg.1297718

Thank you all for making this such an enjoyable trip! We don't often take on multiple days as a group, and everyone went above and beyond to make our weekend successful :cheers:
Jason is home and fairly comfortable still. ..good meds. Our writeup coming soon:D
Glad to hear he is through the surgery & resting well. Thankful for the guy!

Wish I could have made it. Heading up this weekend for a short trip, hope to have as much fun as you guys did!

I finally had some time to sit down to find the exact spot where we camped. Posting it here in case anyone wants to go back :) (I do!)

Google Maps

Also, I called the nice folks at the

North Kaibab Ranger District
430 South Main Street
PO Box 248
Fredonia, AZ 86022
(928) 643-7395
Fax: (928) 643-8105

and I asked them for the North Kaibab Ranger District Kaibab National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map (same one in several previous posts that shows the forest service roads) and 2 days later the MVUM showed up in my mailbox. No charge for that.

We should do this again next year !!

upload_2016-8-13_16-12-18.png

@Saddletramp when do you guys think you might go? I regretfully missed the last trip and would love to get a day or two in up there before it gets chilly. Any plans? You, me @verruckt1 and ???

There was some discussion at the monthly meeting this evening about a trip back up there in late Oct before the snow sets in. Sound enticing?
if you all have time and willingness to do so, check out the backhaul service on the Colorado up to Glen Canyon Dam from Lees Ferry, Matt and I went Fri/Sat last weekend and it was way cool. we took our kayak and rented another and camped overnight along the river. it was pretty hot Friday but much better in the morning on the way out Saturday. its a 6 hour/15 mi 'float' with only about 3 miles total of mandatory paddling off and on throughout the 15 mi. We will do it again some day but maybe closer to October before they shut the service down for the season. Something to look into if anyone goes all the way up there. Its worth it, so beautiful and quiet! Great pic taking ops for those photographers in the group;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom