New Headlights installed for 2008 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed new OEM Toyota lights this weekend. They were $222 each with free shipping. Taking the front bumper off was easier than anticipated and everything went smoothly. If you are tired of polishing your old headlights, just order new ones. I have a few videos that I can upload to YouTube showing what bolts to take off but I found most of the information on here. 2-3 hour job.

IMG_4936.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4947.jpeg

IMG_4950.jpeg

Update Link for how to

Last edited:
Did the same for my 2013 a couple months ago, with great results. Only my headlights were more like $600 each. But totally worth it to be able to stop polishing them every three months.

I did remove the whole bumper cover.. even with my modified-for-a-light-bar grille blocking access to a couple of the clips it only took ~15 mins to get the whole skin off.

I plan to sand and clearcoat the old ones then sell them used to recover some of the cost.. we'll see how that goes.

Oh, and Lisle 22850 hose pinchers are great for preventing all the washer fluid draining out of the hose if you do remove the whole bumper skin.

Why do the old headlights need polishing all the time?
Stock lenses are made of Polycarbonate but it isn’t UV resistant. From the factory there is a hard but very thin coating applied that prevents degradation. Road use causes physical damage to this coating exposing the underlying poly which starts to degrade and that damage moves under the coating and spreads. This is why modern headlight lenses yellow.

To restore the clear look you must sand off the yellowed surface and polish that to be clear. Some companies offer products that supposedly prevent further yellowing but I haven’t found any that truly work for the long term. Clear coating is a good solution but I didn’t want to do that on the vehicle..

I installed new OEM Toyota lights this weekend. They were $222 each with free shipping. Taking the front bumper off was easier than anticipated and everything went smoothly. If you are tired of polishing your old headlights, just order new ones. I have a few videos that I can upload to YouTube showing what bolts to take off but I found most of the information on here. 2-3 hour job.

View attachment 3478482

View attachment 3478483

View attachment 3478484

View attachment 3478485
Put Xpel on those new lenses and they will last a lot longer than the originals.
I have put Xpel on my last three Toyotas and they have remained like new for the life of the vehicle.

Put some clear coat on those ASAP and they might last! I just bought some opti-lens coating on the recommendation of a fellow mudder, but haven't tried it out yet.

So jealous. New headlight housings for the LX570 are like $1200 each :mad:

Great job. I changed mine a few years ago and they are holding up well. Have xpel on them. Changing out fogs as well.

Great job. I changed mine a few years ago and they are holding up well. Have xpel on them. Changing out fogs as well.
my 08 fogs you can push them back by hand. winder why that is

my 08 lights have some “peeling” on top. otherwise no fading. thus holding off still

my 08 lights have some “peeling” on top. otherwise no fading. thus holding off still
The fogs have a plastic mounting bracket “glued” to the bumper skin. Bracket probably loose.

Nice work! +1 for the XPEL recommendation.

It has been the only thing I KNOW has prevented yellowing of my headlights. I've tried opticoat, sanding, etc. The latter options sound good enough but they're not. I've got another car that I tried opticoat on that has one headlight looking great and one yellowing.

My fogs push back as well. Plan is to take bumper off next summer and replace fogs / do some rust prevention. Wife decided we needed a pontoon boat(needs work )so that has been taking all my time and energy.

They didn’t have an issue stretching xpel around our really crazy shaped lenses?

I haven't done any 200s personally, but do have the headlights covered by the xpel film. It's cut in a way that covers most of the lens (2016+) high impact areas and the cuts offer relief without weird distortions in the film. I'd be willing to try the application process if something happens to my film that's currently in place.

Anyone do the fog lights? Am I reading this correctly that you have to glue them in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom