New to the FJ60 world, come share my pain (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got off the phone with Georg. It was hard to figure out who it was at first through all the laughing. Looks like my situation may be working out. Georg is an awesome guy indeed!!!! I shall update as they come in.

One thing I learned with my 60 - things are not always as they seem. I love the truck, just not PO's. They did not love the truck:mad:

yeah its pretty evident that this one was relegated to high school transportation for several people. Its fine. It will soon be getting the love it richly deserves for all of its devoted service.

I would never take the truck to the dealer... and sounds like the clutch master and or the slave are shot. I just replaced both today on my 60. $38.00 for the MC and $15.00 for the slave, not bad at all (both Japanese!!):D

I would never take the truck to the dealer... and sounds like the clutch master and or the slave are shot. I just replaced both today on my 60. $38.00 for the MC and $15.00 for the slave, not bad at all (both Japanese!!):D

Yeah well. Thursday July 3rd at 9:45PM. I couldn't just leave it on the street.

Like others here, I would have said clutch slave or master as that has happened to me on two different 60's.
However, if it was anything to do with the clutch, you should still be able to push or roll the truck if it is in neutral and park brake off.

I can't help but wonder if the gearbox is locked up from having low or maybe no oil? :hmm:

Safe Harbor

From the description of the area, any safe harbor, you may have saved your tail pipe!!!:D:cheers:

Well

Well welcome to the 60 culdesac of this forum anyhoo. I saw you asking Kevin about tailgate storage, at least you can get one for this rig right away! The best stories have happy endings and crazy beginnings

Yeah I will be getting tailgate storage for this thing too although it will be a little further down the list of mods. I will need to baseline first and see what needs to be repaired/replaced. Still patiently waiting for my 80 lid. I don't have a bunch of time to do anything still for the next few weeks but I have plenty of plans ;)

yeah its pretty evident that this one was relegated to high school transportation for several people. Its fine. It will soon be getting the love it richly deserves for all of its devoted service.

Well, I can't speak for any other "High Schooler's" execpt my own, and I can assure you that during the period of time that we owned it: It was loved, and maintained like any of the cruiser's that I (we) haved owned over the last 30 years. I sold it over 4 years ago minus the roof rack, crunched front end, or any other mods that it may have now. It was bone stock in excellent condition. Am I even considered the PO at this point?

DBOZ40, umm are you saying you are one of the PO's of this great white beast?

I actually did, two locals. In fact one of the locals was the previous owner of the truck. :bang:

I would mention again, like in my previous post that (calicruiser) was "a" previous owner, and not "the" previous owner. It almost seems like you are more irritated with the two locals, than the guy or guy's mom that you handed over your cash to.:bang:

Running total cost on 450 Dude and Calicruiser trying to help a fellow mudder. 4 gallons of gas @ $4.55 a gallon ($18.20)

No no no, not at all. 450DUDE and CALI totally helped out. Don't blame them at all. I was just banging my head at the irony of it. That's all. I'm not going to be irritated with anyone until it comes time to get irritated.

Realize too that they were going to see the vehicle because there was a few people that were interested in the truck. It wasn't specifically for me. And 450DUDE happens to live RIGHT across the street from the where the truck was parked so not sure there was 4 gallons of anything involved. :p

Last edited:
wow, sorry to hear that. I was curious about that thread.... now I know. Good luck w/the re-love on the rig.

Wow! What a story!

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rough time, but I have to tell you that I enjoyed reading your writing! You should be an author or writer; you have a great knack for story telling!

I hope it all comes out okay in the end and that you successfully give this '60 a new lease on life! :steer:

Good luck!

speaking of High schoolers, that's how I got my Sept rig.

Lady got rig from her grandpa, let the kid drive it, didn't want to pay to have the clutch etc fixed, sold it to my shop for $800. (I woulda bought it, wanted the shop owner to have a reason to learn more about FJ60's, not on my dime). So the grandpa & lady were good to it, high school kid didn't take care of it. It happens.

FWIW, I just paid $500 to get the AC running. Forgot to ask if it worked before I bought it from the shop... damn. But they know how to tweak 'em to pass emissions now!

What sucks is I could replace all of this myself but I couldn't take a bag of tools on the plane so I had nothing in the truck.

A-ha! I knew the TSA would be to blame. They are the root of all transportation evils. They still owe me a computer screen for my laptop, those jerkys! I think they cause cancer in laboratory animals too. ;)

My 60 has issues too and I like it equally to my 80. They just don't make em like that any more. Enjoy!

A couple of things. First of all, Ione isn't THAT far out in the middle of nowhere. You need to head up country a little farther before the banjos start a-duelin. Second of all, if you (or anyone) is headed to go pick up a beast that has evidence of neglect in its recent ownership OR it's an expensive tow all the way home at $8 a mile or whatever it is, it's never a bad idea to get a few phone numbers from mudders with chain or at least a friendly driveway if need be. The odds of finding someone with specialized enough knowledge to deal with these monstrocities on a weekend are slim to none, and a dealer, IF they can find someone who remembers what a carb looks like, will charge through the nose for diagnosis, on top of the repairs.

I've done a few hairbrained "hey, let's go get a car with a one way ticket" in my day, and while they're a lot of fun and make for great stories (like taking a rental impala down a county road that was graded dirt to go get my 60 that had been left parked ten miles from nowhere on a friend of the seller's ranch, someone remind me to tell that sometime I don't want to hijack this), they tend to work out a little better with a little planning up front. Besides, I apparently enjoy being punished and abused. You should see the fleet. :rolleyes:

So what's the verdict on this thing? What ended up being the problem? Did it head north on meth highway from merced to stockton, or was there a recon mission from LA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom