New Headlights installed for 2008 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why do the old headlights need polishing all the time?
Because they are plastic. :( Most 100 Series headlights are glass. I think they switched to plastic somewhere in the mid 2000s, in different years for LC and LX.

I haven't done any 200s personally, but do have the headlights covered by the xpel film. It's cut in a way that covers most of the lens (2016+) high impact areas and the cuts offer relief without weird distortions in the film. I'd be willing to try the application process if something happens to my film that's currently in place.
I tried to do the XPel on my 2016-21 headlights and it was very difficult.
I ended up taking mine to a shop and having the whole front covered in Xpel.

Looks like a brand new truck now!!

Anyone do the fog lights? Am I reading this correctly that you have to glue them in?
There is a bracket glued to the skin which attaches to fogs with a couple bolts. - on 08. As long as your “glue” is still attached to the skin you are good .

Adhesive or missing hardware could be the reason for the light assembly pushing in. The fog lights have a reflector on the inside that moves independently of the outer housing. You can reach the three bolts/nuts that secure the fog light assembly from below as if you were adjusting the beam angle. My arm barely fit but you can find each of the three attach points and make sure that they are not missing. I would start on the right side because there is more access and you can see what you are looking for then the left side can be checked by feel, or just pull the bumper skin off, again...

The PO buggered the adjustment screw so the left side fog light was pointing at the ground 10 feet out and would not go up. They adjusted the right side to match the left.

Can anyone link the Xpel they are using? Film, spray, etc?
Assuming 2019 for just headlights and fogs:

Once you go to the Xpel site, you can put in your model/year to get the correct film kit. Up to you for the slip mixture/activating spray (fancy way of saying diluted rubbing alcohol and another bottle of distilled water with some dawn dish soap) and a solid plastic straight edge squeegee tool of your choosing (some thick credit cards can work if you don't want to buy a dedicated one).

How come? Seems like it would seal the lights and once the film starts yellowing in 10 years it could just be peeled off and new film reapplied. Or am I missing something?
I've seen PPF last longer than 10 yrs without yellowing. But I guess different climates, UV exposures, etc could change this timeline.

I've seen PPF last longer than 10 yrs without yellowing. But I guess different climates, UV exposures, etc could change this timeline.
Yeah I just threw the number out there. I drive my LC about ~1k miles a year and otherwise its garaged in climate controlled space. But even if the PPF needs to be replaced more often, that wouldn't be an issue to me so long as it's quick and easy to install.. and most importantly, provides protection and looks unnoticeable installed.

Last edited:
Yeah I just threw the number out there. I drive my LC about ~1k miles a year and otherwise its garaged in climate controlled space. But even if the PPF needs to be replaced more often, that wouldn't be an issue to me so long as it's quick and easy to install.. and most importantly, looks unnoticeable installed.
If garaged, I would imagine the film would last a looooooong time. How long I don't know as my former truck was 9 when I sold it, but the film still looked new (also garaged, but definitely driven). Speed of PPF install would depend on familiarity, skill, etc on the application IMO. I keep banging the same drum, but IME adequate prep is key in the long term success of this sort of thing. It's not sexy and you often don't feel like you're making headway, but it's completely necessary if you want it to look good.

If garaged, I would imagine the film would last a looooooong time. How long I don't know as my former truck was 9 when I sold it, but the film still looked new (also garaged, but definitely driven). Speed of PPF install would depend on familiarity, skill, etc on the application IMO. I keep banging the same drum, but IME adequate prep is key in the long term success of this sort of thing. It's not sexy and you often don't feel like you're making headway, but it's completely necessary if you want it to look good.
Thats what I'm interested in seeing... prep needed to get perfect results of someone with zero PPF experience applying a single piece of film over large LC headlights. Do they sell this precut and contoured to the headlights?

Thats what I'm interested in seeing... prep needed to get perfect results of someone with zero PPF experience applying a single piece of film over large LC headlights.
With a bit of time and good setup, I have faith you could do this. @HUZZAH too. It just takes patience. Which I find lacking sometimes in myself.

Thanks for this -- was preparing to polish one more time and this inspired me to look for headlights. Found a dealer with a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale -- something like $180 shipped/ea.

Been pondering the OEM or going something dumb and likely much less quality. 😂 However, I park in a garage so maybe these wouldn’t be so bad…..

Been pondering the OEM or going something dumb and likely much less quality. 😂 However, I park in a garage so maybe these wouldn’t be so bad…..

When it comes to headlights, OEM gets my vote. Particularly with how cheap the 08-11 lights are from the dealer.

Meh... as much as I like black bezel headlamps on black vehicles (two of my vehicles have it), those don't do it for me. The combination of BMW halo + Audi underline DRL (5 LED dots under the low and high beam) look too ricey, even if our rigs are Japanese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom