New flange to adapt 84+ drive shaft to 80 pinion flange (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
I'm sure this is a super basic question, but I'm a 1 bannana mechanic, and I don't even know what to google to get the right parts.

I swapped the trans out of an 85, into my 80, (because the original trans was toast, and i had the 85 already

I put 85 drive shafts in because the lengths were right, but only 2 holes line up where the drive shaft.

Can anyone tell me what parts I need to get to change out the flange on the axle side to match the 80 pinions flanges?

I tried just drilling the rear pinion flange and it turned into a mess, breaking like 3 11mm drillbits, before my brother told me just to swap the flanges.

If there is a walk-through on swapping them, that would be awesome too.

Thanks,

Eric-

what i did originally was just swap the 80 slip yolk onto the 85 shaft.

all truck flanges are the same, other than the bolt holes.
just buy a couple of 84+ flanges and swap them out.
the 80 should have solid spacers, so you don't have to reset pinion preload.

I'm sure this is a super basic question, but I'm a 1 bannana mechanic, and I don't even know what to google to get the right parts.

I swapped the trans out of an 85, into my 80, (because the original trans was toast, and i had the 85 already

I put 85 drive shafts in because the lengths were right, but only 2 holes line up where the drive shaft.

Can anyone tell me what parts I need to get to change out the flange on the axle side to match the 80 pinions flanges?

I tried just drilling the rear pinion flange and it turned into a mess, breaking like 3 11mm drillbits, before my brother told me just to swap the flanges.

If there is a walk-through on swapping them, that would be awesome too.

Thanks,

Eric-
How about swapping the flange end of one DS with the flange end of the other DS by installing it on the other U-Joint. Are the U-Joints the same?

In my past, I adapted a 3/4T DS to a 1/2T driveline by changing the U-Joint to an adapter style that had the 3/4T dimensions on one side of the cross and the 1/2T dimensions on the other side of the cross.

I'll bet you can find one, but you'll need some calipers and book time to find the right one and it definitely won't be a Toyota part.

I have the old drive shafts, I'll see if they are the same size u-joint.

I was hoping to avoid changing the flange on the diff, as you get into pre-load etc.. whereas the drive shaft is simple. but Thanks for the link, It'll be a good reference if I go that way, I had to replace the pinion bearing on the diff of my fj40, so it's not unlikely I'll need it eventually.

Thanks Everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom