Recreating hard to find/expensive parts for 79-83 Pickups (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been working on 79 pickup that spent 20 years sat in the Arizona sun. This means anything plastic in the truck would fall apart if you looked at it wrong.
I spent a lot of time searching Facebook marketplace and eBay for parts and in a lot of cases came up empty or when I would find a part it would be way too expensive.

Decided I would make my own parts in some cases and I think in almost all cases what I've created I like better than the original.

1. Arm rests/Door pulls:
IMG_3866.jpg

2. My truck is a 79 but I bought a new dash bezel for a 81-83 I think. I was going to Vintage Air for A/C so this style dash bezel worked better for my needs with the opening for A/C controls instead of solid area with openings for sliders. This came without the cubby above the radio so I 3d printed a bezel for Vintage Air controls that screw right into the bezel and 3d printed a cubby that is deep enough to hold my phone and I added a mag safe wireless charger.
IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

3. Fuse box cover (mine was missing). While I was at it, I decided to add extra fuse holders in the lid.
IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

4. Replaced the window vents that are on 79/80 dashes with tweeter pods:
IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

5. Created a new firewall wiper cowl cover. This is 18 ga steel and I 3d printed dies and used a 20 ton press to shape the sheet metal. I'm not the first use 3d printing to form steel so I was pretty sure it would work.
IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3825 2.jpg

First off, this is amazing. My 1982 spent a lot of time in the AZ sun, so I understand what you mean about the parts just falling apart. All I can say is well done !!

If you're taking requests, let me know! I have a few parts that I would love to have printed.

I've been exploring Vintage Air AC for my truck, so I'm quite impressed with how you placed those controls. I'm still a while away before I tackle AC, but would love to know more. Where I've been getting caught up with these aftermarket AC systems is how the systems work overall and where to mount the "box" (for lack of better terms). I'd love to see more of your system.

First off, this is amazing. My 1982 spent a lot of time in the AZ sun, so I understand what you mean about the parts just falling apart. All I can say is well done !!

If you're taking requests, let me know! I have a few parts that I would love to have printed.

I've been exploring Vintage Air AC for my truck, so I'm quite impressed with how you placed those controls. I'm still a while away before I tackle AC, but would love to know more. Where I've been getting caught up with these aftermarket AC systems is how the systems work overall and where to mount the "box" (for lack of better terms). I'd love to see more of your system.
I can provide some detail on what parts I'm going with. I'm using a "peanut" a/c compressor and I made my own a/c bracket to mount that but other than that it's all vintage air stuff. I had a heck of a time finding a condenser and the one I got doesn't fit great. I'm going to have to modify the brackets slightly to get it to work.

The current project for 3d printing are the small L shaped plastic pieces that are in the back corners of the head liner. I only have 1 and it's super brittle.

I can provide some detail on what parts I'm going with. I'm using a "peanut" a/c compressor and I made my own a/c bracket to mount that but other than that it's all vintage air stuff. I had a heck of a time finding a condenser and the one I got doesn't fit great. I'm going to have to modify the brackets slightly to get it to work.

The current project for 3d printing are the small L shaped plastic pieces that are in the back corners of the head liner. I only have 1 and it's super brittle.

3D Printing: I also only have 1 of those L pieces and would really love 2 new ones. If you're open to it, I'd gladly pay for materials, your time, and shipping. It drives me nuts every time I sit in the truck. If I upgrade to Vintage AC, I might not need them, but my defrost ducts (connected to dash pad) are complete toast. I'd love some new ones, since it might be a while on AC.

AC: I've been reading a bunch on these systems, so I think I have a better understanding of what you have going on. I have a factory condenser, drier, compressor, and lines. I think I have 2 options. First, I can rip out all the factory crap and put in an "all-in-one" system, like the heritage under dash system. My second option would be to pull out the factory stuff, put in a "Gen 2" unit, and connect it to the existing duct work. Sounds like you have one of the "Gen 2" style units and not an "all-in-one" set up?

You are way further along than me. I am working on adapting the newer bezel to the 79 a/c controls...

20240101_181157.jpg

Fantastic work by both of you all.

3D Printing: I also only have 1 of those L pieces and would really love 2 new ones. If you're open to it, I'd gladly pay for materials, your time, and shipping. It drives me nuts every time I sit in the truck. If I upgrade to Vintage AC, I might not need them, but my defrost ducts (connected to dash pad) are complete toast. I'd love some new ones, since it might be a while on AC.

AC: I've been reading a bunch on these systems, so I think I have a better understanding of what you have going on. I have a factory condenser, drier, compressor, and lines. I think I have 2 options. First, I can rip out all the factory crap and put in an "all-in-one" system, like the heritage under dash system. My second option would be to pull out the factory stuff, put in a "Gen 2" unit, and connect it to the existing duct work. Sounds like you have one of the "Gen 2" style units and not an "all-in-one" set up?
I’ve made these and I’m selling them here: RetroReviveParts - Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/RetroReviveParts Pretty much spot on with original minus the texture.

IMG_3957.jpeg
IMG_3967.jpeg
IMG_3963.jpeg
IMG_3958.jpeg
IMG_3937.jpeg

Last edited:
I will pm you for a set here soon

Hey what else is on your re-creating list? I am not very far belong but i am just about at the point to do the headliner. but if you are developing something else i need I can wait on ordering the trim...

So far what I've posted above is what is available. I have an upholstery sewing machine on order but it's a while out. My plan is to start offering upholstered options in black, blue, gray, tan or brown vinyl. Also planning on offering more finished version of the trim pieces for those who don't care to sand/paint the pieces themselves, if they aren't ok with the 3d printed look.

Ok well your etsy store is showing empty. when you get some more trim pieces. I will need to order a set from you. I bought my truck in boxes so as i find other stuff I need, I will let you know to see if you are considering making them.

I closed down Etsy, it got no traffic and they charge you monthly. I'm going to do a real website but for now they're on eBay, I've had good luck there so far.

Thank you. Got my order in

I've started a website to sell my products from there. I'm also offering refinished headliner trim in tan, brown and gray and still offering the unfinished black.

So my unfinished ones arrived. I am good with black and the texture is good, so do I need to put something on these as a UV blocker? Maybe a clear coat of some sort, or do you recommend some black epoxy paint (since it seems to stick to most things) to protect it from indirect UV rays? Otherwise they look good the way they are to me.

So my unfinished ones arrived. I am good with black and the texture is good, so do I need to put something on these as a UV blocker? Maybe a clear coat of some sort, or do you recommend some black epoxy paint (since it seems to stick to most things) to protect it from indirect UV rays? Otherwise they look good the way they are to me.
The one's I've been finishing I do a light sanding, use a filler primer (any kind should do) and then paint. I'm sure you could just shoot with a clear coat if you'd like that would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom