No Service Records = Red Flag? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The thing with buying a used vehicle is that you don't know if it's truly a good deal for at least a couple years of trouble free driving.

Since it's somewhat on topic, here's a "what if" scenario for folks to consider.

I'm currently looking for a 2013 to 2015 LX with under 100k miles. Like the OP, I'm very particular on color since my 100 is still going strong and I'm not in any dire need to purchase soon.

I found a one owner 2015 with 105k miles and an impeccable service history. As in, the service history is almost too good. It has over 50+ entries in the Lexus owners site and they are all from the dealer that sold the vehicle when it was new. All maintenance is up to date but what worries me is that both bumpers have been replaced at different times, one front fender might have been replaced or maybe repaired, and the windshield has been replaced 2 or 3 times. Rims aren't awful but definitely have a lot of rash on them. No damage history on Carfax, all the work was performed by the selling dealer. Numerous entries of getting it detailed to make sure it was spotless.

So I'm asking myself, was this LX just a city rig with an owner that was OCD about scratches and gave the dealer an open checkbook? Or was he / she rough on the equipment but wanted it to look pretty and I'm going to end up replacing a lot of parts prematurely? Is it worth the 1 owner with full dealership maintenance premium price?

Okay, so maybe it isn't completely on topic. But it does go along with the idea of what things can be overlooked and what things shouldn't be.
I think, "I'd buy that."

If it was just the bumpers, and even minor fender stuff, I think it is an OCD owner who is embarrassed about that type of damage when driving up to the restaurant valet. I just want a blank slate, a preferred color combo, no nav, and a semblance of records. So you may have exactly what you want staring you in the face.

To me, the LC has to feel right, which for whatever reason, the '98 to '02 without integral screen and nav, work best. If it has a gray interior and no faux wood, even better.

I don't know. I have every record for my '98 and '03 still, and I don't have either truck any more.

I kind of think the opposite of where you are coming from. These were/are Toyota's most expensive vehicle ever produced, and so figure most people at that price point had them dealer serviced, at least for the first 3 to 5 years of ownership, and then maybe started going to Jiffy Lube type places for oil changes, and local shops for tires, etc. Then they might circle back to the dealer for big things like timing belt/water pump, and suspension issues.

I think that if I am looking at an LC with 240,000 miles, it would be nice to know that it had the timing belt done between 90k and 130k, and then again at 230k, to somewhat establish that it had been cared for. If it were owner done, then at least a spreadsheet to establish milestones.

I think my take away from the people that responded, it is not a red flag to not have personal records, or a CarFax history that shows servicing (but it would certainly help).
I agree it's a plus. My response was to the red flag statement. I think you'd be crazy run from a cruiser because of lack of service records

If it was just the bumpers, and even minor fender stuff, I think it is an OCD owner who is embarrassed about that type of damage when driving up to the restaurant valet. I just want a blank slate, a preferred color combo, no nav, and a semblance of records. So you may have exactly what you want staring you in the face.

To me, the LC has to feel right, which for whatever reason, the '98 to '02 without integral screen and nav, work best. If it has a gray interior and no faux wood, even better.
For what you're looking for, I'd go with my preferred color if it's in good condition and priced accordingly. 160k miles for a 20 year old vehicle is pretty low mileage making a bit harder to find. Rust is a never ending battle so rust free is a big plus. As for maintenance, it can all be brought up to date relatively easily. It doesn't matter how many times the TB / WP were replaced as long as it was done recently. Point being, buy it for the right price and spend some money getting all the past due stuff caught up and you'll be good to go.

Love the topic though. We all have our check boxes and some are non-negotiable while others are flexible if other things make up for it. I want under 100k but will go up a bit if it's well maintained. However, I can't do light tan interior, it's a non-negotiable. It took me a couple months to find my 100 back in 2018. A white exterior wasn't my first choice but I was fine with it since it had gray interior, no fake wood, one owner, and a decent maintenance history.

Having dealer service history is a plus. But if I were to buy another Hundy, I would much prefer buying from one of the DIY expert owners on this forum, or a truck with major work/upgrades done by one of the highly recommended indie shops/gurus on this forum. Their work quality, knowledge and attention to detail are amazing, way better than any Toyota/Lexus dealer can ever achieve. They are 100-series scientists 😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom