Fan Hub Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Does anyone know the correct quantity of silicone fluid required to correctly service a viscous fan hub? Or the method to ensure the level is correct?

I've heard:
  • 2 bottles,
  • 3 bottles,
  • lay it flat and fill the reservoir half to the brim, and
  • hold the reservoir half vertical and the fluid should sit at the bottom of the centre hole........
I don't want to overfill and have the hub locked up unnecessarily.

Last edited:
i think the only sure fire method would be to carefully measure what comes out of the old one. I serviced mine in my 80 series many years ago, i remember putting it in the oven for a few minutes to get the oil heated up, and it came out easily. i dont remember how much I used

i think the only sure fire method would be to carefully measure what comes out of the old one. I serviced mine in my 80 series many years ago, i remember putting it in the oven for a few minutes to get the oil heated up, and it came out easily. i dont remember how much I used
Thanks mate.
Two things though:
1. Shouldn't the fluid become more viscous at higher temps (to add resistance within the hub at high coolant temps)?
2. The only reason I'd be replenishing the hub would be if I suspected the fluid was depleted, therefore I couldn't rely on the existing quantity as a guide.

Here is a great video about the fluid action inside the fan clutch.

OK, so it's not the fluid viscosity at rest that provides the 'friction' to lock the clutch but rather the "unique non-newtonian shearing characteristic of the silicone fluid." Got it!👍

But still looks to be quite experimental in determining how much fluid I need. It seems the fluid breaks down rather than leaks out so measuring the existing fluid quantity looks to be the best method.

Mine is an Aussie-spec FTE and Toyota only list the one fluid for the hub (10,000cst?). When I requested the quote Toyota quoted 2 tubes, so 36ml total. I think I'll just do some more testing of the fan at operating temp to confirm it's locking up before I think about opening it up. The car is getting a new waterpump, radiator, all hoses and thermostat as a half-million KM birthday present.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom