New to the FJ60 world, come share my pain (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok well I will give kind of a quickie update. I wanted to wait until I had more information to write about but hey, I'm bored. I had called Georg (orangefj45) ABSOLUTELY FREAKING FANTASTIC GUY! Georg has been trying to think of different ways of getting this beast to me or to him. He is coming out basically to my house this weekend and WOULD HAVE picked it up and dropped it off but he was already towing another vehicle. If he was doing the repairs and it was ready in time, he was going to have one of his guys drive when they caravan'd down.

Of course none of those can happen.

I had FEDEX'd the key to Toyota so that they would hang onto the truck and not have it towed...to someplace worse than Merced. I called up good ole' AAA. And I have PLUS so that means I get to get towed 100 miles. PLENTY to get to Stockton to Georg's shop.

Except...

I HAVE TO EITHER BE AT THE DEALERSHIP OR GEORG'S SHOP TO SIGN FOR IT!!!!!!!!

They would not budge. I'm FUQ'D!!!

So basically today was spent begging and pleading with different tow companies. Nope. The one that AAA uses wanted to charge me $600 bones. Screw that noise. Time to call the previous owner Zach. Ball is in his court. He gets to figure out how to get it to Georg's shop.

So we'll see what happens next. Stay tuned.

Wow! What a story!

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rough time, but I have to tell you that I enjoyed reading your writing! You should be an author or writer; you have a great knack for story telling!

I hope it all comes out okay in the end and that you successfully give this '60 a new lease on life! :steer:

Good luck!

Hehe, thanks. I would love to as I have millions of things floating in my head. There is just one problem...oh look a kitty...

I have wicked ADD

.....and OCD :p
And neither are complementary to the other and each I have when its not convenient.

:bang:

I HAVE TO EITHER BE AT THE DEALERSHIP OR GEORG'S SHOP TO SIGN FOR IT!!!!!!!!

They would not budge. I'm FUQ'D!!!

So basically today was spent begging and pleading with different tow companies. Nope. The one that AAA uses wanted to charge me $600 bones. Screw that noise. Time to call the previous owner Zach. Ball is in his court. He gets to figure out how to get it to Georg's shop.

So we'll see what happens next. Stay tuned.

blast it. I just headed home from shaver lake on sunday with the flowerstroke, and home from there requires a drive through stockton.

Well, hope it works out. Good luck, and keep us posted.

dude great story i had 2 cruiser puchase stories as a broke college almost similar to what you've been through but fortuneately the 60 never let me down.

first i picked up and drove a 60 from NH to Nebraska with a broken water pump/ bad fan clutch and bad radiator the temp waz spikin all the way to this day i cannot believe i even considered driving it that far with all that worry and all those starts and stops to rest it before it toasts the engine!

the second cruiser is below...

ur story brings back memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just to give some insight. the second cruiser i purchased i bought for 1000 and i had to give him my 84 cressida. drove the cressida (dam good 400 dollar car) alone from nebraska to louisiana no problems whatsoever had a helluva hard time finding the owner's place (somewhere in the sticks of parish or whatever louisisana) including driving on forest / swamp roads in total darkness....at that time gps/navigation/tomtom was not in my possession (1999) i had to ask directions and this brotha living out of a small house obliged...i thought im gonna meet jason from friday the 13th!!!so this dude turned out to be a good fella told me he knew the owners address and then i saw the beast. it looked like what i imagined...poo brown...almost looked like a dog...i loved the way it looked. started to drive it from louisiana all the way to nebraska, not overheating probs b/c the p/o rebuilt the top end of the head but it was totally rust out (the frame with holes) and the brake master cylinder was toast and leaked profusely. but as a broke college student i still had the nerve to drive it back with little to no brakes!!!! i had to be a careful driver and anticipated the traffic early or else i would crash to oncoming traffic.

all this for the love of the 60. in the present day i highly doubt i will pull that stunt again. put it this way you will have a story to tell about the 60.

oh what a feeling!:bounce2::bounce::popcorn::ban:

Last edited:
blast it. I just headed home from shaver lake on sunday with the flowerstroke, and home from there requires a drive through stockton.

Well, hope it works out. Good luck, and keep us posted.

DUDE!

sad panda :(

well, the rig showed up at my shop over the weekend while i was in socal for gene's "project phoenix FJ35 resurection" (which was a blast btw).
i tore into the rig today after meeting with joey and his wife. the previous owner definetly did'nt give a sh*t about the cruiser and treated it accordingly. luckily the 60 now has a new home.
there's lots of neglect, very little in the way of maintenance having been performed and only one "major" issue; a bad clutch.

but it's not what you're thinking.

i'll post some pics tomorrow for everybody's entertainment. i'm sure there'll be some "oh, wow" thoughts going on..................:lol:

Bad clutch? Go Centerforce...

Bad clutch? Go Centerforce...

I don't have huge horsepower and I'm not really hard on the clutch. After talking extensively with Georg about this we pretty much agreed to go with a Luk clutch. If I decide to so the Vortech swap (George is going to get me some #s) AND a big lift then I would go CF.

it was'nt an issue caused by the clutch itself. i'll keep you guesing for now though.

fwiw, i am not a big fan of CF clutches, not at all. i spent 12 years of my professional life in the transmission industrie and have yet to see a CF clutch outlast an OEM clutch in a semi-stock and street driven vehicle. so i won't install them.
but i have installed and sold literally hundrets of LUK clutches with great success. i also run them in my own rigs and in all my conversions requiring a new clutch.
this particular 60 series has a LUk clutch in it:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/125194-fj62-out-auto-crawler.html

and so does another 60 i just finished a couple of weeks ago. it has a 5.7 vortec, NV4500 and orion HD in it........

my orange fj45LV also had a LUK clutch, so does my 07 dodge diesel tow-rig, any corvette,....and millions of other cars. and they all hold up very well.

don't get me wrong, CF clutches do have their place but it's not in a DD. they're designed for high performance, high torque load and high apply pressure applications. but if it were me looking to install a high performance clutch, i'd run a LUK "pro gold series" kit.

enough said. :)

Good story. My guess was the shift seat if not the clutch :) Good choice on taking it to Valley Hybrids with Georg. Nice to meet you at Rubithon Georg. Thanks for the help on the trail.

Good story. My guess was the shift seat if not the clutch :) Good choice on taking it to Valley Hybrids with Georg. Nice to meet you at Rubithon Georg. Thanks for the help on the trail.

anytime bud! :beer:

but your guess is incorrect! ;p

alright, here's the first clue:
IM000391.JPG

sorry about the crappy pic.....

btw; i know for a fact that Dboz and calicruiser take great care of their rigs. i know both of them and have seen/worked on their cruisers. :beer:

here are a couple more pics of the cruiser the way it looks right now. well, the roof rack anyways.....
IM000392.JPG
IM000393.JPG

I didn't notice it until right now...but the stupid rack mounts don't even go over the pillars!!!!!!!!

Still waiting for the go ahead from the "accountant" to do up the rack. But I think moving the mounts is important. I am also thinking about adding in a bar to go across it to hold in some fuel/water cans. I'm also thinking about driving lights. Ugh.

thought you got a freebie with the rig, huh?! LOL :lol:

i liked her already when i met her at the shop but this confirms it........:grinpimp:

ok, enouigh of that. here's the next "fuzzy" clue.........
IM000384.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom