New shock choices (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really didn't want to start a new thread about a topic that seems like it has been :deadhorse: but I can't quite get the insight I need from the existing threads, between outdated info, various suspension setups and AHC vs conventional.

As the title says I am trying to choose new shocks for my 100 LC. I have OME now and they have probably 70k on them and have been OK, but I have never really loved them as they are functional but harsh riding. I realize that I am not doing myself any favors with extra heavy springs in the rear and OME torsion bars, as well as about 100# per corner of E rated tires, but I do think I can do a bit better than what is on there now.

The truck is lifted about 2.5" and has a lot of extra weight in armor, bumpers roof rack and drawers etc, fully kitted for remote exploration it's close to 7,000#. I am in the northeast, so I actually do most of my offroad driving at lower speed and clamoring over rocks and trees (some washboard fire roads, but not like Big Bend or something) so I would guess fade resistance is a little less of a concern for me. I do want less body roll and comfort for on road overall.

I am looking at the Dobinsons, the Bilstein 5160 remote reservoir etc. I'd like to stay in that $300 a corner range, and don't really think that I want ones that need to be rebuilt regularly. I know opinions are rampant and there is a lot of confirmation bias to whatever people have, but are there really better ones than others for my use case? TIA

Thanks for posting, we're in very similar situation and I am curious to see the responses.

PO installed Fox Performance Series 2.0's on mine and I've been very happy with them.
The people I've asked say they are generally equivalent to the most recent OME offering.
(Nitrochargers) They are not remote reservoirs.

Body roll was very controlled (includes extended swaybar links) and that dynamic was
negatively effected a little when the 178lb. rooftop tent went on.

Last edited:
PO installed Fox Performance Series 2.0's on mine and I've been very happy with them.
The people I've asked say they are generally equivalent to the most recent OME offering.
(Nitrochargers) They are not remote reservoirs.

Body roll was very controlled (includes extended swayer links) and that dynamic was
negatively effected a little when the 178lb. rooftop tent went on.
Appreciate this. I looked at Fox stuff, primarily because I always felt they were the best on my mountain bikes, but there aren't a lot of lighter modded trucks running them it felt like.

Appreciate this. I looked at Fox stuff, primarily because I always felt they were the best on my mountain bikes, but there aren't a lot of lighter modded trucks running them it felt like.
It's been my observation that they are more popular with the Taco crowd, but that might just be "brand recognition" based.

I have a bias opinion on FOX, but I love mine. And was able to cross reference some part numbers to make some Tundra rear remote reservoirs work for mine!
Was that only for the rears? It is odd we can't get the 2.0 resi

Was that only for the rears? It is odd we can't get the 2.0 resi
Yeah, only the rears. Coil overs up front for that application. I’m sure I could have spent more time looking and possibly found something, but we had the 100 fronts on the shelf at that moment. I’m not sure why they didn’t do anything up front with a reservoir. I wish we did though!

Running Dobinson extended IMS in the front and ICONS 2.0 in the rear. Front is really a great ride and I am at a similar lift in the front with diff drop and 35s, bumper/winch. No front sway bar and the shocks really help with body roll. The biggest difference is offroad though. The soak up the bumps so smoothly. Rear IMS would be a great choice as well but they do not offer an extended IMS shock for the rear. You have to step up to the reservoirs to get any extended lengths.

side note - is there a comprehensive post with shock lengths or outlining which are truly extended length?

I am considering the Dobinsons IMS for the front for this reason amongst others but would love to know which options are truly longer than stock

Running Dobinson extended IMS in the front and ICONS 2.0 in the rear. Front is really a great ride and I am at a similar lift in the front with diff drop and 35s, bumper/winch. No front sway bar and the shocks really help with body roll. The biggest difference is offroad though. The soak up the bumps so smoothly. Rear IMS would be a great choice as well but they do not offer an extended IMS shock for the rear. You have to step up to the reservoirs to get any extended lengths.
I appreciate this reply. Even with the reservoir rears, they actually don't say extended length, like the IMS. I wonder if I could go Dobinsons front and the reservoir Bilstein 5160s in the rear. I kind of don't want the rebuildable Icons (unless that has changed?).

side note - is there a comprehensive post with shock lengths or outlining which are truly extended length?

I am considering the Dobinsons IMS for the front for this reason amongst others but would love to know which options are truly longer than stock
It's a good point, I struggled to find the comprehensive info I wanted, and a lot of it is several years old and stuff changes or new stuff comes out all the time, and people's preferences and impressions of each are so subjective.

I appreciate this reply. Even with the reservoir rears, they actually don't say extended length, like the IMS. I wonder if I could go Dobinsons front and the reservoir Bilstein 5160s in the rear. I kind of don't want the rebuildable Icons (unless that has changed?).
Here are some measurements for the rears.. Just went wheeling and there is definitely a lot more articulation with an inch and a half more extension in the rear. Also this was me trying to get more articulation in the rear. Just because more articulation does not mean they will ride nicer but I think the OME ride like crap compared to the icons and on paper all other options listed are nicer than the icons.

icons for 2.5 inch lift - what im running but not sure product id
C - 15.85
E - 25.67
Icons for 4-6inch lift - 56512
C - 16.85
E - 27.42
OME 63002 OME Nitrocharger Plus
C - 14.6
E - 24.2
Bilstein B8 5160
C - 14.5
E - 23.72
MRA59-A687 - Rear 4" Shocks - 80 series may have to mess w bushings.
C - 16.14
E - 26.38

IMG_0312.jpeg

I believe you should be able to run the IMS59-60687 IMS shocks to act as an extended length version. I haven't done this yet though, i'm in the same place as you with only the fronts done rn. IMS59-60687 Ext : 26.77 Comp : 16.57 Stroke : 10.2.

I believe you should be able to run the IMS59-60687 IMS shocks to act as an extended length version. I haven't done this yet though, i'm in the same place as you with only the fronts done rn. IMS59-60687 Ext : 26.77 Comp : 16.57 Stroke : 10.2.
This would be a great option! Thanks for this

I am strongly considering the Dobinson IMS extended in the front and the 5160s (extended) in the rear. Is anyone interested in weighing in on this combination?

I am strongly considering the Dobinson IMS extended in the front and the 5160s (extended) in the rear. Is anyone interested in weighing in on this combination?
I don't have any experience besides the IMS on the front of my truck, but I do wonder if having progressive front shocks and digressive rear shocks might feel a little weird if they are dramatically different.

Reactions: jLB
confirmation bias
:)

Our previous LC100 was upgraded and lifted ~50mm (2") for offroad and high speed washboard roads, so slightly different use case to yours. Recommendations generally were Dobinsons or Ironman Foam Cell Pro for damping and fade resistance, and (almost exclusively) Dobinsons for steel (springs and torsion bars). By offroad we're talking low range crawling and water over bonnet stuff up in Cape York etc - so not a tarmac baby...

In the end we went with the Dobinsons steel and Foam Cell Pro shock absorbers. We (I include Mrs w in this) noted the firmer ride over stock, however no harshness or fatigue during our ~70,000 kms with that setup. We drove from Brisbane to Thargominda (nearly 1,000km) in one day and would happily do it again with that setup.

Of course now we have an LX with AHC - and I'm absolutely not going there comparison wise 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom